Fan's View - Charlton away

I know somebody who went who had to move as some Oxford fans spent the whole game slagging off the players. I find it all a little odd and it sure isn't fun sitting/ standing anybody like that.

It's amazing, some of the closer away games you get knob jockeys like them, why bother going if you don't like your own f*****g players? I understand a bit of anger when your team are playing shite, but ten or twenty minutes into a game, really?

On Saturday , just behind where we were standing two yards to the right of the goal Mousinho was called ‘ a c##t’ in the first minute. I don’t even think the yob in question had even been drinking. A little gaggle of foul mouthed goblins then spewed constant bile for the rest of the first half. Topped off by Obika being described as a ‘sick note c##t ‘ as he limped off. A lot of people were getting upset.

Yes, we have some passionate away days and this one ranked in the top 2 or 3 over the last 10 years, but , let’s face it, we have more than our fair share of anger management candidates. Really depressing.

On Saturday , just behind where we were standing two yards to the right of the goal Mousinho was called ‘ a c##t’ in the first minute. I don’t even think the yob in question had even been drinking. A little gaggle of foul mouthed goblins then spewed constant bile for the rest of the first half. Topped off by Obika being described as a ‘sick note c##t ‘ as he limped off. A lot of people were getting upset.

What I don't understand is how they think they are helping things (if they really are supporters). Is abusing the players during the match actually going to help them play any better? Or are they just showing off to their little mates?

I have my doubts about the abilities of certain players - but they don't walk onto the pitch with the aim of playing deliberately badly and surely applauding them with they do something (or try to do something) positive rather than berating them from the very first moment of the game is more likely to lead to a positive result?

And while we are at it, don't boo the players off at half time when the score is 0-0!!!

Excellent read Paul.You Summed up not just the day but all of this season!
Thank you.
Along with Saturday's performance you've probably encouraged me to travel to many more away games this season.

Yes, we have some passionate away days and this one ranked in the top 2 or 3 over the last 10 years, but , let’s face it, we have more than our fair share of anger management candidates. Really depressing.

Just out of interest, which ones would you consider to be above this / which ones would you rate saturday as better than? Last weekend was probably the finest moment of my life football supporting career, but I don't get to too many away days, missed e.g. swindon and boro away last year - was this really better than them? Better than the Beano double at the county ground? (Not trying to be confrontational, genuinely curious!)

Wembley 2010 was better. Notts County 2016 was on a par. Middlesbrough was great - but we lost. Swindon wins were memorable but not as dramatic as Saturday. I would put Carlisle 2016 as a contender for great away game as well.

Last edited:
Saturday was what away days are all about.......
Setting off a 9.00am in the morning, thinking you have plenty of time, a few drinks, a bite to eat and before you know it the time is 2.00pm and you realise you are still a train journey away from the match at London Bridge station and in danger of missing the kick off, which is exactly what happened, I expected a good following from the yellows however walking through the small opening to the away end blew my mind, early indications it looked like we had a couple of thousand there (the cold light of day 1400 was about right) however the noise, which got louder as the game went on especially the last 15 minutes was out of this world and as already stated on this thread it could be the match that the players, the club and the supporters turn the corner and have the same attitude we had at the end of last season when we felt we could beat whoever was put in front of us.........
Having a home game this Saturday with one of our dearest rivals over the years who sold out of their 1800 allocation in one day could be the game we need especially if our supporters give as much as they did last week to push us on and hopefully get back on track to make an assault on this league.......
Well done to everyone who played their part at The Valley, I very memorable day in our long list of memorable away days we have had over the years.......
This club and our supporters never cease to amaze me......
COME ON YOU YELLOWS.......

Wembley 2010 was better. Notts County 2016 was on a par. Middlesbrough was great - but we lost. Swindon wins were memorable but not as dramatic as Saturday. I would put Carlisle 2016 as a contender for great away game as well.
For pure drama Saturday takes some beating. Perhaps a little more than just three points given the circumstances but no promotion or relegation or turning over of a side from a few divisions higher though.

I think there's four categories of Oxford goals when watched live:

1) Those that make you cheer
2) Those that make you cheer, and go embarassingly mental
3) Those that make you cheer, go embarassingly mental and then find yourself two rows away from where you're sat/stood, giving a bear hug to a complete stranger
4) Those that make you do all of the above, and then tear up a little at the hugeness of it.

Saturday was firmly in category 3, and there's not been many of those recently (I remember another away day at the Valley - the League Cup penalty shootout under Atkins - that would also qualify. Also a couple of Mark Rawle screamers during that weird month-long patch when he turned into the world's best striker in stoppage time every game)

Alfie at Wembley is the only one that hits category 4, though, since I started watching about 25 years ago.......

The sheer relief when Alfie scored at Wembley was huge, that goal and that victory was massive for the club, if we hadn’t gone up then I dread to think where we’d be now. Definitely a no.4 on the list.

Also remember hugging a stranger when we scored (Constable or Cook) against Luton at home in the Conferece.

Back
Top Bottom