Fan's View Fan'View 2020/21 - No.20 - Hull at home

Great summary of the ticketing process and the game.

One edit, change 10p.m to a.m?

Very good Paul, as per usual with the added detail of the ticketing process. Mirrorred our experience in attempting to get two seats. We ended up in the East stand but, we did get in so must'nt grumble!
It did feel like a better performance from the team, was that an illusion from being there or were they actually playing to a higher, more cohesive style?
That did feel good to be there though, so much so Mrs Lounger was prepared to attempt getting tickets for Tuesday and the P J Trophy nonsense. That was another ticketing farce led, so we were informed, by Ticketmaster deleting all the social distancing data from their system. As luck would have it, we got through on the phone and were promised a call back once tickets could be allocated. This worked and we actually got two sets just one place off our season ticket seats - result!

Their goal: yes, at least two of our defenders were wrestled to the ground as the shot came in. You can see Atkinson’s unimpressed reaction...

Very good Paul, as per usual with the added detail of the ticketing process. Mirrorred our experience in attempting to get two seats. We ended up in the East stand but, we did get in so must'nt grumble!
It did feel like a better performance from the team, was that an illusion from being there or were they actually playing to a higher, more cohesive style?
That did feel good to be there though, so much so Mrs Lounger was prepared to attempt getting tickets for Tuesday and the P J Trophy nonsense. That was another ticketing farce led, so we were informed, by Ticketmaster deleting all the social distancing data from their system. As luck would have it, we got through on the phone and were promised a call back once tickets could be allocated. This worked and we actually got two sets just one place off our season ticket seats - result!
Re the Papa John thing - Given my stance on this competition it would be hypocritical of me to have tried to get tickets. We won't sell out but it will allow non-season ticket holders who were not in with a chance for the Hull game to be there.

Re the Papa John thing - Given my stance on this competition it would be hypocritical of me to have tried to get tickets. We won't sell out but it will allow non-season ticket holders who were not in with a chance for the Hull game to be there.
Perfectly understandable. We tended to be somewhat ambivalent about the competition. As we went to both of the Wembley finals (as much as we tried to forget!) we never considered ourselves as part of a boycott, more not so uninterested in travelling the 3 hour round trip to Grenoble road for the previous games. Now, being just 25 minutes away and eager to see any kind of game, we coughed up a tenner each and are actually quite excited about another live game, in person.
Good to see that tickets are now available on general sale giving non-season ticket holders a chance to attend as well.

Enjoyable as always, cheers. Hadn't seen their manager's comments about us being the best pressing side in the league - I can only imagine that is for the benefit of the typical Hull fan, who will have had no idea idea how we play and will take his word for it, to try and explain away that opening half an hour.

On us not even being playoff candidates, perhaps it's blind optimism from me, but I don't think we should write off the season just yet. Not only have there been obvious signs of improvement recently, but if you look at the league table, we've played 9 of the current top 10. After this weekend, the only side in the top half (as it stands) we won't have played is Donny. On the other hand, of the bottom 10 (not including ourselves, obviously), we've only played four. With the league table starting to take shape, that represents a pretty tough schedule to start the season.

Not surprisingly, we do better against the worse teams in the division: of those four games against bottom-of-the-table sides we've won three (lets not talk about the fourth). We've also got creditable draws against three of the current top four in the last week or so, and it's worth noting that Accrington, who we beat comfortably, could conceivably go top if they win their three games in hand.

I don't think it would be too unreasonable to say that we had a difficult start to the season on paper, with some unfortunate injuries, individual errors, and teething problems with new players compounding that difficulty. This month will be crucial: if we can hit a run of form against some of the poorer sides in this division, I can see us making our way up the table and pushing on in the new year.

On the mark as usual Paul, but one thing I haven't seen widely mentioned is a clear-cut penalty about with about 10/15 to go. Now I know there is always lots of pushing and pulling at corners but after a warning from the ref, Honeyman 'marked' Moore - he was never watching the ball and quite simply put his hands around Moore's waist and then pulled him to the floor as the ball came in.

We were right behind the goal and had the clearest view. The disappointing thing is that this is so common even the player appeals were half-hearted.

On the mark as usual Paul, but one thing I haven't seen widely mentioned is a clear-cut penalty about with about 10/15 to go. Now I know there is always lots of pushing and pulling at corners but after a warning from the ref, Honeyman 'marked' Moore - he was never watching the ball and quite simply put his hands around Moore's waist and then pulled him to the floor as the ball came in.

We were right behind the goal and had the clearest view. The disappointing thing is that this is so common even the player appeals were half-hearted.

From where we were sitting didn't spot that at all. And according to Hull they were denied a clear cut penalty early on. Can't say as I saw that either.
The type of incident like the Honeyman / Moore one make me so angry. There seems to be an agreement amongst referees that they will enforce some laws of the game but ignore others almost completely. About 80 or 90% of shirt puling is brushed aside. It's ridiculous.

Enjoyable as always, cheers. Hadn't seen their manager's comments about us being the best pressing side in the league - I can only imagine that is for the benefit of the typical Hull fan, who will have had no idea idea how we play and will take his word for it, to try and explain away that opening half an hour.

On us not even being playoff candidates, perhaps it's blind optimism from me, but I don't think we should write off the season just yet. Not only have there been obvious signs of improvement recently, but if you look at the league table, we've played 9 of the current top 10. After this weekend, the only side in the top half (as it stands) we won't have played is Donny. On the other hand, of the bottom 10 (not including ourselves, obviously), we've only played four. With the league table starting to take shape, that represents a pretty tough schedule to start the season.

Not surprisingly, we do better against the worse teams in the division: of those four games against bottom-of-the-table sides we've won three (lets not talk about the fourth). We've also got creditable draws against three of the current top four in the last week or so, and it's worth noting that Accrington, who we beat comfortably, could conceivably go top if they win their three games in hand.

I don't think it would be too unreasonable to say that we had a difficult start to the season on paper, with some unfortunate injuries, individual errors, and teething problems with new players compounding that difficulty. This month will be crucial: if we can hit a run of form against some of the poorer sides in this division, I can see us making our way up the table and pushing on in the new year.
I have not completely written us off as a top six side but on the evidence so far even with the improvement I can't quite see it. The transfer window opens again in Jan though and that can change many things at many clubs.

Thank you, Paul: a very fair analysis. I also noticed live time how some of our defenders ended up on the floor just before they scored. This kind of cheating is almost ubiquitous, but can have such an impact, especially in tight games. I agree with your comments about shirt-pulling, too. It spoils an important aspect of the game. In the circumstances, it was beyond the usual levels of hypocrisy for McCann to claim make such a fuss claiming that Ruffels's excellent challenge in the box was a penalty.

From where we were sitting didn't spot that at all. And according to Hull they were denied a clear cut penalty early on. Can't say as I saw that either.
The type of incident like the Honeyman / Moore one make me so angry. There seems to be an agreement amongst referees that they will enforce some laws of the game but ignore others almost completely. About 80 or 90% of shirt puling is brushed aside. It's ridiculous.
I think I remember the Hull claim, the guy either actually missed the ball under a challenge or kicked the ground, that was also right in front of us and never a penalty.

On the other side, we noticed how Hull didn't seem to have done their homework and didn't press us that much, or at least not until later in the game. They actually gave us a chance to push on and try to get the ball moving more quickly than we have been.

Ah, us exiles living in tier 3 don't have the worries of navigating the online ticket system , we are just simply banned from even trying or thinking about buying a ticket!
On the bright side that does take away the stress of it all. Hope the revision of the tiers on Dec 16 is kind to you. And everyone else come to that but I can't see it somehow. The number of new cases announced today and yesterday were higher than those announced a week ago.

Back
Top Bottom