Far Right Banned by Facebook

You're not racist for scrutinising Abbott but if you apply more scrutiny to her than you do other MPs and if you laugh a lot longer at her slip ups than anyone elses it probably has something to do with her being black.

Or being a woman.

Or a prominent Labour MP.

It's fine to scrutinise Abbott and to find her mistakes irritating/amusing. However the facts that she gets so much more flack than any other MP and has done for years and she is also one of the few black MPs who will call out the UKs history of racism are so obviously linked.

You're not racist for scrutinising Abbott but if you apply more scrutiny to her than you do other MPs and if you laugh a lot longer at her slip ups than anyone elses it probably has something to do with her being black.

NB: this doesn't mean you're a bad person, just that you've picked up bad habits because we live in a racist society. One huge problem we have with racism these days is no one will admit to racist thoughts because there's the idea that racists are bad people. In reality most people will harbour some racial prejudice and not all of those people are evil. It's much more complex than racists are hateful and I'm not so I can't be racist and therefore neither can the opinion I'm holding

Nice sweeping generalisation there.

We have to do unconscious bias training at work as the "number of BAME employee`s at a senior level doesn`t reflect the population".

My mindset (despite the training!) is that we employ the best person for the job irrespective of their protected characteristics.

I care not a jot if DA is black, female or a Labour MP .............. she is a 100% "post Turtle" who got the post because of her characteristics not despite them.

It's fine to scrutinise Abbott and to find her mistakes irritating/amusing. However the facts that she gets so much more flack than any other MP and has done for years and she is also one of the few black MPs who will call out the UKs history of racism are so obviously linked.

NB: this doesn't mean you're a bad person, just that you've picked up bad habits because we live in a racist society. One huge problem we have with racism these days is no one will admit to racist thoughts because there's the idea that racists are bad people. In reality most people will harbour some racial prejudice and not all of those people are evil. It's much more complex than racists are hateful and I'm not so I can't be racist and therefore neither can the opinion I'm holding
Or are you looking for racism, so automatically attune any criticism as racist by default as a consequence? If you have a firm belief we live in a "racist society", every criticism of a minority is racist by default to confirm your own bias. Rather than saying Abbott was wrong with her comments about Mao, her sums were wrong again, people are called "racist" for pointing it out. Or saying Lammy's comments about Stacey Dooley were unfair, it's "racist" to criticise him.

Until the hoards step back from their binary perception of racism, mis-gendering or whatever they want to be offended by next, their very cause will not be taken seriously by the masses. Because all they do is label people in the same way they complain other people are.

Diane Abbott is an idiot because she makes silly comments and is a massive hypocrite. The same as Mark Francois. The same as Boris Johnson. The same as Angus Robertson. The same as Jeremy Corbyn. Etc.

Interesting points.

I guess firstly I have only ever considered the reason that DA gets so much attention is because she seems to make so many huge gaffs. Certainly I have never ever considered this level of attention/criticism to be a racist thing.

Maybe you remember Spitting Image... Comedy gold as far as I was concerned and again it sent up anyone and everyone who was famous in the day. Certainly no racism angle there either from what I recall, but the sad thing today is that maybe many people would look to find such an angle... A bit like some of the comments in this thread.

As to your final point, you mention about picking up habits of racial prejudice. I guess that can work both ways too. How many times do we see headlines about someone not getting a job or there being an ethnic imbalance in employment and the racism card is thrown in. Is it racism or are there just better equipped candidates?

It’s easy for people to be a racist or become a racist but at the same time it’s easy to feel aggrieved about situations because of ones colour when the reality could just as feasibly have nothing what so ever to do with it.

Basically, what I am saying is that if I didn’t succeed in getting my dream job or if I had the P**s taken out of me, or if I got arrested, I can’t throw in the “is it because I’m white” card whereas if you are black it seems that you can.

Caveat: I’ve only read the first page of this thread.

I’d agree with Tony W on this. Suppression of any thought or voice, regardless of how insane we believe it, is a dangerous precedent. People were burnt in history for believing the earth to be spherical or for suggesting God didn’t exist. To this day there are communities who are hell bent on suppressing the emancipation of women or other causes we would deem reasonable, and their first action and port of call is to threaten or shut down counter conversation.

True human progress, and evolution of thought and ideas, comes from having genuine challenging conversation. If we believe in our ideals they’ll be strengthened by dialogue and challenge. Shut down the opposing opinion and we’ll forget our reasons for our ideals, fail to evolve them, and also give a a shadowy strength to certain groups by the myth they then become.

We absolutely should not tolerate the government or corporations managing the conversations we permit. The irony is of course it’s an extremist trait to shut down conversation as part of its totalitarianism so you’re advocating one of their principles.

My issue with David Lammy is how ignorant he is. It's sad that some like to paint criticism of him or Abbott as a purely race thing, rather than just a criticism of opinion or knowledge.

That said, there is a persistent minority who will racially/gender/sexuality/religiously/politically abuse people, and that is never on and never right in any circumstance. Let's not tar everyone as that by default to shut down criticism or discussion.
Cassox doesn’t even know anything about football, never mind grown up politics! He doesn’t rate Jake Wright. I think he might be one of those young hard cases that hang around on that mound by the away exit after games.

"Far-right surges on terrible night for mainstream conservatives

Sunday’s vote was a humiliation for the People’s party (PP), the traditional conservative party of government in Spain, as the anti-feminist, anti-immigration Vox party won 24 seats in parliament, the most significant victory by a far-right party since the end of Franco’s dictatorship. PP’s leader, Pablo Casado, admitted the election results were “very bad” after the number of seats in parliament held by his party more than halved from 137 in 2016’s vote to 66."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...lls-for-third-time-in-four-years-live-updates

Just putting it out there....

"Far-right surges on terrible night for mainstream conservatives

Sunday’s vote was a humiliation for the People’s party (PP), the traditional conservative party of government in Spain, as the anti-feminist, anti-immigration Vox party won 24 seats in parliament, the most significant victory by a far-right party since the end of Franco’s dictatorship. PP’s leader, Pablo Casado, admitted the election results were “very bad” after the number of seats in parliament held by his party more than halved from 137 in 2016’s vote to 66."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...lls-for-third-time-in-four-years-live-updates

Just putting it out there....
Yes it’s worrying. There are some evil people out there plus a lot who arent too bright and are easy to manipulate . You see them here, they think Boris is a man of the people and Rees Mogg is on their side

Yes it’s worrying. There are some evil people out there plus a lot who arent too bright and are easy to manipulate . You see them here, they think Boris is a man of the people and Rees Mogg is on their side

The flip side of that sweeping statement is that their vote counts as much as that of anyone else.
If politicians didn`t reach out to those extremes who would represent them?

Its very easy to point at those in the public eye and say "they are conning you" but show me a politician who isn`t.
Politicians that have stuck to their principals over years or decades are very,very few and far between.

Is representative democracy dead in the water? Should we change to a more public form of deciding....like a referendum? :)

Lazy tues afternoon got me thinking, wonder if i went on a diet of sprouts, eggs n beans and pulses i could brew up a fart so noxious, foul and toxic that it could stand as a ukip candidate in the eu elections? :sick:

Back
Top Bottom