Fan's View Fan's View 20/21 - No.46 - Shrewsbury at home

Funny thing, PPG. I suppose in a sense it's the inverse of potential points per game not played (IPPPGNP) at this stage of the season; in another sense it's a load of old bullshit since factors like 'going on a run ruins interpolated numbers' (GORRIN) and the game's not played on paper come into play.

I think that was a better performance than against Crewe is as much as Shrews had some attacking potency and moreover seemed to give a shit. Their aerial defence was abominable, but we played very well - the Long, Henry Sykes link-up was worth the price of admission.

Gillingham will be a different kettle (I hope not Trevor) of fish; can we 'belie ratings and neatly nab a goal against nil*'? Those are the questions ;)

* BRANNAGAN

Funny thing, PPG. I suppose in a sense it's the inverse of potential points per game not played (IPPPGNP) at this stage of the season; in another sense it's a load of old bullshit since factors like 'going on a run ruins interpolated numbers' (GORRIN) and the game's not played on paper come into play.

I think that was a better performance than against Crewe is as much as Shrews had some attacking potency and moreover seemed to give a s**t. Their aerial defence was abominable, but we played very well - the Long, Henry Sykes link-up was worth the price of admission.

Gillingham will be a different kettle (I hope not Trevor) of fish; can we 'belie ratings and neatly nab a goal against nil*'? Those are the questions ;)

* BRANNAGAN
Lock down has been hard on you @Paul Cannell , I can tell. Still chin up I hear that Primark* is open again.

* I've no idea what a 'Primark' is but, apparently some folk are very excited about going.

Lock down has been hard on you @Paul Cannell , I can tell. Still chin up I hear that Primark* is open again.

* I've no idea what a 'Primark' is but, apparently some folk are very excited about going.

People were queueing for the local Library so can't blame PC if he wants to go to Primark. :)

Good read as usual Paul.
Regarding Sam Long , as you say he has improved massively as a player (from an attacking perspective- he was always good defensively)
I read an article where it suggested that KR and the coaching team had said to Sam that if he wanted to become a first team right back he had to go away and improve his attacking play.
4 goals and 4 assists is testament to the improvement.
Great credit to Sam, KR and the coaching team

Good read as usual Paul.
Regarding Sam Long , as you say he has improved massively as a player (from an attacking perspective- he was always good defensively)
I read an article where it suggested that KR and the coaching team had said to Sam that if he wanted to become a first team right back he had to go away and improve his attacking play.
4 goals and 4 assists is testament to the improvement.
Great credit to Sam, KR and the coaching team
“Go away and improve....” Is that what you mean?

“Go away and improve....” Is that what you mean?
I would imagine that it was a little nuanced and detailed that that.
Sam Long himself said this and from the results whatever was said seems to have worked very well.

It would be interesting to see the quote, odd way to train a player 'go away and improve'. Perhaps you're mistaken.

It would be interesting to see the quote, odd way to train a player 'go away and improve'. Perhaps you're mistaken.
I once told my nephew to go away and clean my car. Then when one of my neighbours said how shiny my car looked I took all the credit and kissed his wife.

It was in January 2019 that Sam Long apparently went to Robinson and demanded to get a chance or to be allowed a loan deal elsewhere to get first team football. Robinson assured him that he had a future and liked that he was showing a bit of fight. I think it was then against Blackpool that he was given a chance to replace Hanson and had a great final third of the season. Cadden joined and Long was 2nd choice again but could see what Robinson wanted in his right back and worked hard at his game in the opposition half. It's rare to see a player in their mid 20's work so hard to change the way they play, but we've now got a very good player on our hands and a potential future captain. As others have said, a real lesson to young players coming into the game that talent AND hardwork are needed to make it in the game.

Back
Top Bottom