Fan's View - Charlton at home

Excellent report.
Sinclair frustrates me, stay on your feet and quit the constant falling over. We are league one, not premiership where they get rewarded for innocuous tackles.
Agree, Garbs has come on considerably recently, would like a season long loan or permanent signing.
Kashi, excellent give him a chance.
Graham, with a pre season we might get more from him.
I’m not sure if we have Mackie signed for next year, but i’d Get a contract under his nose now.
COYY

Good stuff Paul, as usual.
Likewise I'm loving the stuff that Mackie gets up to, clever and usually, within the laws of the game.(!) Agree with you on Sinclair. Ruffs for me is our player of the season, so much energy and enthusiasm and, as you rightly point out, incredible fitness. I don't quite get what the player budget will mean in terms of who comes in or who goes out, perhaps some players are on silly money, Garbut must be on a high salary, maybe that's where the cuts will fall? Lg.1 players on Lg.1 salaries? Does that set up exist?
Anyway, just renewed our season tickets at £675.00 a piece, earliest we have ever done that! (last couple of years they weren't even available this early)

While I agree with a lot of it, I do disagree about Sinclair. Yesterday he basically cut an isolated figure, was one the few players with out and out pace and was pretty much played upfront on his own in the 2nd half with the way we dropped back deep. He also gave plenty back in the physical battle with the 2 centre halves who weren't adverse to using the dark arts. That doesn't take into account either the pressing of their defenders when they had the ball.

Makie signed for two years, so he will be here next season.

I agree with Paul's selection of the two loanees that it would be good to see again next year. Garbutt and Kashi. Which is not something I would have said six weeks ago! Of the rest, I wouldn't bother with Carruthers (we have enough midfielders of good quality) or Browne (the flashes of quality have oddly enough become increasingly rare). I quite like Sinclair for his work rate (and he has scored a few), but we obviously need more up front - the times he got free but made little of it yesterday were hugely frustrating. If we can re-loan him on favourable terms then fine, but he isn't worth busting the budget for. Graham is an odd one. At times you can see why he has been so highly regarded at times during his career but at others you can see why managers have got frustrated with him! He *should* be far too good for L1, but he isn't.

Excellent report Paul, I too would have Kashi and Garbutt back next season if budget allows. Sinclair is an odd one, he frustrates me but then I reflect that the team are delivering the ball to him as if he is Mackie and he's not. I feel if the ball was played more into space for him to run onto he would deliver more. Nelson deserves some chuck up before he leaves us, he has been outstanding and totally professional.

Mackie’s game management - love it! At one point yesterday Jack Stevens was about to get up from a robust foul when Mackie leant down and said words to the effect of “your injured - stay down!” Loved it.

Great report as usual.
I wonder if Nelson's goal, the "arched his run round the back of defence" was off the training ground or something decided on the spur of the moment.
It really baffles me why a professional football team can't come up with more routines, movement at corners, what do they do in training?
And as to Ruffles last minute, cross field run, showed intelligence, stamina, fitness and a bit of skill … quite Richardinho ..esque. As you say what a shame he couldn't finish it with a goal.

Great report as usual.
I wonder if Nelson's goal, the "arched his run round the back of defence" was off the training ground or something decided on the spur of the moment.
It really baffles me why a professional football team can't come up with more routines, movement at corners, what do they do in training?
And as to Ruffles last minute, cross field run, showed intelligence, stamina, fitness and a bit of skill … quite Richardinho ..esque. As you say what a shame he couldn't finish it with a goal.
I have just watched the Shrewsbury home match highlights and Nelson made an identical arching run. Unfortunately on that occasion the corner was delivered to the near post.

I agree with pretty much all on the OP, and about Sinclair. Again, in the first half the number of times a high ball was played up to him and he didnt even compete with the defender to try to make life difficult for them.

Second half, yes while playing the lone role upfront, he had 2 or 3 opportunities when through goal side of all defenders and either through lack of speed, or lack of thought, didnt make the most of any of them.

Very frustrating. In time this may improve, but I wouldn't be all that happy if he was our first choice striker next season.

While I agree with a lot of it, I do disagree about Sinclair. Yesterday he basically cut an isolated figure, was one the few players with out and out pace and was pretty much played upfront on his own in the 2nd half with the way we dropped back deep. He also gave plenty back in the physical battle with the 2 centre halves who weren't adverse to using the dark arts. That doesn't take into account either the pressing of their defenders when they had the ball.

The only player we have that I'd say has out and out pace is Gavin Whyte. I think Marcus Browne is pretty quick too but I have not detected that in Sinclair. If he did give plenty back then well done him. I honestly did not spot that nor pressing their defenders when they had the ball. I'll look out for it next time he plays.

Sinclair IS quick; in fact it’s his best asset. I’d have him back next season; for all the frustration he causes he looks like he can finish and has improved since January. He linked up smartly woth
Mackie in the last 20.

Sinclair looks more threatening than any striker I've seen playing for us over the past few years.

Would happily take him, keep Mackie and just for the love of God get rid of Obika.

Quite surprised at what many seem to think of Sinclair. I have an excellent vantage point at home games and he’s a really decent player. He hassles defenders and is deceptively strong. Multiple times in the first half against Charlton he showed excellent strength and work rate to get the ball and hold it, as well as good technique to get away from them or lay it off to others. If you’re behind the goal at the other end I could perhaps understand it as you’ll likely miss a lot of what he does in the first period, and his game in the second half always changes as the play evolves and the emphasis switches based on subs. But genuinely, I think he’s a really decent player.

Have also been confused to see a number of people recently saying he doesn’t get into good positions. Three of his four goals have come from exactly that, while the fourth came from chasing what many would’ve considered an aimless hoof and never bothered with, which required pace and tenacity to get to first. He also came within an inch of a bullet cross on the turn from Garbutt against Wycombe when no other player we have would’ve anticipated it, let alone come a studs length away from converting. How he even saw what was about to happen let alone got so close to a ball whipped in that fast is beyond me. It was forward play from another level, and yet at the time people criticised him for not reaching it rather than noticing the ball was not only put in too quickly for anybody to have met, but that he set off like a rocket when Garbutt hadn’t even turned, let alone fired it across.

He’s the best striker we’ve had since the promotion season with Hylton and Roofe. That might not be saying as much as it could given the dross we’ve seen since they both left, but he is. I’d happily see him next season.

I was sat in the North Stand and could not see where the smoke bomb came from you talked about? Was it let off from outside of the stadium?

I was sat in the North Stand and could not see where the smoke bomb came from you talked about? Was it let off from outside of the stadium?

Their supporters let them off in the stadium looking at pictures I seen and I think it is shown in the highlights in the video by the Charlton fan on the matchday thread. Can't say I paid much attention on the day to notice.

There were three let off when they scored the penalty. Two close to each other towards the fence end and then another towards the segregation.

Quite surprised at what many seem to think of Sinclair. I have an excellent vantage point at home games and he’s a really decent player. He hassles defenders and is deceptively strong. Multiple times in the first half against Charlton he showed excellent strength and work rate to get the ball and hold it, as well as good technique to get away from them or lay it off to others. If you’re behind the goal at the other end I could perhaps understand it as you’ll likely miss a lot of what he does in the first period, and his game in the second half always changes as the play evolves and the emphasis switches based on subs. But genuinely, I think he’s a really decent player.

Have also been confused to see a number of people recently saying he doesn’t get into good positions. Three of his four goals have come from exactly that, while the fourth came from chasing what many would’ve considered an aimless hoof and never bothered with, which required pace and tenacity to get to first. He also came within an inch of a bullet cross on the turn from Garbutt against Wycombe when no other player we have would’ve anticipated it, let alone come a studs length away from converting. How he even saw what was about to happen let alone got so close to a ball whipped in that fast is beyond me. It was forward play from another level, and yet at the time people criticised him for not reaching it rather than noticing the ball was not only put in too quickly for anybody to have met, but that he set off like a rocket when Garbutt hadn’t even turned, let alone fired it across.

He’s the best striker we’ve had since the promotion season with Hylton and Roofe. That might not be saying as much as it could given the dross we’ve seen since they both left, but he is. I’d happily see him next season.

Agree
He’s way better than people are giving him credit for

Yep. I’m in the East Stand and you can still see his qualities from there. Would love to see him here next season, alongside a more seasoned L1 forward and retaining Mackie as an impact-sub/general shithouse.

Yep. I’m in the East Stand and you can still see his qualities from there. Would love to see him here next season, alongside a more seasoned L1 forward and retaining Mackie as an impact-sub/general shithouse.

Yes Mackie is great to bring on to close out games...running the clock down etc. And that’s a bloody big ETC where Mackie is concerned!

Back
Top Bottom