Fan's View Fan's View 22/23 - No.3 Cambridge at home

Another nice report thanks. I personally don't read too much into possession and passing stats, both are far too easily skewed when you pass the ball out short from the keeper, then back and forth along the back line and then back to the keeper. Who does of course then hoof it up the pitch more often than not!

Another nice report thanks. I personally don't read too much into possession and passing stats, both are far too easily skewed when you pass the ball out short from the keeper, then back and forth along the back line and then back to the keeper. Who does of course then hoof it up the pitch more often than not!
Totally agree with you that passing stats can often be skewed. I think I might even have written as much in previous FVs. I don’t think in this we were passing it about at the back in meaningless fashion. Cambridge didn’t allowed us to do so. At least when a team keeps possession by passing it about the opposition isn’t going to score. The way the game went I don’t think Cambridge were ever going to hit us on the break.

Think I’ll keep an eye out to see how this plays out this season. Only 2 games in but Derby had the greater possession and made more passes (the two invariably go together) and beat us. We had the greater possession and made more passes than Cambridge and beat them.

Think I’ll keep an eye out to see how this plays out this season. Only 2 games in but Derby had the greater possession and made more passes (the two invariably go together) and beat us. We had the greater possession and made more passes than Cambridge and beat them.
The exception to this, of course, is Wycombe Wanderers and their 'unique' blend of football. The stats for their 3-0 win v Burton...
1659953362585.png
(taken from the BBC Sport website). They were well down on possession despite the comprehensive scoreline.

The exception to this, of course, is Wycombe Wanderers and their 'unique' blend of football. The stats for their 3-0 win v Burton...
View attachment 9713
(taken from the BBC Sport website). They were well down on possession despite the comprehensive scoreline.
Definitely. There are one or two teams who fall into this category. Leicester I believe very much did so when they won the Premier League.
In Wycombe's case here shot / shots on target very much trump possession.
All interesting stuff for nerds like me who like stats.

A good write up as usual Paul.
Very interesting regarding the Cambridge ground. £100k seems a decent rate at the moment and it only refers to the ground being purchased for a very fair price?

Paul you mention the 7400 odd Oxford fans leaving the ground buzzing. I reckon it was nearer 7000 max. Many around me left long before the end, the earliest was in 81st minute and plenty more before the 4 minute board went up.
You do wonder what there is to gain by leaving early, especially after so many late goals last season?

Paul you mention the 7400 odd Oxford fans leaving the ground buzzing. I reckon it was nearer 7000 max. Many around me left long before the end, the earliest was in 81st minute and plenty more before the 4 minute board went up.
You do wonder what there is to gain by leaving early, especially after so many late goals last season?

The seven or eight people who stand to the left of me at the top of the East Stand had gone.

It allowed me to run along the row, leaping around like a tit when the winner went in, so every cloud.

Thanks Paul, another nice report.
I think the shots not on target stats can be misleading.
I experienced all their 9 shots not on target as pretty scary - we should have done better to prevent them shooting at all.

I should have factored that in. Serves them right. I just don't get it. It's not as if there had never before been a last minute winner in the history of football.

Thanks Paul, another nice report.
I think the shots not on target stats can be misleading.
I experienced all their 9 shots not on target as pretty scary - we should have done better to prevent them shooting at all.
I may be getting carried away with a clean sheet and only conceding 1 goal in 180 minutes football. But I'm going to enjoy it whilst it lasts.

Back
Top Bottom