Fan's View Fan's View 21/22 - no.32 - Gillingham away

So apparently it’s never happened in recorded English league history that one player has scored 4 penalties in a game. Trying to work out the odds …
In a 24 team league there are 12 games each match day and 46 match days. So In just one season in league 1 that’s 1092 matches. Four divisions of slightly different sizes = 4000 games per season. Over 100 years of football with different size divisions = 400,000 games.

And 650 of us were there to see it happen.

I’m trying to think of anything comparable.
There are the obvious “most goals by one player in a game”.

Or the six headed goals vs Shrewsbury ?

Please point out any obvious error!

Dahlberg pretty much invited CB to put the penalties where he did considering Dahlberg was already diving before CB hit the ball.

As a further aside, nice dummy by Winnall for Forde's goal.

I think Cam has definitely set a record in this country at least. Worldwide? Well it's hard to say, the record win in a game is 149-0!

the betting story reminds me of a game years ago at home.
I had a £5 bet on moody to score 1st and oxford to beat Halifax 5 -1. Long before cash outs. It was something like 500/1
Moody scores 1st then scores a penalty near the end to make it 5 -1 me and my mate were going absolutely bananas when the 5th went in. We were going to vegas.
Then manny ombuimi scored a 6th after. Never been so gutted for us to score a goal. Never been closer to a big pay out.

Spotted first mistake. I double counted matches on match day between two teams as two matches.
12 * 46 = 552 games per season
x 4 leagues = 2000 (rounding down)
X 100 years = 200,000

Also I don’t like this as the “odds” , rather that it has happened for the first time in 200,000 recorded english football league games.

Anyone got a better calculation?

the betting story reminds me of a game years ago at home.
I had a £5 bet on moody to score 1st and oxford to beat Halifax 5 -1. Long before cash outs. It was something like 500/1
Moody scores 1st then scores a penalty near the end to make it 5 -1 me and my mate were going absolutely bananas when the 5th went in. We were going to vegas.
Then manny ombuimi scored a 6th after. Never been so gutted for us to score a goal. Never been closer to a big pay out.
There are some great betting stories about. Some you win, some you lose. Or should that be very rarely you win, almost always you lose?

Thanks Paul. I went, or rather, crammed, into the Past and Present the last time I went to watch us at Gillingham and enjoyed it. Not quite up there in the micro pub stakes as those found in Middlesbrough or Southend but they’re a very welcome addition to towns that perhaps don’t have the greatest reputation for real ale. If SB does go ahead I’d like to think one of two of the shops on that main through road in Kidlington could be converted into micropubs - a good business opportunity for the right person.

Back
Top Bottom