Fan's View - Doncaster at home

Great review Paul but the best bit about about it was the tribute to Womble. It is said that at times like this football is meaningless but when it comes to Womble, football was everything.

A face I remember from many away day over the years. Rip Womble and thanks Paul.

OUFCX

Excellant as usual Paul .
You picked the right game to go to that wedding!

Thank you Paul. We had an exiled Donny fan sat with us for the first half, he managed to join his son and grandson for the second. We got chatting, as folk do, and he told us that Donny like to play football, good, I replied, so do we. Mrs Lounger added that we always play better against footballing sides, a very true point. And so it was, a real entertainment game and the right, for us, result. Our exile friend explained that he now lives in Wallingford and watches Didcot Town for his football. With the demise of the power station they have lost one of their sponsors and may struggle. We chatted about our respective grounds, he too missed the old ground of Doncaster citing the atmosphere as a key part. He very quickly understood our issues with a "3 sided wind tunnel" This is what we enjoy about attending games, the chats with other supporters, no antagonistic nonsense, just fellow supporters exchanging opinions and pleasantries.

Also, well said about Womble, he will be missed. RIP

Thank you Paul. We had an exiled Donny fan sat with us for the first half, he managed to join his son and grandson for the second. We got chatting, as folk do, and he told us that Donny like to play football, good, I replied, so do we. Mrs Lounger added that we always play better against footballing sides, a very true point. And so it was, a real entertainment game and the right, for us, result. Our exile friend explained that he now lives in Wallingford and watches Didcot Town for his football. With the demise of the power station they have lost one of their sponsors and may struggle. We chatted about our respective grounds, he too missed the old ground of Doncaster citing the atmosphere as a key part. He very quickly understood our issues with a "3 sided wind tunnel" This is what we enjoy about attending games, the chats with other supporters, no antagonistic nonsense, just fellow supporters exchanging opinions and pleasantries.

Also, well said about Womble, he will be missed. RIP

That is so very true. One of the joys of attending football.

Most times at away games, I seem to fall into conversation with one of the home supporters when walking from the car/train to the ground. Over god knows how many years I have never had any negative experiences doing this. Of course, you pick who you talk to - my general rule is that if their knuckles are lower than their knees - avoid :)

I think every OUFC fan from the 70s-80s knew Womble.
His football knowledge was massive and of course his love for Oxford was as well.

RIP Womble

Paul, you refer to their home gates being 2,000 more than ours. Their home games so far have been Lincoln, Peterborough, Rotherham, Portsmouth & Blackpool. Rotherham is a local derby, Lincoln probably took 3,000, it is a convenient, close away game for Peterborough fans and Portsmouth is Portsmouth. I think through the whole season we will have similar average.
On their (new) ground, a good friend of mine is a Donny fan, he can't stand their current ground, it is dull, no atmosphere, monostand (?!) much preferred the old Belle Vue ramshackle ground with terracing and one traditional stand of seats, it generated a much better atmosphere, he says!

Last edited:
Paul, you refer to their home gates being 2,000 more than ours. Their home games so far have been Lincoln, Peterborough, Rotherham, Portsmouth & Blackpool. Rotherham is a local derby, Lincoln probably took 3,000, it is a convenient, close away game for Peterborough fans and Portsmouth is Portsmouth. I think through the whole season we will have similar average.
On their (new) ground, a good friend of mine is a Donny fan, he can't stand their current ground, it is dull, no atmosphere, monostand (?!) much preferred the old Belle Vue ramshackle ground with terracing and one seated stand it generated a much better atmosphere, he says!
The fella who sat in that seat must have been very animated. Did he have a drum..? ?

We have so many of our players performing at such an impressive level right now but the guy that deserves massive praise is Gorrin imo.
If you’re bored and a bit of a geek watch the replay of the game on ifollow and see the # of clean tackles and interceptions this guy makes, it’s fascinating to watch.
His anticipation and reading of the game is exceptional.

Back
Top Bottom