Fan's View - Burton away

A frustrating day but hopefully, we will see Sinclair improve and get more opportunities. If anything, that's what would worry me, you mentioned a lot of high balls and poor passing on the floor. Good deliveries will be a must and it just won't work if the forward doesn't have the height.

That family, by the way, were also present at Brentford. I remember thinking then well done! Quite a task taking such a youngster with all the necessary paraphernalia!

A frustrating day but hopefully, we will see Sinclair improve and get more opportunities. If anything, that's what would worry me, you mentioned a lot of high balls and poor passing on the floor. Good deliveries will be a must and it just won't work if the forward doesn't have the height.

That family, by the way, were also present at Brentford. I remember thinking then well done! Quite a task taking such a youngster with all the necessary paraphernalia!

Yes, I think it is fantastic. More than fair play to them.

It will be a good opportunity for Jonte Smith. He has been stuck in the glue leagues for too long.

Interesting read, as ever Paul.

Your comment that "we do have some very good footballers at our club.. no doubt our rivals do too" is a salient point.

There is a school of thought that the intense competition in the PL raised standards in the Championship. It is now common for clubs in the 2nd tier to recruit players & coaches from abroad. This in turn is now increasing playing standards in the 3rd tier as domestic players are pushed down the pyramid.

Whilst we admire the likes of Eastwood, Nelse & Browne, it's dangerous to think we have too much quality in our squad in relation to rivals to go down - the bar in the division has been raised IMO.

Your comment that "we do have some very good footballers at our club.. no doubt our rivals do too" is a salient point.

There is a school of thought that the intense competition in the PL raised standards in the Championship. It is now common for clubs in the 2nd tier to recruit players & coaches from abroad. This in turn is now increasing playing standards in the 3rd tier as domestic players are pushed down the pyramid.

Whilst we admire the likes of Eastwood, Nelse & Browne, it's dangerous to think we have too much quality in our squad in relation to rivals to go down - the bar in the division has been raised IMO.

Agree with your comments. Just because we've got quality no way in my opinion guarantees that we won't go down. It is very much touch and go.

The bookies have more faith in us staying up than our supporters, me included, do. A rough check on current odds to be relegated are - Wimbledon 1/12, Gills 11/10, Bradford 11/8, Rochdale 13/8, Plymouth 2/1, Bristol Rovers 2/1, Walsall 5/2, Shrewsbury 5/2 then us at 3/1.
We still have to play 4 of those teams away and 2 at home.

Just think the risk could have been less if we’d brought in a proven striker/forward call it what you will which I feel is where most of the frustration is, especially as you say we’ve known for months that’s what we needed to address.

Having said that, I quite liked Sinclair’s movement and feel he will score goals. And by the sounds of Jonte, I think he will too. Just gives us more options!!

Great report as usual, and mostly accurate in the observations imho. You’re a little unfair on Sinclair. It was his first match; he is not yet familiar with the passes, runs and positioning of his colleagues and this will take a little time. It won’t be long, though, before he’s able to read when and where those crosses will be delivered. Then you’ll see him score goals. He is fast and direct. As a footnote/question : is he two-footed? He hit that awful shot with his left. As I write I’m thinking but he also fluffed that cross with his right.

I think the sending off worked against us, thought we were well on top before that. Credit to Nigel Clough and his team he reorganised and they reacted magnificently. I think Sinclair with be OK, anyway the cast is set and we will see. Thanks for the excellent report again Paul.

Yes the standard is really high even in Div 4 - even though we’ve never heard of most of the opposition players

I think the sending off worked against us, thought we were well on top before that. Credit to Nigel Clough and his team he reorganised and they reacted magnificently. I think Sinclair with be OK, anyway the cast is set and we will see. Thanks for the excellent report again Paul.

I do too. It was a much more open game in the first 12 minutes.
Have to say well done to Nigel Clough. the sign of a good manager in what he did.

Yes Burton did their job well.
Trouble was we were passing to feet of a player standing still so we couldn't get any momentum in moving forward and finding space. "Move and receive" is just as applicable as "pass and move"
About ten minutes from the end Whyte was standing on the touchline and Cam B's pass to him went out of play 5 yards in front of him, but if Whyte had started running as Cam was moving forward it would have been a perfect pass.

Good read as usual.
I agree about the defence.. Listening to Robinson on the radio on about the cover and competition we've got now in attack and midfield, it makes me worry that we do seem light at the back. Dickie seems to be making a fair few mistakes and would be good to have someone decent pushing him for a place. An injury or suspension to him or Nelson would be a concern

Good read as usual.
I agree about the defence.. Listening to Robinson on the radio on about the cover and competition we've got now in attack and midfield, it makes me worry that we do seem light at the back. Dickie seems to be making a fair few mistakes and would be good to have someone decent pushing him for a place. An injury or suspension to him or Nelson would be a concern
Yes despite all the wailing about strikers our goal scoring record is ok, whereas we do often look vulnerable at the back

Excellent as usual Paul.
We had chances in the first half but tyecquality was nowhere near as good as it was v Barnsley.
At half time it seemed to me that Clough said to his players to sit deep in line with the penalty area. That negated our speed. Whyte wasnt at his best and they coped very well with him.
We are better when teams have a go at us.
We need some wins. I would definitely take a draw from Sunderland and there are games that are winnable. We have shown that we can do it especially at home. As you say some squeaky bum games coming up.

I thought both Jordon G and Gavin W always tried to go the same way. Gavin targeted the goal line and Jordan appart from once in the first half always went to cut inside, the defenders easily predicted this although Gavin did get corners out of it. Anyone else think they should occasionally swap sides or is that just me being silly?

I thought both Jordon G and Gavin W always tried to go the same way. Gavin targeted the goal line and Jordan appart from once in the first half always went to cut inside, the defenders easily predicted this although Gavin did get corners out of it. Anyone else think they should occasionally swap sides or is that just me being silly?

I don't think that could do us any harm at all. At least it keeps the opposition guessing. Many managers get their wide men to do this from time to time. I can't remember KR instructing his players to do so.

That family would be myself, my wife and my little boy and yes we were also at Brentford. Fitting a child who is attached to you was quite a challenge in that cramped upper tier!

We have been taking our boy to home games since he was two weeks old, he is now nearly 17 months.

We aimed to go to every home and away league game this year.

So far we have missed Luton at home, Charlton away, Plymouth away.

Wont be making the trips to Accrington or Rochdale on Tuesday nights either but you should see us at all the other games (we are fairly easy to spot!)

And it must be said, the credit should really go to my wife. She organises everything.

I just drive us everywhere and carry him, they are the easy bits compared to the struggles she has changing him in the back seat of a car before a game!

Back
Top Bottom