Fan's View - Rochdale away

I would say the recruitment has been the opposite. 2 rights backs signed both no longer playing for us. 1 left back signed can't get into the team. Holmes, Carruthers, Shearer signed barely played. Hanson sign for big money also can't get in the team. Mackie, and Smith signed no real goal return (Smith now left the club). That's a heck of a failure rate.

Then add to that the timing of the recruitment all last minute (cost us massively in the first few games). The fitness of those that joined us again time wasted getting people fit.

Then consider the squad balance. Defense has no cover (at times we have been playing midfielders there). The strike force is woefully thin on quality and goals.

We have had a couple of disastrous windows in terms of recruitment and this term we have relied heavily on those players already at the club to form the back line and parts of midfield (bar loans they remain our best owned players). Without these players we would be even worse than we are.

In summary no I don't think we have done well in recruitment on the whole and when you add in the coaching and tactics that is why a top 8 budget club is fighting a relegation battle all season.
Yes to this. We had a disastrous start because the team wasn’t fit and hadn’t gelled. Since Luton we havent been brilliant but we've been good enough to stay up comfortably

This 'fine margins' stuff is B*****s. It just means 'we don't do things as well as we should'!
What I meant was - you can't use 'fine margins' as some sort of reason (or excuse) for underperforming. Just saying 'Well we lost, but it was only fine margins that made the difference' - is exactly the same as saying 'Well we lost, but only because the other team did the important things better'! It is an admission of failure.
I think that was what I was trying to say. But we did hit the woodwork twice at Rochdale. An inch or so could have made the difference. But it didn't. That's the point (instead of three).

What I meant was - you can't use 'fine margins' as some sort of reason (or excuse) for underperforming. Just saying 'Well we lost, but it was only fine margins that made the difference' - is exactly the same as saying 'Well we lost, but only because the other team did the important things better'! It is an admission of failure.

And what’s wrong with admitting failure? If we fail, we go down! Simple.

And what’s wrong with admitting failure? If we fail, we go down! Simple.
There is nothing wrong with admitting failure - it is one way to making sure you improve in the future. But when the manager goes on about 'fine margins', he isn't admitting failure. He is implying that if only we had the rub of the green, the decisions from the ref or the wind blowing in our favour then the result of the matches would have been different. And if that is the case he doesn't need to change anything as there is little wrong with the underlying tactics, formation, skills or attitude of both the players and himself , so - as we have seen all season - we get the same performance rehashed over and over again. Occasionally it succeeds, most of the time it hasn't.
I don't think Robinson admits to failure - even in the light of the league position in relation to his supposed/presumed budget - and that is where a large proportion of our troubles lie.

There is nothing wrong with admitting failure - it is one way to making sure you improve in the future. But when the manager goes on about 'fine margins', he isn't admitting failure. He is implying that if only we had the rub of the green, the decisions from the ref or the wind blowing in our favour then the result of the matches would have been different. And if that is the case he doesn't need to change anything as there is little wrong with the underlying tactics, formation, skills or attitude of both the players and himself , so - as we have seen all season - we get the same performance rehashed over and over again. Occasionally it succeeds, most of the time it hasn't.
I don't think Robinson admits to failure - even in the light of the league position in relation to his supposed/presumed budget - and that is where a large proportion of our troubles lie.

Tbh not picked up on Robinson using the “fine margins”? Thought you were talking about mine or someone’s else’s post/posts?

Back
Top Bottom