Fan's View Fan's View 21/22 - no.45 - Morecambe away

Ey? So the make up of a stadium will dictate where you finish in the league, will it? What a load of tosh!

Robinson has had a very reasonable budget this season (and last). Our Board have backed him very well and he, HE has built to this point for the past 4 years.

Continuity is great. I am all for giving Managers time. However, it cannot be overlooked that the squad deficiencies from our defeat to Wycombe 2 seasons ago and Blackpool last year have not been addressed.

If all teams should accept 'where we should be' what is the point of playing? By your theory, Brentford shouldn't be in the prem with crowds of just 18 thousand and Bournemouth should not have had the thir golden years in the Prem on 12,000 fans.
Yes the stadium does dictate things. If we had a forth stand Saturdays match against Sunderland would of been bigger attendance.which in turn = more revenue, which in turn = bigger budget.
P.s your forgetting more away fans as well
How long have you been supporting Oxford?
1967/68

Yes the stadium does dictate things. If we had a forth stand Saturdays match against Sunderland would of been bigger attendance.which in turn = more revenue, which in turn = bigger budget.
P.s your forgetting more away fans as well

1967/68

More away fans would assist us with winning more home games? Are you drunk?

The expectations of some people are too high.We are just about above average,& that's not just league position.Its average attendances, average stadium, average budget .All in all its about where we should be.
What a sad outlook!

Yes the stadium does dictate things. If we had a fourth stand Saturday's match against Sunderland would have had a bigger attendance, which in turn = more revenue, which in turn = bigger budget.
A very simple view of how football finances work.

I didn't say that , I'm talking about money .anyhow if your good enough ,what about away fans.Remember the early to mid 80s,3000 away fans packed into the cuckoo lane.We blew teams away.So if I'm drunk, you must be stoned😱😱

Exactly

I'm not constantly implying, they should be happy.Do you think I'm happy, far from it. It's not the fans fault.

"The expectations of some people are too high.We are just about above average,& that's not just league position.Its average attendances, average stadium, average budget .All in all its about where we should be."

Ring any bells?

"The expectations of some people are too high.We are just about above average,& that's not just league position.Its average attendances, average stadium, average budget .All in all its about where we should be."

Ring any bells?
I'm not happy , but I more a less knew knew we weren't good enough from the beginning of the season. So my expectations weren't high. Living on hope if anything.its a big ask to reach playoffs 3 years in a row.

So the injuries to key players is KR's fault? Despite what a lot of you think he is highly regarded in the game &, after all the off-field things he has done for the club, it would be lunacy to give him his P45. Wait until top 6 is mathematically impossible before more discussion?

"None of us thought we’d go up. My logic being that thing I keep coming back to – we have not got that strength, that bit extra to stop other teams playing whilst still being able to keep our football going in the face of physicality, when the stakes are as high as they are now."

And for that read the career of Karl Robinson. His teams are good but frequently lack 'that little bit extra' every time. Be it MK Dons, Charlton or us, the story is the same. The football is easy-on-the-eye and when it clicks against inferior opposition or a side that chooses a suicidal route like Burton do it's magnificent. When exposed to a physical side like Wycombe or even Blackpool in the playoffs, we're a soft touch. He's a young manager but hasn't changed his ways and I fear that he may never do so. 600+ games managed and all but one season of those has been in League 1.

'I really think we need a goal keeping upgrade.'

I understand this view however I think it is reactionary. Stevens hasn't hit the heights of last season, for sure, and certain questions do need to be asked. Presently, Eastwood is in better form despite being (in my view) the marginally inferior 'keeper. However, Stevens' campaign has been a frustrating one due to COVID and glandular fever. Both can knock you out. I had a friend at university who was fit and healthy who contracted glandular fever and had to retake the year. Neither of these ailments you recover from quickly even though you can get back out on the pitch and I'm making the assumption that these have had some impact on his performances. He's 24 and was improving with every performance last season. Has he suddenly become a bad 'keeper or peaked and is on the decline? Get him rested, monitored on performance and up to speed for next year for a campaign hopefully without interruptions. He can come good again and we know he is more than capable - 2020-21 proved it.

And KR - choose one or the other. Flip-flopping between the two 'keepers and bemoaning your defence is not a criticism of them, it's on you. Not knowing who your best goalkeeper is in pre-season is fine. Not knowing by April is not.

Extremely harsh on Stevens in the 'Fan's View'. Almost no chance any keeper would have saved that second one - covering his near post (rightly) as the player comes at him from the right hand side of the box, steps to his right to cover when the ball is crossed and then passed into the bottom corner with a nice finish well out of reach. If there's additional blame for the goal (aside from Kane), you have to ask why wonderboy McNalley doesn't get touch-tight on the only attacker available for a pass. But even doing that would be pretty harsh too.

First one took a nasty deflection off Taylor so would be more through luck than skill if he'd saved that.

We are all massively disappointed..but so will 3 other teams be in the playoffs. Though to be in it to win it does help - try telling that to at least 3 other "big hitters'. Squad size + "passengers" like Hanson or Winnall contribute to limitations. I felt that Baldock's injury was a massive blow but I have been to 2 live games and seen 11 oufc goals.

Exactly

Orient anyone?

let's also not forget Mapp's comment about what the first thing the away side see as they walk on to to the pitch.

correct me if i'm wrong but away fans is 15% of capacity so @Scrongo comments make even less sense

We are all massively disappointed..but so will 3 other teams be in the playoffs. Though to be in it to win it does help - try telling that to at least 3 other "big hitters'. Squad size + "passengers" like Hanson or Winnall contribute to limitations. I felt that Baldock's injury was a massive blow but I have been to 2 live games and seen 11 oufc goals.
I'd think that MK, Weds, or Plymouth are likeliest to go up via playoffs, leaving a lot of massive clubs to scrap it out again next season.

A very simple view of how football finances work.

Extremely harsh on Stevens in the 'Fan's View'. Almost no chance any keeper would have saved that second one - covering his near post (rightly) as the player comes at him from the right hand side of the box, steps to his right to cover when the ball is crossed and then passed into the bottom corner with a nice finish well out of reach. If there's additional blame for the goal (aside from Kane), you have to ask why wonderboy McNalley doesn't get touch-tight on the only attacker available for a pass. But even doing that would be pretty harsh too.

First one took a nasty deflection off Taylor so would be more through luck than skill if he'd saved that.
I have just watched the second Morecambe goal again. No way is that finish well out of reach. Still a good finish though. But yes I may well be harsh on JS. However other keepers seem to make wonder saves against us quite regularly to preserve a win or draw. We are not doing the same to them.

Exactly

Orient anyone?

let's also not forget Mapp's comment about what the first thing the away side see as they walk on to to the pitch.

correct me if i'm wrong but away fans is 15% of capacity so @Scrongo comments make even less sense
I don't think so, a 4 sided k****m = 15000 thousand. 3000 away fans tucked away in corner or whatever
Exactly

Orient anyone?

A 4 sided k****m = 15000 fans. So if 3000 away fans in the so called west stand leaves us with 12000 fans 😊

Exactly

Orient anyone?

Remember Sheffield Wednesday at the manor years ago .
3 quarters of the ground away fans 😂😂

Back
Top Bottom