Fan's View - Oldham

Pretty much how I saw the game Paul. Regarding Obika there were a few times when Ledson played a ball down the side of the defence and It ended up with e goalkeeper or a defender. From my lower level position i wasn’t sure whether the ball had been over hit or if Obika just hadn’t read it or moved quickly enough. I suspect the latter. Despite our defensive frailties I believe the lack of any penetration in the final third, a lack of players getting into the box or the ability to create with incisive passing is more of a worry. To win we need to score.

Great write up as ever but you didnt mention the extraordinary intensity of the play. It was like a cup tie and we did well to compete strongly with tackles and blocks constantly flying in.

Great write up as ever but you didnt mention the extraordinary intensity of the play. It was like a cup tie and we did well to compete strongly with tackles and blocks constantly flying in.
Fair point.

Fully agree with your comments about the team not supporting the strikers or arriving for any break away attack. Time after time it was clear that players were not able or willing to get forward in support.
The chance for Henry should have led to a penalty, it is clear to see the shirt pulling and ankle tap on Obika that led to him sprawling on the ground and Henry's cross pass going past the post in the highlights.

What is also clear is the frustration felt by KR in the players not doing the basics right. (and his anger with the officials)

Good read again.

I will say, imo Oldham's 1st penalty claim was never a penalty as their player threw himself down. The 2nd one as far as seeing it from the East Stand it looked a far better shout but then again so did Obika's from there.

Fair point.
If we work that hard for the rest if the season we’ll be fine. We arent very good but at least we can compete in the basics and hope one of our better players magics a goal. On that note, why on earth has Ricardinho not played more? He was great and inspiring to watch.

Good write up as usual Paul and agree with most of that.

Like you I am looking at the teams around us, but I keep coming back to the fact that 4 points (and our GD) will almost certainly be enough and 3 points could well be enough.

So a win and a draw out of Fleetwood, Southend and Rochdale at home. With OK home form recently this is possible but the sooner the better.

If we work that hard for the rest if the season we’ll be fine. We arent very good but at least we can compete in the basics and hope one of our better players magics a goal. On that note, why on earth has Ricardinho not played more? He was great and inspiring to watch.
I also wonder why DF dropped Richarinho and played Smith- Brown instead. When Pep left we brought in Kane (who has been decent) and the two Man City players who have been poor. DF seemed to want to play the Man City players, but in my view KR has been right to leave them out and Richadinho seems a way better than Smith-Brown?

Last edited:
Was it Atkins who 'subbed a Sub ' awsy at Boston about 15 years ago? Think Jefferson was involved either as the 2nd, or original sub.

Was it Atkins who 'subbed a Sub ' awsy at Boston about 15 years ago? Think Jefferson was involved either as the 2nd, or original sub.
If he did I can't remember although was almost certainly there. But after such a short time on the pitch?
I do remember Jim Smith doing it to Chicken George during the pre-season tour of Ireland. (Sligo & Shamrock).

Obika is very frustrating, I remember Leggo saying the runner has to trust and the passer has to trust the runner will run to the space, Obika does not see let alone make the runs and to be fair to Thomas there have been many times he has made runs but they are not seen or anticipated. The two man city lads have been very poor and I have assumed it's in the loan agreements that they play so many games, if not if not it's astounding that Brown has got in ahead of Ricky or as we saw before his withdrawal Josh.

Pretty sure it was at Bristol Rovers. He put Jefferson on and then took him off again about 15 mins later.

If it means us setting up more defensively, with a game plan to battle away and not to lose four games to keep us up, id take that all day long. I agree its painful to watch but last saturday was a not a must win game, it was a must NOT lose game and we did what was needed. If someone offered me another point tomorrow night, id take it.

Interesting read. Funny thing perspective. You see I was the opposite to the OP. I was buzzing for Saturday (I can’t wait for tonight either). Couldn’t wait to get up there.
I thought we were controlling the game without really threatening. I think both teams had good shouts for (you’ve seen them given) pens. The main difference being if the ref gives ours they’re down to 10 and that changes the game. Especially as it was so early on.
I also think they should’ve been down to 9 with that ninja tackle from they’re left back.
How he stays on the pitch I don’t know.

I won’t analyse the whole game because much of it has already been done.

Two things struck me. People moaned at Obika for not getting on the end of several good looking passes from midfield. I was just happy to see us actually try to play that ball! All too often this season the pass is on and we opt not to play it.
You’d have to say Obika was probably as surprised to see the ball played as us!

Robinson said he wanted our midfield to get in the box more. I thought we did the opposite. When we did get the ball forward we were badly outnumbered in their box.

Interesting read. Funny thing perspective. You see I was the opposite to the OP. I was buzzing for Saturday (I can’t wait for tonight either). Couldn’t wait to get up there.
I thought we were controlling the game without really threatening. I think both teams had good shouts for (you’ve seen them given) pens. The main difference being if the ref gives ours they’re down to 10 and that changes the game. Especially as it was so early on.
I also think they should’ve been down to 9 with that ninja tackle from they’re left back.
How he stays on the pitch I don’t know.

I won’t analyse the whole game because much of it has already been done.

Two things struck me. People moaned at Obika for not getting on the end of several good looking passes from midfield. I was just happy to see us actually try to play that ball! All too often this season the pass is on and we opt not to play it.
You’d have to say Obika was probably as surprised to see the ball played as us!

Robinson said he wanted our midfield to get in the box more. I thought we did the opposite. When we did get the ball forward we were badly outnumbered in their box.

Perhaps the season hasn't worn you down as much as it has me, Shaun. Watching every game, bar the Checkatrade shite, takes its toll. It's also the pre-match experience at our place compared to that at most venues on our travels that gets me down too.
But I'd be fibbing if I said I wasn't looking forward to tonight's game, just a little bit.
On Obika, shouldn't he be making runs and demanding the ball?

Pretty much how I saw the game Paul. Regarding Obika there were a few times when Ledson played a ball down the side of the defence and It ended up with e goalkeeper or a defender. From my lower level position i wasn’t sure whether the ball had been over hit or if Obika just hadn’t read it or moved quickly enough. I suspect the latter. Despite our defensive frailties I believe the lack of any penetration in the final third, a lack of players getting into the box or the ability to create with incisive passing is more of a worry. To win we need to score.
It had been over hit. As much as I love Leggo, he has a big problem with his distribution.

Back
Top Bottom