Fan's View Fan's View 21/22 - no.45 - Morecambe away

Spot on Paul. Two of my colleagues went to the match & their report today was your comments verbatim.
As you say the alarm bells were ringing at the Ipswich game where we were poor & "stole" a point. Mathematically we can still get into the top 6 but I think we all know we are just not physically strong enough (dare I say 'good' enough) to go further.

All so true, sadly.
What is just as bad as the team letting us down is that both Mrs Lounger and I were agreed that we probably would prefer not to make the play-offs at all than have to sit through another couple of ties in similar style to Blackpool or worse, Wycombe in a Wembley final.
We are all, possibly, eternal optimists when it comes to OUFC but, do we really want to be put through all that again?

(But, of course, we will go through it again and spend more cash on doing so. It's what we do. We must all be barking mad)

Funnily enough I was asking myself (and others) these two questions before the Morecambe game.
1. Has Karl taken us as far as he can?
2. Should we get rid of him?
My answer to 1. is quite probably. The defensive side of the game has never been mastered to the level required to go up. he has had years to address that.
With regard to 2. I, at this point in time, don't think so. He has been great for the club and we are still in with a chance of the play-offs.
But we could be left forever in or around the play-offs never to progress. Some people may be happy with that - with the 6-0 at Lincoln, 7-2 at Gillingham and 4-0 at Charlton etc. being more than enough to compensate for games like yesterday and the falling apart against Swindon at the Kassam etc.
I recall a few weeks back when I was pointing out the inadequacies as I saw them I was told I was just moaning and then someone else chipped in saying they would rather see the football we're playing under Karl than that under previous managers. I totally agree with that but I want us to progress beyond where we are now. A new manager cannot guarantee that this would be so.

“Don’t we have a right to expect something a little better?” Absolutely.
Robinson has been backed with a decent budget and the ability to shape the team he wants over the last few years. But his arrogance, his misplaced self-belief, his intransigence is frustrating. He can burble about “bad luck and injuries “ all he likes, but you make your own luck, as he has proved with his clueless recruitment policy.
Having trawled down to Devon, and now having booked a weekend in Blackpool for the Fleetwood game, I am beginning to feel rather let down. And I didn’t even make it up to Morecambe (fair play to the 350! )
I’ve really had enough of KR and his excuses. No I don’t have an encyclopaedic knowledge of all the possible managers who might replace him, but they’re out there.
At the end of the season Robinson should be released.

Maybe a decent budget but we are competing against teams that have twice the budget that we do.

Oh dear! I didn’t see any of the game but that sounds sadly believable and accurate. Where are our enforcers? And also what do the rest of the coaching staff do? I can’t believe John Mousinho wants to play wingers in defence, or that he’s scared to speak up to Karl.

Might I suggest that going forward Paul's excellent work becomes the after the match thread with comments locked until his well thought out and written piece is posted.

Oh dear! I didn’t see any of the game but that sounds sadly believable and accurate. Where are our enforcers? And also what do the rest of the coaching staff do? I can’t believe John Mousinho wants to play wingers in defence, or that he’s scared to speak up to Karl.
We had to play Marvin Johnson in defence at times this season, he stood up to the task and after a shaky start and being one of the ones fans would moan about he's now one of the first names down on the team sheet and is a key player.

The expectations of some people are too high.We are just about above average,& that's not just league position.Its average attendances, average stadium, average budget .All in all its about where we should be.

The expectations of some people are too high.We are just about above average,& that's not just league position.Its average attendances, average stadium, average budget .All in all its about where we should be.

Some people want to improve and progress.

Every time somebody talks about how the budget isn’t all that, an angel shits its toga.

Somebody ought to tell MK and Plymouth that they don’t need to try so hard.

Ey? So the make up of a stadium will dictate where you finish in the league, will it? What a load of tosh!

Robinson has had a very reasonable budget this season (and last). Our Board have backed him very well and he, HE has built to this point for the past 4 years.

Continuity is great. I am all for giving Managers time. However, it cannot be overlooked that the squad deficiencies from our defeat to Wycombe 2 seasons ago and Blackpool last year have not been addressed.

If all teams should accept 'where we should be' what is the point of playing? By your theory, Brentford shouldn't be in the prem with crowds of just 18,000 and Bournemouth should not have had their golden years in the Prem on 12,000 fans.

Try telling man city Chelsea , in fact half of the premiership about budget🙈🙉🙊

Ey? So the make up of a stadium will dictate where you finish in the league, will it? What a load of tosh!

Robinson has had a very reasonable budget this season (and last). Our Board have backed him very well and he, HE has built to this point for the past 4 years.

Continuity is great. I am all for giving Managers time. However, it cannot be overlooked that the squad deficiencies from our defeat to Wycombe 2 seasons ago and Blackpool last year have not been addressed.

If all teams should accept 'where we should be' what is the point of playing? By your theory, Brentford shouldn't be in the prem with crowds of just 18 thousand and Bournemouth should not have had the thir golden years in the Prem on 12,000 fans.
Yes the stadium does dictate things. If we had a forth stand Saturdays match against Sunderland would of been bigger attendance.which in turn = more revenue, which in turn = bigger budget.

Yes the stadium does dictate things. If we had a forth stand Saturdays match against Sunderland would of been bigger attendance.which in turn = more revenue, which in turn = bigger budget.

Ah yes, that's it....

Tell that to Bradford (avg crowd roughly 15,000 in lg2)
scum (avg crowd roughly 11,000 in lg2)
Portsmouth (avg crowd roughly 16,000 in lg1)
Ipswich (avg crowd roughly 19,000 lg1)
Charlton (avg crowd roughly 13,000 lg1)

Those bigger crowds and bigger budgets are really working for them. It must make all the difference.

Might I suggest that going forward Paul's excellent work becomes the after the match thread with comments locked until his well thought out and written piece is posted.
That's very kind but it often takes me ages to get the FV written and many want to get things off their chests immediately.

How long have you been supporting Oxford?

Back
Top Bottom