Fan's View Fan's View 21/22 - no.33 - Wigan away

A great write up as usual Paul. One comment from me though regarding the window and players leaving for a free, with regards to Moore and Sykes, I’m not sure it is much of an issue. Part of me thinks Moore will sign another deal but if not then I think we will bring in a capable replacement. As for Sykes, if he leaves then he does. Is it any coincidence that he has started to play well 6-7 months before his contract is up? All feels very Jon Ashton like. He has been good this season but overall a very inconsistent player and from what I hear Smyth could be the best NI import we have signed yet. I see Smyth as a replacement for Sykes and long term for Henry.
Both Moore and Sykes will have to keep their form up if they want a big move in the summer so again it’s a positive for us.

A great write up as usual Paul. One comment from me though regarding the window and players leaving for a free, with regards to Moore and Sykes, I’m not sure it is much of an issue. Part of me thinks Moore will sign another deal but if not then I think we will bring in a capable replacement. As for Sykes, if he leaves then he does. Is it any coincidence that he has started to play well 6-7 months before his contract is up? All feels very Jon Ashton like. He has been good this season but overall a very inconsistent player and from what I hear Smyth could be the best NI import we have signed yet. I see Smyth as a replacement for Sykes and long term for Henry.
Both Moore and Sykes will have to keep their form up if they want a big move in the summer so again it’s a positive for us.
I am not sure that you can so easily dismiss Moore and Sykes (we can get replacements)
Over the past few months Sykes has been outstanding. He has a fantastic engine and finally has scored scoring and making goals. In my view he has become a special player.
It's a bit frustrating that when he finally comes good, he appears to want out.

I'm being pedantic here but my gut feel is he wanted out then came good. Of course I've got no evidence for that but there were internal rumblings about his attitude and then there was his treatment of NI. Hope I'm wrong and he stays with us, he is fantastic at the moment.
Great read Paul.

Robinson knows which buttons to press to get Sykes performing. He responds to what many term as being "thrown under the bus" with improvement when his standards have slipped.

It would be a shame if his head has been turned by people whispering "Don't let him treat you like that" to further their own agenda - yes football agents, I'm talking to you.

As i've said many times Agents don't care whom they trample on, including their own clients.

"Fans view" the Modern Football Pink and always a well balanced read.

Sykes is good enough for the Championship right now and that’s where he’ll be playing next season. Hopefully with us. But I doubt it.
His attitude throughout his stay with us has been excellent, can’t fault it. His agent of course is another matter. Because it’s a game of percentages for these dudes.

I have to say I disagree with this 'coincidence' theory - i genuinely think it has taken two years for Sykes to develop as a footballer. He needed to get fitter and stronger (remember how easily he was bowled over and lost challenges initially) and he's worked incredibly hard to improve his final ball and finishing. His decision making has become more consistent and he has terrific engine. He's been very consistent this season with a few indifferent games thrown in (as everybody has) and that's also an improvement from the past two seasons. Good on him and Robbo for hanging on in.

Come on Steve, you've not heard anything more about Smyth than we have - I hope he is even better but it's a calculated, relatively low-risk gamble on our part.

Sykes is good enough for the Championship right now and that’s where he’ll be playing next season. Hopefully with us. But I doubt it.
His attitude throughout his stay with us has been excellent, can’t fault it. His agent of course is another matter. Because it’s a game of percentages for these dudes.
A real shame that his obvious talent was not noticed and appreciated by a large number of the Oufc Community instead of virtual blaming him solely for the Swindon collapse and bizarrely one of Blackpools goals in the play off first leg among other defeats.
So many doubters still had him on their list to be shown the exit door in the early stages of this season.

A real shame that his obvious talent was not noticed and appreciated by a large number of the Oufc Community instead of virtual blaming him solely for the Swindon collapse and bizarrely one of Blackpools goals in the play off first leg among other defeats.
So many doubters still had him on their list to be shown the exit door in the early stages of this season.

Sykes has improved hugely, he is now fulfilling his talent. This is excellent for all.

Many of his performances last season were worthy of negative criticism.

I'm not sure what the problem with that is.

Sykes has improved hugely, he is now fulfilling his talent. This is excellent for all.

Many of his performances last season were worthy of negative criticism.

I'm not sure what the problem with that is.
there was / is nothing wrong with criticism but it often ignored his obvious talent and became a blame culture that exists in modern society. just because a player has the odd perceived poor performance does not mean he should be heading for the exit door and that is what was happening.

Thank you, Paul.

I agree (from the highlights) about the Wigan goal. It was like a few we conceded when Eastwood in goal - across the keeper from a fairly tight angle. Can keepers be coached to do better / improve the percentages in these situations?

My view on Mark Sykes – on tremendous form at the moment. To be just about a nailed on starter at present when there is so much competition for places speaks volumes.

I don’t go along with this just doing the business now because his contract is soon to run out. It will take time for a player his age to develop and establish themselves coming from the Northern Ireland Premiership to EFL 1 and that’s only if they have the talent, desire and right mentality. Many players deserved criticism for that defeat at the Kassam against Swindon. I think a few home truths were told and it was a massive wake up call for him which has worked a treat.

We also shouldn’t overlook the fact that he has scored 8 league goals this season. Previously I think he’d only got a couple so that side of his game has improved greatly too even though he is not a natural finisher.

Like all of them though he has to do the best for himself and his family.

Great report as usual Paul.
Their goal came straight after after that quick double refereeing decision which didn't go in our favour. Firstly we should have been awarded a free kick for a foul 10 yards in their half then as they attacked Moore got wrongly penalised for a tackle 10 yards in our half. I felt Moore got the ball. Moore let his frustration out and got booked. I think concentration lapsed for a few minutes, leading to the poor defending for their goal.
The ref had a very strange game.

Back
Top Bottom