Fan's View - Gillingham

As always a good read Paul however, I would take issue with you regarding Brannagan. I thought he showed some good touches and underscored why playing Moushino in front of the back 4 works. Brannagan scampered around the midfield putting pressure on the opposition and winning the ball a number times before making the odd run forward. Unfortunately, as is often the case of late, our players hang on far too long before passing or shooting. Given the right support and movement off the ball we should see a few more goals come out of this set up.
Rob Dickie is slowly winning me over. Taking care of Eaves was a real task and he must have learnt a lot about how to get away with the "dark arts"! Previously I thought he looked clumsy, yesterday he gave a very good "Who me?" appearance and got the ref on his side! Apparently Eaves was deemed too expensive for us pre-season.
The ref? Just another lower league official who will never see Premiership action. On the subject of the ref, should he have cautioned the keeper for the penalty incident?

"...when are our minds going to be put at rest regards the winding up petition?". Indeed.

"...when are our minds going to be put at rest regards the winding up petition?". Indeed.
Its clearly a "if we dont say anything for long enough itll go away" thing. Like the stadium move. Like the "wow" signings.

As always a good read Paul however, I would take issue with you regarding Brannagan. I thought he showed some good touches and underscored why playing Moushino in front of the back 4 works. Brannagan scampered around the midfield putting pressure on the opposition and winning the ball a number times before making the odd run forward. Unfortunately, as is often the case of late, our players hang on far too long before passing or shooting. Given the right support and movement off the ball we should see a few more goals come out of this set up.
Rob Dickie is slowly winning me over. Taking care of Eaves was a real task and he must have learnt a lot about how to get away with the "dark arts"! Previously I thought he looked clumsy, yesterday he gave a very good "Who me?" appearance and got the ref on his side! Apparently Eaves was deemed too expensive for us pre-season.
The ref? Just another lower league official who will never see Premiership action. On the subject of the ref, should he have cautioned the keeper for the penalty incident?
Yup: agree on the Brannagan thoughts, Lounger. Otherwise spot-on, Paul.

I understand that McMahon did not want to be substituted last week.

Excellent comments. I take what you are saying about Brannagan. It's just that I think he could be something quite special and when he has (just) a pretty decent game I probably overlook it.

Pretty much agree with that summary Paul, particularly your comments on Bradbury. If anything Hanson had more of an impact. Much has been made elsewhere of Holmes departure and whether or not he was annoyed. If he was, I suspect it was more frustration at the limitations his injury is putting on his game time and also the fact that it must restrict his ability on the pitch. Whatever it was he didn’t have the best of games and possibly won’t make Tuesday.

Great report as usual, Paul. I think I am moving into the "cautiously optimistic" camp, as you call it.
For me I am interested to see what Robbo can do in the January transfer window. We need two good solid, quality additions that will be long term strengthening of the squad. In MApp's first Jan transfer window he signed MacDonald, Baldock & Roofe. Can Robbo identify and sign these type of players?

Excellent as usual Paul.
And I have to agree with most of what you say.
I do think that Branaghan was one of our better players. Agree that Dickie was immense.
Bradford and Rochdale are huge games. Win those and we could be a way from the bottom 4.

I thought KR gave his best (or least embarrassing in any case) post match interview. Praised all and sundry and was spot on in his assessment of Bradbury Jr. - clearly still very raw but the fact that he got stuck in to both central defenders and when there was a bit of a melee, was straight in amongst it, is promising in my book. Also what KR said about 'untidy' players struck a chord with me.....Beano couldn't trap a bag of cement and Danny Hylton was all elbows and shins....two strikers in our most recent past that have gained 'hero' status. If Bradbury can get anywhere near them, then he will do for me.

I thought KR gave his best (or least embarrassing in any case) post match interview. Praised all and sundry and was spot on in his assessment of Bradbury Jr. - clearly still very raw but the fact that he got stuck in to both central defenders and when there was a bit of a melee, was straight in amongst it, is promising in my book. Also what KR said about 'untidy' players struck a chord with me.....Beano couldn't trap a bag of cement and Danny Hylton was all elbows and shins....two strikers in our most recent past that have gained 'hero' status. If Bradbury can get anywhere near them, then he will do for me.

They also scored goals, which was nice.

They also scored goals, which was nice.
I'm sure Bradbury will too after a few more minutes than 30.

I agree with most of your view of the game, except your view that Bradbury wasn't mobile or quick...I thought he was both of those and most definitely mobile.

Pretty much agree with that summary Paul, particularly your comments on Bradbury. If anything Hanson had more of an impact. Much has been made elsewhere of Holmes departure and whether or not he was annoyed. If he was, I suspect it was more frustration at the limitations his injury is putting on his game time and also the fact that it must restrict his ability on the pitch. Whatever it was he didn’t have the best of games and possibly won’t make Tuesday.

His anger was about coming off not his injury issue.

His anger was about coming off not his injury issue.

You really do want to push this theory don’t you. For what reason?

I noticed it and thought it was to receive treatment. Even if Holmes was annoyed it was the right thing to do by Robinson.

I'm sure Bradbury will too after a few more minutes than 30.

I agree with most of your view of the game, except your view that Bradbury wasn't mobile or quick...I thought he was both of those and most definitely mobile.
I agree with Paul.
I don't think that Bradbury was particularly mobile or quick. He was aggressive and positive however.

You really do want to push this theory don’t you. For what reason?

I noticed it and thought it was to receive treatment. Even if Holmes was annoyed it was the right thing to do by Robinson.

Holmes is one of so few in our squad who is capable of taking players on and scoring goals/setting up others. He looked no different to me yesterday than he normally does e.g. battling through an injury which Holmes is fully aware of. So I think he was determined to play on, and I personally felt if he felt he was okay to carry on then he should have been allowed to for the reasons I given above.

In addition to the above, others have said that he was taken off because he was injured (no s**t Sherlock, we all know he’s playing through an injury), and alluded as this was the reason that he was pissed off. So what I’m saying and how I read the situation is, he was pissed off with Robinson for taking him off when he clearly wanted to continue. He was about to remonstrate with Robinson, but for his and the who situations best interest decided against it. Call it professionalism!

So to summerise, I thought Robinson took him off too early, and it wasn’t for him to receive treatment, especially as he probably receives this after every game anyway.

It’s all irrespective now as we managed to get the right result, but if we hadn’t I could see that many supporters calling Rad Ox etc making comments along the lines of ‘why did we take off one of our potential game changers’ etc..

So my initial responses to others comments on this subject was to challenge the reason as to why Holmes appeared pissed off which others suggested that this was because Holmes was frustrated by his injury, whereas, I believe he was pissed off with Robinson for taking him off so early into the second half when the game could still have gone either way.

Question, do I think that Holmes should have substituted at that stage of the game? My answer is, NO, not at that stage of the game, especially if an influential player such as Holmes who knows his own abilities, what his capabilities are, the game in general and he knew this game was on a knife edge which he probably felt he could have had an impact on, if he’d stayed on, hence his frustration. He’s a senior pro which I would have thought that Robinson would have respected.

I thought Holmes was holding his back quite early on. Perhaps that is no different to normal though. I'll admit to thinking it was slightly early to make the change.
Will KR pick him for the FGR replay? Could that have been the reason for taking him off when he did.

Back
Top Bottom