Fan's View Fan's View - WHU

A write up to match the occasion, thank you Paul.

Your mention of the betting odds brought two memories to mind, first, one of the regulars on our table managed to place a who will score bet on a player not even in the squad (oh yes, we did take the P**s!) and 4-0 OUFC to win was at 100-1 (I did hear that someone had taken those odds but have no concrete proof)

We should be expecting a result tomorrow but, isn't it the way, we are slightly nervous that it will all go pear shaped?

A write up to match the occasion, thank you Paul.

Your mention of the betting odds brought two memories to mind, first, one of the regulars on our table managed to place a who will score bet on a player not even in the squad (oh yes, we did take the P**s!) and 4-0 OUFC to win was at 100-1 (I did hear that someone had taken those odds but have no concrete proof)

We should be expecting a result tomorrow but, isn't it the way, we are slightly nervous that it will all go pear shaped?
The only bet I placed was James Henry to score at any time at odds of 11/2. As penalty taker it looked reasonable. No need to laugh because some bookmakers have a box to tick - which says if player not a starter the bet is void. So lost nothing. An Oxford win was 7/1 with some. Should have done that instead.
Yes I am quite nervous about tomorrow. Chatted to Selfy after the game and he had the "after the lord mayor's show" worry.

Thanks Paul, You mention … the first half never took off. I would like to think that was down to KR plan and tactics, keep it tight, don't give them any chances, don't take any risks, keep the shape, and we will step it up in 2nd half.

Thanks Paul, You mention … the first half never took off. I would like to think that was down to KR plan and tactics, keep it tight, don't give them any chances, don't take any risks, keep the shape, and we will step it up in 2nd half.
I would like to think so too. We never lost our shape. Each player knew his role and did as instructed. Great credit to KR but some with blinkers on will refuse to acknowledge that.

I thought we started the first half pretty well, and did create those two chances. And although West Ham did come into it more as the half went on, it was excellent that we didn't panic. The applause at half time was for a job well done I thought. The second half was of course all ours.

Great as ever Paul.

I feel guilty that I’m flying home tomorrow morning and so will contribute to the predictable drop off in crowd numbers. They deserve a bumper attendance.

Also agree the game felt very strangely flat first half and our supporters were very flat indeed. We miss the ultras. If our new PR Twitter master could somehow resurrect them and financially support them then it would do the world of good.

When people say , we miss the ultras, surely they still attend . They just don't put up the bunting any more. That doesn't detract any atmosphere surely does it ?

When people say , we miss the ultras, surely they still attend . They just don't put up the bunting any more. That doesn't detract any atmosphere surely does it ?

I think it creates a presence. And an underlying vibe. Compare the quiet entrance for the team on Wednesday to last year when Man City visited.

It makes all the difference I find, yes there is still a section of the East Stand where the chants start and spread to the rest of the stadium, but the ultras werent just about the singing. It was the flags, the colour, the displays, they were the ones who really got behind the team when we were down and sang louder than anyone else at the big games like Man City last year. The club shot themselves in the foot by messing them around so much and really didnt show them the respect they deserved for what they were doing on match days.

I thought the only problem was that they didnt appear to be the most inviting and it wasnt really until them getting moved to Block 21 did it look like they ever actively tried to attract more people via social media. Having said that, a return a la the Green Brigade at Celtic, making a point to the club and inviting more people to stand and sing with them through chants, social media and word of mouth would be nice to see although I think its past that point.

Anyway, fantastic FV @Paul B as ever. The team really grew in confidence from keeping it tight and matching West Ham in the first half. The second half we were absolutely unplayable.

Back
Top Bottom