Fan's View Fan's View 2021/22 - No.19 - Ipswich away

Thanks Paul, as ever entertaining.
Yes, there was some very unpleasant activity outside the ground on the way out. We were shouted at, twice, and one idiot who was more than old enough to know better, deliberately barged into me. I thought they were better in Ipswich.

Then there was getting away from the car park, blimey! If anyone thought our carpark was bad, 45 minutes we waited to move no more than 50 yards and then ran into another jam 2 minutes later! Took us an hour to cover the two miles to our hotel - good job the bar was open!

Thanks Paul, as ever entertaining.
Yes, there was some very unpleasant activity outside the ground on the way out. We were shouted at, twice, and one idiot who was more than old enough to know better, deliberately barged into me. I thought they were better in Ipswich.

Then there was getting away from the car park, blimey! If anyone thought our carpark was bad, 45 minutes we waited to move no more than 50 yards and then ran into another jam 2 minutes later! Took us an hour to cover the two miles to our hotel - good job the bar was open!
We were back in Bicester by just gone half past 7.
Police need to come down hard on the instigators of said unpleasant activity before we get a return to the bad old days. If morons see that they can get away with it unpunished it will slowly get worse.

We were back in Bicester by just gone half past 7.
Police need to come down hard on the instigators of said unpleasant activity before we get a return to the bad old days. If morons see that they can get away with it unpunished it will slowly get worse.
I don't know if it's just me (though anecdotally it has been confirmed by a few match-going friends of other teams, as well), but there seems to be a lot more aggro amongst opposition fans outside grounds to me this year. It might just have been me happening to miss it for the last few years, and it's not been anything serious, but I've definitely seen a few more scuffles outside grounds this season than in previous. Would be interested to know if others have had the same impression. Maybe something to do with pent-up emotions during the lockdowns?

It was indeed an enthralling match and one of the most enjoyable away days I had in a while.
Good photo by the way 😉

Thank you Paul.
With regard to the referee, he seemed to miss at least 1 penalty for us ( having watched Quest).
So to a certain extent Ipswich got away with one there.

I don't know if it's just me (though anecdotally it has been confirmed by a few match-going friends of other teams, as well), but there seems to be a lot more aggro amongst opposition fans outside grounds to me this year. It might just have been me happening to miss it for the last few years, and it's not been anything serious, but I've definitely seen a few more scuffles outside grounds this season than in previous. Would be interested to know if others have had the same impression. Maybe something to do with pent-up emotions during the lockdowns?
There was Bolton too. I hoped we'd come out of lockdown a more tolerant and understanding society as people should realise "we're all in it together". Not a bit of that sadly.

Good read as ever.

The vlog thing has to be some sort of weird humour..... doesn't it?

On the case as usual Paul. The usual crowd observations from me - that drum is a bloody irritant and the home crowd seemed a little subdued, even acknowledging that a passionate away support will invariably out-sing a largish home crowd (Portsmouth seemingly excepted).

Also, that is the worse PA I've heard in a ground for years - it sounded like Rob Brydon's man in a box sketch and I couldn't hear anything that was being announced.

As for the referee - I didn't think he was any worse than the others we see on a regular basis. I suppose the Ipswich fans thought he was too easily taken in by our players going down near the end. He certainly didn't get that much wrong decision wise.

Re. Dark arts - ‘there was nowhere near as much of it here as a significant number of Ipswich fans would have you believe.’

Bang on. We resorted to some stifling tactics but it was way past the 80th minute before we decided to do that. Ipswich fans were banging on like we’d tried it on all game. A bit of game management to secure a point when three looked unlikely and losing it was still possible is common sense.

That chap in the striped yellow and blue scarf in the final photo is rather handsome too! 😉

still bitter
Interesting ticket promotion for their three Christmas / New Year games. Adults £15 or 3 for £40.

Wouldn't have thought that these games needs the discount as they are hardly midweek minnows games. Though perhaps their season ticket support is big enough that they don't really need to worry about pay-on-the days?
Sunderland, Lincoln can be expected to bring decent away support

Last edited:
still bitter

All I've got to say to Karl Fuller is "Ah, diddums". There seems a decent number of Ipswich fans who think they are far superior to everybody else (technically, ability etc), it is only that they aren't quite putting it together that they aren't hammering teams and flying at the top of the league. Apparently the comments were similar over the Plymouth game where Plymouth won.

They should now be referred to as the Self declared MIGHTY Ipswich Town.

I've always preferred Norwich, sensible kit colour and nicer fans. I guess I've never got that defeat in 1986 when Butcher should have been sent off before they mugged us in the last minute out of my system.

I've always preferred Norwich, sensible kit colour and nicer fans. I guess I've never got that defeat in 1986 when Butcher should have been sent off before they mugged us in the last minute out of my system.
Mind you the 4 3 win when we were 3 down (?) and Butcher kicked the ball out of the ground at the final whistle made up for it a little?

Mind you the 4 3 win when we were 3 down (?) and Butcher kicked the ball out of the ground at the final whistle made up for it a little?
Yep, remember that well, earlier the same season. Aldridge hat-trick LRT end.

Being a football fan my grudges are often a bit illogical. I hold the same disregard for Everton following a defeat up there when we were denied a stonewall penalty and chance for 1-1, but ref waved play on, and Lineker did, ran the bloody length of the pitch for 2-0. Even us beating them at The Manor later in the season which cost them the title didn't help make up for it.

I like Norwich for this:

The sending off was particularly enjoyable.

Back
Top Bottom