Fan's View - Bradford at home

Thank you Paul
Good to read your thoughts as usual.
I couldn't make the game but read a lot about the strange end. What was the referee playing at?
Fine margins can define a season and it is not impossible that 16 seconds of football could keep us up.
8 points should be enough (maybe 9). Wycombe in a couple of weeks may not be for the faint hearted...

Thank you Paul
Good to read your thoughts as usual.
I couldn't make the game but read a lot about the strange end. What was the referee playing at?
Fine margins can define a season and it is not impossible that 16 seconds of football could keep us up.
8 points should be enough (maybe 9). Wycombe in a couple of weeks may not be for the faint hearted...

Will any of our games between now and the end of the season be for the faint hearted?

Thanks Paul, I was emotionally drained leaving the ground.
I was impressed with Kashi, but he could easily have been sent off, after being booked, he well and truly kicked the ball away, up into SSU. That really should have been a 2nd booking. But hey ho.
What made "that situation" even odder was the linesman was not flagging for any infringement when Ruffels was haring down the wing, so at what point did the linesman change his mind. All round a most bizarre bit refereeing on the back of some footballing drama.
The wind, I seem to remember a match at Mansfield being abandoned at HT due to the wind, around the Brian Talbot era.

There were a few other old gits going a bit mad, well very mad actually, what a feeling last minute winners are. So nice to leave the Kassam smiling and seeing lots of other smiles as well. Our finishing though my god were bad.

Like you there was quite a bit of celebrating amongst fellow loungers. What a feeling that is and how rare that has been this season.

I posted on the man of the match silliness elsewhere but, in case it got missed, the match sponsors were overheard, before the game kicked off, deciding that Sam Long would be their choice. ("because he's from Bicester")

Well written as usual Paul, I tonsaw the vlog and I thought it was hilarious, also I think it gives a clearer pictures with Ruffles collecting the ball it looks like he was watching it before he played the ball. All I can say thank god for a referee who is prepared to investigate what is correct.

Well written as usual Paul, I tonsaw the vlog and I thought it was hilarious, also I think it gives a clearer pictures with Ruffles collecting the ball it looks like he was watching it before he played the ball. All I can say thank god for a referee who is prepared to investigate what is correct.

I think so. He is an intelligent young man.

I was impressed with Kashi, but he could easily have been sent off, after being booked, he well and truly kicked the ball away, up into SSU. That really should have been a 2nd booking. But hey ho.
What made "that situation" even odder was the linesman was not flagging for any infringement when Ruffels was haring down the wing, so at what point did the linesman change his mind. All round a most bizarre bit refereeing on the back of some footballing drama.
The wind, I seem to remember a match at Mansfield being abandoned at HT due to the wind, around the Brian Talbot era.
I was there for the (half) match. It was difficult for goal kicks to even get out of the penalty area let along the defending teams own half. But I don't remember the ball refusing to stay still so much in dead ball situations there. Having 4 sides might have made a difference.
The Mansfield fans were really aggressive when it was called off. Blaming Oxford when it was down to the referee. They had played with the wind against them in the half that was played and I think had kept the score to 0-0. They'd assumed having weathered the storm they'd P**s it second half.
Well that's how I remember it.

Last edited:

Had forgotten all about that ball kicking away incident - pretty stupid and fortunate to get away with it. Mackie was fortunate too as you often see bookings for that, even if he didn’t actually step into the crowd.

I was there for the (half) match. It was difficult for goal kicks to even get out of the penalty area let along the defending teams own half. But I don't remember the ball refusing to stay still so much in dead ball situations there. Having 4 sides might have made a difference.
The Mansfield fans were really aggressive when it was called off. Blaming Oxford when it was down to the referee. They had played with the wind against them in the half that was played and I think had kept the score to 0-0. They'd assumed having weathered the storm they'd P**s it second half.
Well that's how I remember it.

Was that the one where the away stand roof was flexing quite a lot?

I was at the game, as I was working in Mansfield at the time. Its never a great place to watch a game!! It was horribly cold as usual there, but the wind so strong that the roof was flexing and the ball just would not stay still. I seem to remember that it was so bad that at times a player put his hand on the top of the ball while another took the kick!!! Or is my memory playing tricks?

Great read, as ever. Can't remember many feelings like it at the Kassam.
Mackie lashes it in, then back down to earth with a bang, confusion, then celebration again. Can't help thinking VAR would ruin that. We suffered the agony of a last minute loss the week before and a last gasp winner a week later. That's being a football supporter in a nutshell!

Was that the one where the away stand roof was flexing quite a lot?
For many years games would be called off at the skip due to the roof on the double decker (don rogers stand?) flapping about if there was anything stronger than a mild breeze

Back
Top Bottom