Fan's View - Southend

Good read as usual Paul and thanks again for your insights.
I thoroughly enjoyed the game and atmosphere and the warm sunshine which brought with it 3 priceless points.
Interesting what you say about the lack of signs that a big match is taking place. I feel that you only have to be a few hundred metres away and you wouldn’t notice anything going on. Isn’t it really more though a psychological distance betweeen the town and club than a physical one?

Thanks for the good report as usual Paul.
You are right about the East stand. The last 3 games have been our supportive best since our walking wardrobe waltzed off to Leicester.
The noise in there on Saturday was truly great again, and I don’t think that I have celebrated as hard as I did after that goal from Ricardinho this season. Collectively, we have found something extra.

An enjoyable and informative read as ever.

I believe the second goal took a fairly significant deflection - the goal camera footage seems to suggest as such too - which I think clears their goalie of any blame.

It was interesting that KR was pointing at our left back as they walked the pitch at the end (in a similar way to how he did for Dickie a few games back) so he obviously likes to ensure that top performers get the credit they deserve.

Whether that means he actually wants him here next season - rather than merely being contractually obliged - I’m not sure. No idea what his wages are but it would be nice to see him here next year - as much as anything he’s seemingly a big character and that is important in a dressing room.

I believe the second goal took a fairly significant deflection - the goal camera footage seems to suggest as such too - which I think clears their goalie of any blame.

It was interesting that KR was pointing at our left back as they walked the pitch at the end (in a similar way to how he did for Dickie a few games back) so he obviously likes to ensure that top performers get the credit they deserve.

Whether that means he actually wants him here next season - rather than merely being contractually obliged - I’m not sure. No idea what his wages are but it would be nice to see him here next year - as much as anything he’s seemingly a big character and that is important in a dressing room.
That's a good spot regarding the deflection. I've just watch the goal again in slow motion and that's how it looks. I've done the keeper a disservice.
But that just proves it was going to be our day. Sometimes those little things go for you and sometimes against you. That was confirmed when they hit the post. The only thing that went against us was the referee.

Good read as ever. The store in the Covered Market apparently does good trade with the tourists, but there's quite a lot to see in Oxford(shire), so I guess a League 1 team isn't top of the itenerary. I always thought it may be worth trying to get the students more involved with the club. They generally annoy me, as they seem to think the city only exists for the university, but maybe a charm offensive to the colleges would put a few more bums on seats?

Good read as ever. The store in the Covered Market apparently does good trade with the tourists, but there's quite a lot to see in Oxford(shire), so I guess a League 1 team isn't top of the itenerary. I always thought it may be worth trying to get the students more involved with the club. They generally annoy me, as they seem to think the city only exists for the university, but maybe a charm offensive to the colleges would put a few more bums on seats?

When I was at Brookes I tried to get a few of my friends along and went as far as speaking to the club when they were doing some promo at the Headington campus. Offered to get in contact re: organising ideas to target Brookes students and how they could make it easier such as having a football bus from Brookes to Grenoble Road and really advertising in the main campus or at the sports sites, or doing block tickets for students that aren't here all year round.

Seemed really positive and wanted to take up our offer of communicating with us but never followed it up (surprise surprise).

Its a shame really as I know Brookes used to have a non-league football Society that would get groups to go to Oxford City at home.

I think they still do have one and they still attend some games there.

I used to live in Cheltenham and went to the uni there, they also had difficulty in attracting students to games despite having tickets competitively priced.

Part of the issue with trying to get students to come is the fact that those of that age now have never really known anything but the premier league, when you have been hearing about how great it is and the media propaganda that almost goes as far as suggesting it’s the only league worth knowing about it’s difficult to change this especially when it’s not even that persons local team.

There is a stand at Lincoln which is used for students and most weeks when you see the highlights this is close to empty so it’s an issue all over.

I think, and I may be wrong, that trying to engage tourists would be more successful than students.

For example, I have recently returned drom
Australia where I attended all kinds of different sports (football, rugby league, Australian rules football) because it was an opportunity for me to see the local teams.

When I was in Portugal for the pre season trip the bullring was advertising heavily about events and you were able to buy tickets at the same outlets as all other activities, could we start having tickets available/adverts with these kind of outlets in oxford city centre?

When I was at Brookes I tried to get a few of my friends along and went as far as speaking to the club when they were doing some promo at the Headington campus. Offered to get in contact re: organising ideas to target Brookes students and how they could make it easier such as having a football bus from Brookes to Grenoble Road and really advertising in the main campus or at the sports sites, or doing block tickets for students that aren't here all year round.

Seemed really positive and wanted to take up our offer of communicating with us but never followed it up (surprise surprise).

Its a shame really as I know Brookes used to have a non-league football Society that would get groups to go to Oxford City at home.
Yes they still do. I went to the home game v Dartford the day before we were at Pompey and they had a flag up behind the goal at the covered end.

KR spoke highly of Ricardinho after the game on Saturday. He referred to him as 'a diamond' and assuming that his wages aren't too high I reckon he would want him to stay.
I reckon that he is a very good player. His weakness at times is against a good winger, but I have felt all season that at times our full backs are too exposed to one on ones against decent wide men. KR has already shown enough to suggest that we will be more solid defensively and I am sure that this will include having some cover for out full backs.
Going forward Ricardinho is certainly a threat and he seems to have a natural enthusiasm and to be very popular with the other players.

Yes they still do. I went to the home game v Dartford the day before we were at Pompey and they had a flag up behind the goal at the covered end.
It's very hard to imagine tourists or students going to our games. Apart from the fact that the ground isn't inviting, it's miles from anywhere! It's really hard to get to and to give directions to, especially as those groups will typically not have cars.

KR spoke highly of Ricardinho after the game on Saturday. He referred to him as 'a diamond' and assuming that his wages aren't too high I reckon he would want him to stay.
I reckon that he is a very good player. His weakness at times is against a good winger, but I have felt all season that at times our full backs are too exposed to one on ones against decent wide men. KR has already shown enough to suggest that we will be more solid defensively and I am sure that this will include having some cover for out full backs.
Going forward Ricardinho is certainly a threat and he seems to have a natural enthusiasm and to be very popular with the other players.

Didn’t hear his interview so that’s good to hear.

I also spotted KR gesturing for Ricardinho to continue belting down the wing for the second goal, and he did so in a previous game in the last week too, so he’s clearly encouraging that part of his game.

What I loved about his run on Saturday that led to 2-0 is that it completely took the pressure off the defence. We’d been pinned back for a few minutes and were sitting deep so the ball kept coming straight back. By travelling with the ball, he kept the ball 80 yards up the pitch and ultimately it led to a goal.

Just taking the pressure of the defence as we approached half time made it a worthwhile lung-burster and the goal was a nice bonus!

Good performance and much needed win. Though I thought we rode our luck with Eastwood on form and Simon Cox off form. That said. I am more than happy that the teams our hard work pressing (Lead by Thomas) resulted in OUFC "luck".

Back
Top Bottom