Fan's View - Accrington Away

Only seen the lowlights Paul but was Easty really as bad as he looked?

Looks like my decision not to attend away games until we improved is saving me a fair amount of dosh.

I am in the Manc area Friday/Sat but I still cannot bring myself to go to the 'seaside' game. I fear it would be too painful...

All sounds fair and reasonable as ever, Paul.

One thing I’m glad you picked up on was the silence from our players. I’ve been saying for some time that we don’t make a sound out there - there looks to be no leadership or belief at all. Jamie Mackie occasionally claps his hands but that’s about it. That is what makes me think we will go down more than anything. On the opening day of the season at Barnsley I noticed the exact same thing. After the third went in it was just Mackie on his own, clapping and shouting, and the rest of the team looked shell shocked. Nobody even looked at each other let alone spoke, and that has continued all season. There’s just nothing, week after week, home or away. Just silence.

I remember the 3-1 win up at Accrington in the promotion season well. In the first half I sat in the first row of the side seats before moving to the terrace at half time as we shot towards that end. I was really surprised by the level of communication between Baldock and Mullins especially. They never stopped talking and communicating, they were just a few feet away so it was clear as anything, and they just didn’t stop all half. Although further away you could hear Jake Wright doing the same on the left, and at any given time two or three Oxford players were talking, directing and organising. That was as much a part of our success as the sheer ability - we had a team of men who wanted to fight, wanted to take responsibility and were clearly motivated. That slipped badly last season but this season has completely disappeared. I truly believe that the alarm bells were there to be heard all the way back at Barnsley in August, and what you’ve said here in reference to last night sounds all too similar to what I’ve thought for a while.

Not everybody agrees on this forum and not everyone gets on with everybody else, but I do genuinely believe that we are already down as it stands, and the players need something - anything - to try to believe in. And that’s why I think Karl Robinson has to go ASAP. Whether it’s enough or not is irrelevant, because at the moment I don’t think he’s capable of getting them to believe in anything. I think we’re down with him in charge, so it isn’t about having a perfect manager ready to step in. It’s about having almost anybody else.

As for your observation that Robinson is now saying Garbutt is more of a winger than a defender, while we have two midfielders at full back and last night had a third in the back line... well, that’s a whole other level of madness and incompetence that goes in a different direction to the psychology at play.

You confirm I am not going mad and didn't hear the reason for the applause, although knew who it was probably for. Where was PRB?

What can anyone add to that? Sums the whole sorry mess up perfectly.

As for Mous playing in the back four. When Robinson let Raglan leave without bringing in a replacement centreback, Robinson explained that Mous would be the option and play there when required. Even though his performances in midfield was one of the main reason we’d started to show signs of recovery. This was of course to facilitate Robinson bringing in his old mate Kashi, who so far hasn’t been much use. For that reason alone Robinson should go. Now.

Thank you Paul.
Very depressing times.
Malcolm Shotton was the summariser on RO like you, suggested that we needed to get the basics right and each man needed to win their battle v their opponent and pretty football is pointless.
It is very worrying if we are conceding sloppy goals. When KR came in last season he tightened up the defence and we scrapped for the points. We need to do the same quickly.

It may be the only thing worth looking forward to in Blackpool - so where’s the best pint near the ground, Paul?

It may be the only thing worth looking forward to in Blackpool - so where’s the best pint near the ground, Paul?

Not a great place for beer tbh. I had the Pump & Truncheon pencilled in based on previous experience. Listed in the 2019 Good Beer Guide. But just discovered it is now permanently closed.

So all I can suggest are 2 places I've not been to before, both in the same street about a mile from the ground.

Saddle Inn, 286 Whitegate Drive, FY3 9PH. Good beer guide listed & 10% discount for CAMRA members.
No. 10 Ale House, 258 Whitegate Drive, FY3 9JW. Micro pub that only opened in July 2018.

Not a great place for beer tbh. I had the Pump & Truncheon pencilled in based on previous experience. Listed in the 2019 Good Beer Guide. But just discovered it is now permanently closed.

So all I can suggest are 2 places I've not been to before, both in the same street about a mile from the ground.

Saddle Inn, 286 Whitegate Drive, FY3 9PH. Good beer guide listed & 10% discount for CAMRA members.
No. 10 Ale House, 258 Whitegate Drive, FY3 9JW. Micro pub that only opened in July 2018.
Thanks. We’ll have a look. Staying in a B and B 20 minutes from the ground, so time to get sorted!

An excellent summary of the turmoil that seems to be getting worse by the week.
On the Ultra's incident on Saturday, surely IM or someone could have rung one of the Ultra's and say come at 12.00pm instead the usual time of 10.00am. To let these volunteers, who were giving significant free time, turn up knowing they won't be let in is just purely extremely discourteous and a shocking way to treat people. They must have had (or should of) a phone number of one of the group, and a simple phone call would have helped the situation, but I suppose that is what sums up the club at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom