Fan's View Fan's View 21/22 - No.11 - Gillingham at home

Have to agree with everything you wrote Paul. Mention of the Blenheim as an acceptable watering hole takes me back some 40 years or so, I was working at Selfridges, as was, in the Westgate - the old one - and that was the drinking place of choice for those illicit lunchtime pints. That it is still going is a miracle.

As for the game, frustrating to say the least. The players have the skill set but not the signed off apprenticeship. As for those who went on to higher pastures, what can be said? Is this to be another season of, if only or, very nearly? I'm not sure that will wash with the new money on the horizon.

Have to agree with everything you wrote Paul. Mention of the Blenheim as an acceptable watering hole takes me back some 40 years or so, I was working at Selfridges, as was, in the Westgate - the old one - and that was the drinking place of choice for those illicit lunchtime pints. That it is still going is a miracle.

As for the game, frustrating to say the least. The players have the skill set but not the signed off apprenticeship. As for those who went on to higher pastures, what can be said? Is this to be another season of, if only or, very nearly? I'm not sure that will wash with the new money on the horizon.
Didn't there used to be a bloke get in the Blenheim back in the day whose party piece was to eat light bulbs? Or perhaps that was in the evening not at lunchtime.

Thing is, has the new money kicked in yet? Has the new era started? Or are we in a holding pattern?

Thing is, has the new money kicked in yet? Has the new era started? Or are we in a holding pattern?
I wish I knew. Keep hearing that things are moving but, nothing happens. Very frustrating. I dare say a lot has happened but, nothing has been made public.
I keep asking anyone who might know but, either they don't know, or won't say.

The thing is, there is so much rumour and talk that something must be going on. I just wish it would all be made public. Then, we could all have a drink, say cheers, and look forward to some happy days!

Didn't there used to be a bloke get in the Blenheim back in the day whose party piece was to eat light bulbs? Or perhaps that was in the evening not at lunchtime.
I actually remember him, no idea what his name was or even what he looked like but, yes, you are correct. That takes me back a bit!
Apparently it is possible, I have no idea why anybody would but, it is possible!

I actually remember him, no idea what his name was or even what he looked like but, yes, you are correct. That takes me back a bit!
Apparently it is possible, I have no idea why anybody would but, it is possible!
I think it’s just a light diet!

• React
Reactions: m
Another enjoyable read, many thanks Paul.

This season is balancing on a knife edge at the moment. We’ll have a better idea of which way its going to fall after Tuesday night.

Very disappointing and surprising that Radox glossed over it. We are nowhere near the level needed to challenge in this league. Hope I’m completely wrong.

Nickname Wolfie ? (Or perhaps I've just made that up)

I too used to sometimes nip into the Blenheim for a quick half or pint when I worked in Oxford. That though was in much more recent times.

Nickname Wolfie ? (Or perhaps I've just made that up)

I too used to sometimes nip into the Blenheim for a quick half or pint when I worked in Oxford. That though was in much more recent times.
That sounds vaguely familiar, he used to stand at the bar, I think. Memory is not what it used to be! (and this is going back 45 years or thereabouts!)
The bar then had wooden pillars and the typical decor of the day, dark reds and a slightly iffy carpet to hide the stains! Did serve good food and quickly, a bonus when on a lunch break. A world away from how it looks now!

Have just watched the highlights. How we didnt manage to score the two goals and not get the penalty was unbelievable. Only two points off the playoffs so no panic here though a win on tuesday would be very welcome!

Have just watched the highlights. How we didnt manage to score the two goals and not get the penalty was unbelievable. Only two points off the playoffs so no panic here though a win on tuesday would be very welcome!
Absolutely no need to panic at this stage of the season but it is the realisation on what we've seen so far that we don't look top six unless we play better than we have done. And for me with the squad we've got the jury is still out on whether we can do so consistently.
Five teams above us have played a game less than us.

Good report Paul - as usual & i agree with most of your points. I am stunned today to read in the OM that Karl has ...(quote) "not yet played his strongest side". Not sure when he has that pencilled in for but it damn well better be tonight!

Good report Paul - as usual & i agree with most of your points. I am stunned today to read in the OM that Karl has ...(quote) "not yet played his strongest side". Not sure when he has that pencilled in for but it damn well better be tonight!
Probably the team that played Gillingham less Gorrin plus McGuane. (plus fully fit and match sharp)

Problem for me, we can't just reply solely on this eleven. Need to pick up more points as a squad regardless of who plays.

If you look at the table and consider if we had won just one of the those games we were winning (and managed to lose), we'd all sound so much more positive.

I really don't think I'm being greedy or kidding myself to suggest that we could be better off by at least three points, if a couple of decisions (made by the ref, manager or player) had gone our way.

Back
Top Bottom