Fan's View - Sunderland at home

Agree with you about the pitch, looked very poor in front of the South stand. That it won't last the season must be a worry to all.

As to the treatment of Mackie by the ref, did you not catch the ref looking over to Mackie and giving him the sign of two fingers to the yes and mouthing "I'm watching you"? He had obviously made up his mind from kick off that Mackie was up to no good and any remote sign of an infringement was to be given against Mackie.
Not that I had much confidence in the officials anyway.

Know what you mean about the late equalizer, that felt so good!

Great write up as usual Paul. Re James Henry, I read/heard somewhere his little child was in hospital so perhaps that was on his mind.

There's obviously some reason. We could all see he was way below par. If his kiddie is in hospital then hopefully the club will give him a sensible amount of time off.

James Henry had little sleep all week because of his kiddy in hospital. I have long thought when JH plays well we play well. On one of his good days at least one of his chances would have gone in.

Last edited:
Have now added an excellent photo taken by Steve Daniels which provides more evidence of how absolutely shocking the referee was.

The pitch is something we need to sort. Considering our style of play is to play to the full back and for them to progress the ball to Whyte/Browne/Graham, I don't see how they can enjoy playing in a sand pit in front of the south stand when they are carrying the ball. Hanson was also caught out with the bounce for one of the Barnsley goals.

Agree with you about the pitch, looked very poor in front of the South stand. That it won't last the season must be a worry to all.

As to the treatment of Mackie by the ref, did you not catch the ref looking over to Mackie and giving him the sign of two fingers to the yes and mouthing "I'm watching you"? He had obviously made up his mind from kick off that Mackie was up to no good and any remote sign of an infringement was to be given against Mackie.

I thought Mackie deserved his booking as it was the third time he had jumped into the defender, as his his way, without ever trying to win the ball and the ref had already warned him about it. The fact that he got a knock on the head when doing so is a bit irrelevant.

I thought Mackie deserved his booking as it was the third time he had jumped into the defender, as his his way, without ever trying to win the ball and the ref had already warned him about it. The fact that he got a knock on the head when doing so is a bit irrelevant.

I agree with your point about Mackie, I wish he would just focus on the ball and the rest will come. But it was noticeable that the Ref ignored Mackie being held, pushed or being jumped into.

I can agree with that but that doesn't mean he doesn't deserve protection too, like when he got whacked on the back of his head

Rare to praise the refs in this league - but that was actually a sensationally good decision not to award a free kick at the end.

It was a dive by the centre back, who'd got himself into a terrible position, but in that spot on the field - when there's likely to be little or no controversy if you do blow up - I'll wager 99% of refs give a free kick.

Does make you wonder if the Ref's have some sort of 'Whats App' group discussing players!

Mackie will always attract the unwanted attention of officials. That’s the way he plays. I like his attitude but he needs to be more careful than others about his aggression and how he applies it.

Mackie will always attract the unwanted attention of officials. That’s the way he plays. I like his attitude but he needs to be more careful than others about his aggression and how he applies it.
Very true, but why Charlie Wyke is not on the officials radar makes no sense. Probably because Wyke has played for teams with a lower profile than Mackie has and also less games. What Wyke was doing illegally though was much more blatant that what Mackie was up to.

Very true, but why Charlie Wyke is not on the officials radar makes no sense. Probably because Wyke has played for teams with a lower profile than Mackie has and also less games. What Wyke was doing illegally though was much more blatant that what Mackie was up to.
Perhaps that’s the answer: Mackie needs to be more subtle! In a perverse way I’m quite enjoying hearing that other teams think we’re a little ‘rough’ at times. We’ve been too nice for too long.

Perhaps that’s the answer: Mackie needs to be more subtle! In a perverse way I’m quite enjoying hearing that other teams think we’re a little ‘rough’ at times. We’ve been too nice for too long.

Funny that we are being described as 'shithousing' opponents when in reality we are just out fighting them. We don't kick the ball away, buy fouls, waste time.

None the less - good to see us properly competing and holding our own

Funny that we are being described as 'shithousing' opponents when in reality we are just out fighting them. We don't kick the ball away, buy fouls, waste time.

None the less - good to see us properly competing and holding our own
I think the low point of the season was home to Luton - when we DID kick the ball away, waste time etc. And look how much good that did us!

Back
Top Bottom