Fan's View - Peterborough

Thanks for your Fan’s View,fair as always,but keep away from sharp objects ?

‘I’m utterly sick of being fed bullsh*t’

This. Succinctly, accurately cutting right to the heart of everything wrong.

Not just now, but going back to the dying days of the Eales regime and the ‘three fee paying players in January, honest wink wink’ facade.

As a fanbase we’ve been getting fed rubbish for a prolonged period of time now, and it’s approaching critical mass.

Can’t wait for the ‘NEXT season we’re really going for it, you won’t believe how good the players we are going to sign...so we’ve put up season ticket prices, buy buy buy’ cycle of tripe to commence soon too...

‘I’m utterly sick of being fed bullsh*t’

This. Succinctly, accurately cutting right to the heart of everything wrong.

Not just now, but going back to the dying days of the Eales regime and the ‘three fee paying players in January, honest wink wink’ facade.

As a fanbase we’ve been getting fed rubbish for a prolonged period of time now, and it’s approaching critical mass.

Can’t wait for the ‘NEXT season we’re really going for it, you won’t believe how good the players we are going to sign...so we’ve put up season ticket prices, buy buy buy’ cycle of tripe to commence soon too...

But I'll buy a season ticket whatever the circumstances are .... won't I?

Another good read. One does get the feeling that some sort of crunch time is rapidly approaching. Either we start to see why exactly are new owners are here or the supporters could really start to turn against them. We seem to have gone passed a period of no information to one of shallow platitudes, empty promises and, as you succinctly put it, bullshit. It’s hard to feel which is the more insulting to the supporters.

Very good read thanks, sums up how most of us are feeling I think.

Thank you for another fine summary, Paul. You are right to point out the risk of a "lost generation". There's a lot of competition for the attention of young people these days, and the sense of drift around OUFC on and off the pitch is hardly inspiring for potential new fans.

Hello Jerome - I wasn't at the game today - in fact, I only get to a few each season so my understanding of the situation comes mostly from yourself and Radio Ox. So I wanted to try my view with the acknowledged expert, Paul B, please.
It seems to me that Robinson knew that last summers recruitment had not gone as well as he expected. That he decided to gamble by setting what he had up to play fine football and convincing them that they were world beaters. When this didn't come off, he faced the dilemma - how to turn over-confident , arrogant but fragile players into something more pragmatic and hard headed. Somehow, you have to reduce their over-confidence without reducing their confidence. I don't think he has pulled this trick off.
Do you recognise this reading of it at all or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Spot on as usual Paul. Absolutely disgusting that directors were absent on Saturday & shows the way us fans are viewed by them. There is a really toxic situation (still) at the Club with lies being fed to us at every level. Repossession of the grass cutting equipment at the practice ground, various other trades that worked on that facility still owed money - WTF? There is also something very untrue about the tale that we have "settled" monies owed to FK - no we haven't because surely staff would not still be being locked out of the ground?
The bu*t HAS to stop now & , irrespective of results on the pitch, it is time for a public display of our unrest.

Hello Jerome - I wasn't at the game today - in fact, I only get to a few each season so my understanding of the situation comes mostly from yourself and Radio Ox. So I wanted to try my view with the acknowledged expert, Paul B, please.
It seems to me that Robinson knew that last summers recruitment had not gone as well as he expected. That he decided to gamble by setting what he had up to play fine football and convincing them that they were world beaters. When this didn't come off, he faced the dilemma - how to turn over-confident , arrogant but fragile players into something more pragmatic and hard headed. Somehow, you have to reduce their over-confidence without reducing their confidence. I don't think he has pulled this trick off.
Do you recognise this reading of it at all or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Don't know about acknowledged expert but I'll give it a go. After some contemplation I’ve got a somewhat different view. Confidence is a good thing. Over confidence is a bad thing. But I don’t recall seeing any of the latter. Recruitment did go wrong – massively so with Sam Smith. But I think KR had largely planned to build the team attacking wise around the recreation of Samir Carruthers / Robbie Hall partnership he had at MK Dons. Hall of course already being here. He featured in the first two games and hasn’t been seen since. His injury record was known when he was brought to the club back in 2016. Was KR unlucky with the Carruthers injury too? A risk too far? That left him to produce a new plan, one without a striker that could strike.
I don’t think the players are fragile. Jamie Mackie, Curtis Nelson, Cameron Brannagan certainly aren’t. If we were fragile we would have been getting turned over by two, three, four goals on a more regular basis. We did of course look fragile after those early games against Barnsley, Fleetwood and Pompey. Since then only Plymouth have humiliated us.
Comebacks such as against Sunderland and away at Fleetwood show that we do have the ability to dig deep. There is of course the counter argument where we have let leads slip, particularly the 3 goals at Scunthorpe. Perversely though I take quite a lot of heart from that game. Having let in three in a mad six minutes it would have been quite easy to have collapsed completely and conceded another two or three. We got it back together which spoke volumes to me.
This doesn’t mean I’d place a bet on us staying up. But I don’t think we’ll go down with a whimper.

Back
Top Bottom