Fan's View - Scunthorpe at home

"Simon Eastwood did not come for crosses and I’m of two minds as to whether he made a good save before they score or if he should have either held the initial shot or at least got it away from the danger zone."

Don't be in two minds, it was a goalkeeping error, end of story.

"Simon Eastwood did not come for crosses and I’m of two minds as to whether he made a good save before they score or if he should have either held the initial shot or at least got it away from the danger zone."

Don't be in two minds, it was a goalkeeping error, end of story.

At the time I wasn't sure. Some around me thought the save was a good one. Having watched Goal Rush I agree it was an error.

As always, Paul, a very good and insightful read. I get so much out of your reports than I do out of the official ones, so please keep on doing them!

I did just want to point out one thing, from the photo of the penalty. Around the edge of the penalty area you can see five of our players (including James Henry) and five of theirs. Of the nine people who didn't take the pen, three seem to be moving towards the goal, in the event that the ball was saved or came back off the post. NONE of them are in an Oxford shirt.

As always, Paul, a very good and insightful read. I get so much out of your reports than I do out of the official ones, so please keep on doing them!

I did just want to point out one thing, from the photo of the penalty. Around the edge of the penalty area you can see five of our players (including James Henry) and five of theirs. Of the nine people who didn't take the pen, three seem to be moving towards the goal, in the event that the ball was saved or came back off the post. NONE of them are in an Oxford shirt.

We seem to do that in our own box too. Always second to react.

I might have said I'd bundle the two games over Easter up together unless I was angry enough to let rip after Good Friday's game.
Don't believe what I say. Not angry (well, after the first half I was) but have produced a FV in very quick time for me.

Fan's View - Scunthorpe
Nailed it.
Agree that KR is noisily impressive. I will note that by the end if his MKD and Charlton tenures there were pronounced rumblings or grumblings that the walk doesn't quite match the talk, but he is a breath of fresh air and clarity after the hapless Clotet.
The summer is going to be tougher than I think you imply. The sheer number of players who need to be signed - after the mess caused by Eales and Clotet - means that it is almost certainly going to need another window before KR realistically will have a squad of players he can rely on (Though Paul Hart has proven this season that it can be done, at Shrewsbury).
In terms of the Fans Forum, I have seen plenty of reports of Eales sounding off again, and plenty of KR but very little of what our owner said (other than the earth-shattering news that we are changing kit supplier).
Usually at some point an owner of a club - indeed, of any business - gives some idea of what the ambition is, what the plan is to achieve that ambition, what the timescale is etc. I may well be mistaken, but in his two outings to date I have not seen reports of that kind of thing. Perhaps the summer is the time for that, though......

I might have said I'd bundle the two games over Easter up together unless I was angry enough to let rip after Good Friday's game.
Don't believe what I say. Not angry (well, after the first half I was) but have produced a FV in very quick time for me.

Fan's View - Scunthorpe
Nailed it.
Agree that KR is noisily impressive. I will note that by the end if his MKD and Charlton tenures there were pronounced rumblings or grumblings that the walk doesn't quite match the talk, but he is a breath of fresh air and clarity after the hapless Clotet.
The summer is going to be tougher than I think you imply. The sheer number of players who need to be signed - after the mess caused by Eales and Clotet - means that it is almost certainly going to need another window before KR realistically will have a squad of players he can rely on (Though Paul Hart has proven this season that it can be done, at Shrewsbury).
In terms of the Fans Forum, I have seen plenty of reports of Eales sounding off again, and plenty of KR but very little of what our owner said (other than the earth-shattering news that we are changing kit supplier).
Usually at some point an owner of a club - indeed, of any business - gives some idea of what the ambition is, what the plan is to achieve that ambition, what the timescale is etc. I may well be mistaken, but in his two outings to date I have not seen reports of that kind of thing. Perhaps the summer is the time for that, though......

Oh u missed the bit where he said he wants to build the academy and bring through our own players (something u praise il for). You missed the bit where he said the goal is reaching the championship, u have missed all the improvement to communication, marketing and merchandise. U missed securing the training ground to help attract better players. U missed him wanting to retain more of the best players from leaving the county, and wanting to bring in a young successful manager that both brings through youth and has won promotion to the champ, his two key aims.

Yeah where the plan ffs.

And u can’t help praise and find fault can U, that’s several times now u have said u like Robinson, but pointed people towards his failings, or how results have gone at Charlton since he left.

At the time I wasn't sure. Some around me thought the save was a good one. Having watched Goal Rush I agree it was an error.

Actually found myself saying to Mrs Lounger that I thought Easty is not the player he was.
The first half, as you rightly stated Paul was abysmal and so frustrating. Not as if Scunny mixed it up at all, fairly routine ball onto the wing, get a cross in and see who gets there. Toney's favourite pass seemed to be a flick out sideways to his winger whereupon he (Toney) would then sprint into the box for the return. I have heard KR mention that he wants more crosses and could be heard from the touchline shouting just that on more than one occasion, hopefully he will get this "team" working in time to keep us up.

Nailed it.

Most of that is fair to me but to correct you Charlie, Paul Hart is on the coaching staff at Luton. Paul HURST
is the manager of Shrewsbury Town.

Our centre back partnership (and defence) isn't the best at the moment, this has probably made Easty's reluctancy to dominate his area more apparent. He is a very good keeper no doubt, but the obvious area he could improve is coming off his line (and not just for corners), id also like to hear him being a bit more vocal in terms of shouting instruction to the back four, he has the best view of the play unfolding in from of him and that can certainly help to organise and shout information to his defence. Effective communication between the back five is critical and something sadly lacking within our defence at this current time.

Last edited:
Actually found myself saying to Mrs Lounger that I thought Easty is not the player he was.
The first half, as you rightly stated Paul was abysmal and so frustrating. Not as if Scunny mixed it up at all, fairly routine ball onto the wing, get a cross in and see who gets there. Toney's favourite pass seemed to be a flick out sideways to his winger whereupon he (Toney) would then sprint into the box for the return. I have heard KR mention that he wants more crosses and could be heard from the touchline shouting just that on more than one occasion, hopefully he will get this "team" working in time to keep us up.
I would be surprised if KR would nt be in for Josh Morris and their No.16 in the summer and maybe Toney.

I would be surprised if KR would nt be in for Josh Morris and their No.16 in the summer and maybe Toney.

I wouldn't mind Toney at OUFC. Bit of a shithouse but definitely in the right position for a lot of their chances. Could imagine he would be a bit frustrating on a bad day, though.

I found KR's passion in the second half when we were going for it really encouraging - also coming on the pitch at full time and getting the players in a huddle then applauding the fans was brilliant too. If that was Clotet he would have stayed out of the rain!

I'm confident for the future of our club.

Hakeeb Adelakun was their no.16, yes, impressive runs and crosses. If he can do that when he is being properly marked would be a good addition. I would like to have seen how Ricardinho would have dealt with him!
As for Toney, don't like him, however, no disputing he's got some skills and is quick into the box.

We have tried (twice) to sign Ivan Toney. Faz told us after match that MAPP wanted him last summer but his wages are sky high!
Eastwood must learn to come for more crosses.
Get ready for a nervous month folks!

Oh u missed the bit where he said he wants to build the academy and bring through our own players (something u praise il for). You missed the bit where he said the goal is reaching the championship, u have missed all the improvement to communication, marketing and merchandise. U missed securing the training ground to help attract better players. U missed him wanting to retain more of the best players from leaving the county, and wanting to bring in a young successful manager that both brings through youth and has won promotion to the champ, his two key aims.

Yeah where the plan ffs.

And u can’t help praise and find fault can U, that’s several times now u have said u like Robinson, but pointed people towards his failings, or how results have gone at Charlton since he left.

Dave, unlike some you are at heart a reasonable guy.
So help me out here.
1) you say he wants to build the academy. What does that mean? The Lenagans took a nearly defunct YTS and turned it into a Cat 3 academy that was within a hair's breadth of becoming Cat 2. If Tiger is going to turn us into Cat 2 then I shall be sincere in my praise. So please tell me that that is what he said, because I haven't seen it anywhere.
2) Training ground. OUFC has long rented training grounds. Unless I have missed something, the City Council have provided us with a new training ground to rent, to replace the old rented one we lost. I do not think that this is a major step forward. And, in any case, and as you know, something that has been in train for months.
3) retaining young players in the county. Splendid intention, but where is the detail? Reading, Villa and Southampton all encroach into our territory with Cat 1 academies and the prospect of top two tier football. Without significant long-term investment we cannot change the current metrics. Has he outlined where that investment will go or how success will be judged?
4) Championship football. We have seen ref Blackburn and Wigan this season (and Sheff U and Bolton last) where the bar is set to achieve that goal. It is a 5 million quid budget or else a lot of skill and luck. Our current manager had a 4 million plus budget and only managed 8th place at Charlton before he left. Has he promised to increase the budget dramatically?

Can you just go down the above annotating with concrete pledges. Otherwise, frankly, they carry about as much weight as my daughter's Father Christmas list. With concrete, financed action on the above fronts, I shall support fully.

On KR, I am broadly in favour but with sensible caveats. I do not need to hero worship the man to support him.

Yeah where the plan ffs.

So help me out here.
1) you say he wants to build the academy. What does that mean? The Lenagans took a nearly defunct YTS and turned it into a Cat 3 academy that was within a hair's breadth of becoming Cat 2. If Tiger is going to turn us into Cat 2 then I shall be sincere in my praise. So please tell me that that is what he said, because I haven't seen it anywhere.
2) Training ground. OUFC has long rented training grounds. Unless I have missed something, the City Council have provided us with a new training ground to rent, to replace the old rented one we lost. I do not think that this is a major step forward. And, in any case, and as you know, something that has been in train for months.
3) retaining young players in the county. Splendid intention, but where is the detail? Reading, Villa and Southampton all encroach into our territory with Cat 1 academies and the prospect of top two tier football. Without significant long-term investment we cannot change the current metrics. Has he outlined where that investment will go or how success will be judged?
4) Championship football. We have seen ref Blackburn and Wigan this season (and Sheff U and Bolton last) where the bar is set to achieve that goal. It is a 5 million quid budget or else a lot of skill and luck. Our current manager had a 4 million plus budget and only managed 8th place at Charlton before he left. Has he promised to increase the budget dramatically?

Can you just go down the above annotating with concrete pledges. Otherwise, frankly, they carry about as much weight as my daughter's Father Christmas list. With concrete, financed action on the above fronts, I shall support fully.

On KR, I am broadly in favour but with sensible caveats. I do not need to hero worship the man to support him.

Not got anything concrete on any of the points, purely going on what he says. Which is no different to judging him on things you’ve heard.

We have the 4th largest budget this season? Maybe u have ur figures wrong on that as well.

This is my take on what I’ve heard and how I interpret it.

1/ did the lenagans announce their intention at the out set to turn it into a cat 2 academy or did they just set to work improving it (concrete evidence of they did please)

A very decent academy head that clearly knows his stuff has been appointed to over see the project.

He has set out his plans (you would know if u turned up to the Oxvox meeting) and in a matter of weeks has started work on that by appointing new coaches and scouts, setting up links with local clubs and offering anyone who thinks they have a talented youngest the chance to come and try out.

2/ training ground, yes it is “just another rented facility, but it’s much bigger and designed for purpose rather than just a field, it has several pitches including gk ones. Proper office and gym facilities on site, means the academy players can train along side first team and benefit. And is considered by everyone it seems bar you as a good thing. We are also taking over the maintenance of the pitches so they are kept to a much better standard. Was it agreed already probably, u can thank Darryl for that, but tiger still had to give it the ok and sign it off.

3/ dan explained with the new training facilities and the work they are doing with the lads away from football they hope to be able to attract more of these kids to their local club by not being the meat market that the larger academies are. We’ve already benefited by taking very good players that just ain’t getting the opportunity at clubs like Everton once passing out. If we can give players clear indication that we are a club that has a clear route through to first team football then we stand a very good chance of attracting and keeping players.

4/ kr is not a silly man, he’s just left a club that broke promises on that budget u mention by not supporting him in jan, would he jump into another club in a worse situation? Would his good friend dave jones not have warned him off if were such a basket case with a small budget? Would tiger fund transfers for branagan and dickie before he even owned the club, and be talking about keeping all our star players instead of making a bit of money selling them, if he didn’t have the money or budget to keep them?

5/ on kr it’s nice u support him like ur giving tiger the benefit of the doubt and judging him on what he does [emoji848]. U might wanna lay off pointing people to how well Charlton have done since he left, and what fans at mk used to say about him if u want us to believe what ur saying though.

Everyone else, sorry for the charlie sized responce, but he did ask.

So help me out here.

There is only one man you will hero worship and his name begins with S ?

2/ training ground, yes it is “just another rented facility, but it’s much bigger and designed for purpose rather than just a field, it has several pitches including gk ones. Proper office and gym facilities on site, means the academy players can train along side first team and benefit. And is considered by everyone it seems bar you as a good thing. We are also taking over the maintenance of the pitches so they are kept to a much better standard. Was it agreed already probably, u can thank Darryl for that, but tiger still had to give it the ok and sign it off.

If I understand it correctly, these new facilities mean we can move to a Cat 2 Academy (only on facilities, not sure on other criteria) as it will be have a 4g pitch etc*.

*Exeter uprated, or are in the process of uprating, their Academy status after investing cup run/player sales profits in the training facilities including a 4g pitch.

So help me out here.

That's the key is it - "so help me out here". Perhaps if I had used that when I came back with serious questions on the Wimbledon Fan's View thread I might / would have got answers? instead - nothing.

We have tried (twice) to sign Ivan Toney. Faz told us after match that MAPP wanted him last summer but his wages are sky high!
Eastwood must learn to come for more crosses.
Get ready for a nervous month folks!

One wonders how on earth Scunthorpe , on gates of 4,000 , can afford to pay on loan Toney’s wages.

Back
Top Bottom