Fan's View - Forest Green

Thoughtful and interesting article as ever, Paul, particularly in regard to the injury situation analysis. This was the opportunity to build on the last few games and put a League 2 team to the sword but in the end we were fortunate to get a draw. Was it a blip? Guess we may know more after the Gillingham game (share your concerns) but missing Whyte and Mackie (and Holmes, Ruffels?) is not going to make it any easier.

Thoughtful and interesting article as ever, Paul, particularly in regard to the injury situation analysis. This was the opportunity to build on the last few games and put a League 2 team to the sword but in the end we were fortunate to get a draw. Was it a blip? Guess we may know more after the Gillingham game (share your concerns) but missing Whyte and Mackie (and Holmes, Ruffels?) is not going to make it any easier.

I'd like to think it is a blip but I'm not convinced. Take out a key player or two and we really do look in trouble.
League position is one thing but direction of travel is important. The unbeaten league run suggested that we are / were moving forward, albeit not at a massive pace. This was a worrying backward step. Luckily though no league points dropped and we are still in the Cup. If we don't up our game we won't be for long though.

Thanks Paul. A case of normal service restored? Post match interview with Robinson back to blaming everything and more incoherent and meaningless drivel. (and I apologise to all our friends of the Scouse orientation but, I just can't get on with his accent!)

The team for Gillingham will be a test of the back room boys and girls in getting enough players fit to play. And, I don't hold that as a valid excuse for Robinson, he brought in these crocks well aware of their limitations. And, from what I hear via a family member of Ruffels, he doesn't have much time for any player he didn't bring in.

Last edited:
Good read as usual. Sums up the lack of hope and general gloom about the place right now.

Good read as usual. Sums up the lack of hope and general gloom about the place right now.
You’re right. Even the long anticipated arrival of Erick Thohir felt a bit like a damp squib when it was finally announced and failed to get the juices flowing. Is he just going to offer advice or is he going to invest? And still no real explanation regarding the unpaid tax bill. Everything still has the feeling that it needs to get going somehow..

I might be the only one here who was expecting yesterday to be a dull affair?

I know its the FA Cup but lets be honest, the early rounds are usually very crap. The total attendance sums up the feeling towards yesterdays match and who we were playing. If the fans struggle to go and watch us in the FA cup at home then I can bet my last £ that the players will struggle to get up for a game in a soulless, 1/4 full stadium against a village team.

I don't see yesterdays game as a set back, a sign of a bad run coming or anything else untoward. It was 2 teams playing a game football that more than likely neither particularly wanted to play when the draw was made.

Well they didn't seem to have much difficulty in getting up for game in a 1/10 full stadium against a village team in a meaningless competition on Tuesday!

Sometimes teams just play badly. Next weekend's game will show us whether yesterday was 'a bad day at the office' or a return to the performances of the early season.

I know its the FA Cup but lets be honest, the early rounds are usually very crap. The total attendance sums up the feeling towards yesterdays match and who we were playing. If the fans struggle to go and watch us in the FA cup at home then I can bet my last £ that the players will struggle to get up for a game in a soulless, 1/4 full stadium against a village team.

I don't see yesterdays game as a set back, a sign of a bad run coming or anything else untoward. It was 2 teams playing a game football that more than likely neither particularly wanted to play when the draw was made.

If that's the case then it is pretty worrying because this is their day jobs. Players like Smith should have been busting a gut to show that this is a job he has a future in. But I kind of get your point.

I'd like to think it is a blip but I'm not convinced. Take out a key player or two and we really do look in trouble.
League position is one thing but direction of travel is important. The unbeaten league run suggested that we are / were moving forward, albeit not at a massive pace. This was a worrying backward step. Luckily though no league points dropped and we are still in the Cup. If we don't up our game we won't be for long though.
I worry that you may be right and your analysis of the injury situation in respect to so many of those key players does not offer reassurance.

Agree with everything you wrote especially the comments over the w****r in the black on Saturday, I just hope he isn’t selected as our ref for the replay or for the matter of fact ref for us ever again.

Agree with everything you wrote especially the comments over the w****r in the black on Saturday, I just hope he isn’t selected as our ref for the replay or for the matter of fact ref for us ever again.

He didn't even play 45 minutes in the first half let alone add any time. I forgot to mention that.
I think in the past it used to be the same referee but I hope that's not the case now.

He didn't even play 45 minutes in the first half let alone add any time. I forgot to mention that.
I think in the past it used to be the same referee but I hope that's not the case now.
So do i you forgot also the blatant body check on Gavin Whyte

The quality of play and commitment was so far from what we saw on Tuesday, that a backward step was what it was. This, along with kr reverting back to type, blaming the ref, injuries et al. He keeps going on about clean sheets, but until we start winning games, and climb out of the relegation zone, clean sheets don't count for a lot.
We were superb on Tuesday, yesterday was a massive worry.

The quality of play and commitment was so far from what we saw on Tuesday, that a backward step was what it was. This, along with kr reverting back to type, blaming the ref, injuries et al. He keeps going on about clean sheets, but until we start winning games, and climb out of the relegation zone, clean sheets don't count for a lot.
We were superb on Tuesday, yesterday was a massive worry.

If you keep a clean sheet then you don't lose the game. KR was correct when he said it is an amazing achievement to have got 6 clean sheets out of the last 8 games.
Also we are 7th in the league 1 form table. That again shows we have turned a corner.

I suppose how a supporter feels about yesterday's game depends on whether you are a glass half empty sort or glass half full. I am the latter so see it as a positive that we got another clean sheet, keep the unbeaten run going and we are in the hat for round 2. I also think it's a positive that performance was in the cup and not in the league.

Thank you Paul.
A very very poor performance.
I am.not quite as concerned as you although I do agree that against Gillingham things don't look great with Mackie and Whyte out.
There were real positives against Wycombe and the young players coming through is a positive.
Smith looks to be a player who is on loan at this level at least a year too early.
Keeping clean sheets is a big positive- long may they continue.
Goodness though we need a striker or two in the next transfer window.
Yes and the referee was poor (although watching games with Southampton in the PL and Man City in the CL I am not surprised!)

If you keep a clean sheet then you don't lose the game. KR was correct when he said it is an amazing achievement to have got 6 clean sheets out of the last 8 games.
Also we are 7th in the league 1 form table. That again shows we have turned a corner.

I suppose how a supporter feels about yesterday's game depends on whether you are a glass half empty sort or glass half full. I am the latter so see it as a positive that we got another clean sheet, keep the unbeaten run going and we are in the hat for round 2. I also think it's a positive that performance was in the cup and not in the league.

That’s all very well but unless we’re scoring we’re not winning and winning is what we have to start doing. If we win 2-1, 3 -1 or whatever it’s 3 points but if it’s 0-0 then it’s 1 and I know which I would prefer.

Normally I would agree with that but here we were very very lucky to have got away with a clean sheet. The FGR miss in the 2nd half was the worst I've seen all season & an inch or so to the right and they would have scored in the last minute instead of hitting the post.

7th in the form table shows how we have shored up at the back. Unfortunately, the only table that matters is the league table. With so many games gone, it's a pretty long corner to go around. We have to get a couple of wins over the next three games, to start pulling out of the relegation zone. After Tuesdays fantastic performance I was a half full guy, after yesterday not so sure.

It was the nature of the performance, starting with a changed system again, albeit for 10 mins, and the return to excuses in kr's interview.

Back
Top Bottom