Fan's View - Sunderland Away

They've agreed to pay £40M to Short. Where they get the money from is their concern: perhaps they are selling other assets; borrowing; have other investors; or are hoping to cut costs and increase revenues enough that they can use the parachute payments instead. Short is just making sure he gets it by ringfencing the parachute payments.

It's not that different to what Eales has done with the transfer fees for players sold or on the books when he sold to Tiger.

Except conceptually, I think parachute payments are to give an income for future seasons after relegation from EPL where clubs naturally have a higher player wage bill and other costs that don't go down immediately, whereas tv money will go down and attendances too in general.

Whereas transfer fees due are simply a delayed payment for a past transaction.

You are right that the SD and Tiger deals are basically the same with deferred payments linked to known future income, or other investments. However I would imagine that Tiger could cover the operating costs of Oxford a lot longer than SD can cover Sunderlands without significant additional funding. Without promotion and/or Satori this could go badly pretty soon!

You are right that the SD and Tiger deals are basically the same with deferred payments linked to known future income, or other investments. However I would imagine that Tiger could cover the operating costs of Oxford a lot longer than SD can cover Sunderlands without significant additional funding. Without promotion and/or Satori this could go badly pretty soon!
But they have Satori?
I agree that they could struggle if they don't go up this season.
I thought that on Saturday they seemed to have confidence and grit when they had to battle back with 10 men.
Although we were excellent I was a little surprised in their lack of quality on the day.

But they have Satori?
I agree that they could struggle if they don't go up this season.
I thought that on Saturday they seemed to have confidence and grit when they had to battle back with 10 men.
Although we were excellent I was a little surprised in their lack of quality on the day.
They have Satori but only for a few quid, miss out on promotion this year and he'll have to dig a lot deeper or they will be in real trouble. They undoubtedly have quality in their side, but we showed that they are far from invincible and they acted like spoilt kids when we wouldn't let them play. How they react after a few defeats will say a lot about their chances this season and any celebrations from the Chinos Kid!

I’d guess Donald is hoping Sartori isn’t paying with bolivar.

A Sunderland fan has along with wishing us good luck for the rest of the season commented,"Just a small note of reference, the parachute payments Sunderland are due will go directly to Ellis Short the former owner to cover payment for the club. The team won’t benefit in the slightest because of these payments."

I perhaps should have spent a bit of time on the terms of the takeover because they've not actually spent millions. They're obviously a bit biased but this makes interesting reading.
https://www.themag.co.uk/2018/05/re...0m-asking-price-instalments-newcastle-united/

Here's a direct lift from it.

As for paying for the deal, this is going to be painful for Sunderland fans.
As Stewart Donald and minority shareholder Charlie Methven have revealed that they couldn’t afford to pay the £40m up front for Sunderland.
Instead they have been given two years to pay the money.
On top of that, the new owners were forced to admit that the £40m takeover on credit isn’t secured against any of their own assets, instead it has been secured against the club’s parachute payments over the course of the next two years.

After receiving £41m this past (2017/18) season, Sunderland (Stewart Donald and his co-shareholders) will receive in excess of £40m in Premier League parachute payments over the course of the next two years.
The vision Sunderland fans had of mega-rich new owners taking over, is quickly falling apart.
If they continued to struggle, you would have to question the ability of the new owners to be able to fund Sunderland.

That can't be the case, Charlie told us what Tiger/DE had done was wrong and outrageous.

I'd liken it to a player returning to his previous long-term club with his new side, scoring, then celebrating in muted fashion, i.e. showing some class.
Indeed, and bare in mind that returning players are rarely fans of their previous clubs. They simply have, as you say, some class.

How is taking over a thousand away to your first four away games (we will to Wycombe) after a bad start poor for a side who average 6,000 at home? We will have taken roughly 20/25% of our support to those games in 6 weeks, that’s pretty impressive.

People only have so much time and money, most struggle to make home and a couple of aways a season. As a percentage of home crowds I would bet our away average over the last 4/5 years holds up against most teams in the football league.

Another thought was that our away support seemed quite low for what is arguably the biggest away game of the season. By which I mean I was imagining a Premier League or Championship side selling out that away stand with 3,000 or whatever it holds. So no disrespect to the 1280 who travelled a very long way, but we've got far to go to build up our home and away attendances.
I go to Sunderland regularly as I live in Durham and can't travel down much, very few times have I seen more fans than we had except the top 6 Newcastle and Leeds, reading and Fulham only had about 200 last time they played there even West Ham had less than we did last week

I go to Sunderland regularly as I live in Durham and can't travel down much, very few times have I seen more fans than we had except the top 6 Newcastle and Leeds, reading and Fulham only had about 200 last time they played there even West Ham had less than we did last week
I must admit that I was very surprised at Mark's comments.
I was pleasantly surprised that we took 1300 and it appears that our away crowds are excellent if compared to what we get at home.

Back
Top Bottom