Fan's View Fan's View 20/21 - No.23 - Wimbledon at home

Agree on the goal celebrations. It does seem back to normal in that regard yet clubs (mostly anyway and ours appears to do based on club comments) maintain social distancing where possible elsewhere on a day to day basis.

Also agreed on James Henry clearing off the line, it won't show in his goals column but that should show as +2 goals somewhere.

@Paul B thanks for another good read and compliments of the season to you and your family.

As an 1893 club member, along with Mrs Lounger, we have had to suffer the consequences of being given tickets for all the limited attendance games (not the trial versus Hull nor the FGR game for which we had to apply like anyone else.) We did not receive any kind of promise of preferential treatment when paying for our season tickets. We were given a discount on the normal renewal as it was clear that access to the lounge, bar and other corporate areas would not be available. The price we paid was £575.00 each. Last season we renewed at a cost of £675.50 each. Like you, we also donated the offered refund and the cost of two tickets to the Wycombe game. Like you, and everyone else, we renewed not knowing if we would see a single game at the ground.

I have said this before and will keep repeating, we did not ask for preferential treatment, we did not expect it and were surprised that we were the recipients of this "favouritism".
What we did get was a flow of stupid and inane remarks on this forum. We also had Jerome Sale insinuating that we were not "dyed in the wool supporters" live, on air. Comments from Steve Kinniburgh also displayed a poor grasp of matters relating to the general corporate side of the club when discussing the decision to allocate tickets. (He actually thinks the club makes a profit from catering and the bars)
On attending the Northampton game other 1893 seat holders who read this forum told me how much they appreciated my comments on here in attempting to put things straight, like myself and Mrs Lounger they were horrified at the perception displayed by other supporters.

What I also noted at the Northampton game were the empty seats among the 1893 club seats, if there were 146 1893 club season ticket holders present then they were not sitting in their seats. (146 is the actual total of renewals as quoted by Niall McWilliams.) We are fairly sure that quite a few sitting in that area were not 1893 holders. I believe it could be taken that some of those allocated benefitted from returned tickets. As I have mentioned elsewhere, quite a few 1893 members would have been prevented from attending through health, age and disability. - the very reasons why they prefer to opt for the more expensive seats not, as some have suggested, because they are toffs with more money than sense.

We, Mrs Lounger and myself, also thought it a telling factor that the club could not sell tickets for the Pizza pot trophy game despite the outcry from many about not getting to a game. We paid up our £10.00 each and went, the opportunity to see live football and to watch OUFC being the attraction regardless of the competition. And, why did only 60% of season ticket holders apply for tickets in the ballot? Happy to accept that not everyone would be able to attend but 60% still seems a figure on the low side.

As an OxVox life member (along with Mrs Lounger) we assisted with comments to the report presented to the club regarding this matter and were pleased that the club made some clarification later with an article on the club website. It has not completely mitigated the decision nor did it explain fully but we had hoped that it had drawn a line under the situation. And now, none of us get to attend and it becomes academic.

@Paul B thanks for another good read and compliments of the season to you and your family.

As an 1893 club member, along with Mrs Lounger, we have had to suffer the consequences of being given tickets for all the limited attendance games (not the trial versus Hull nor the FGR game for which we had to apply like anyone else.) We did not receive any kind of promise of preferential treatment when paying for our season tickets. We were given a discount on the normal renewal as it was clear that access to the lounge, bar and other corporate areas would not be available. The price we paid was £575.00 each. Last season we renewed at a cost of £675.50 each. Like you, we also donated the offered refund and the cost of two tickets to the Wycombe game. Like you, and everyone else, we renewed not knowing if we would see a single game at the ground.

I have said this before and will keep repeating, we did not ask for preferential treatment, we did not expect it and were surprised that we were the recipients of this "favouritism".
What we did get was a flow of stupid and inane remarks on this forum. We also had Jerome Sale insinuating that we were not "dyed in the wool supporters" live, on air. Comments from Steve Kinniburgh also displayed a poor grasp of matters relating to the general corporate side of the club when discussing the decision to allocate tickets. (He actually thinks the club makes a profit from catering and the bars)
On attending the Northampton game other 1893 seat holders who read this forum told me how much they appreciated my comments on here in attempting to put things straight, like myself and Mrs Lounger they were horrified at the perception displayed by other supporters.

What I also noted at the Northampton game were the empty seats among the 1893 club seats, if there were 146 1893 club season ticket holders present then they were not sitting in their seats. (146 is the actual total of renewals as quoted by Niall McWilliams.) We are fairly sure that quite a few sitting in that area were not 1893 holders. I believe it could be taken that some of those allocated benefitted from returned tickets. As I have mentioned elsewhere, quite a few 1893 members would have been prevented from attending through health, age and disability. - the very reasons why they prefer to opt for the more expensive seats not, as some have suggested, because they are toffs with more money than sense.

We, Mrs Lounger and myself, also thought it a telling factor that the club could not sell tickets for the Pizza pot trophy game despite the outcry from many about not getting to a game. We paid up our £10.00 each and went, the opportunity to see live football and to watch OUFC being the attraction regardless of the competition. And, why did only 60% of season ticket holders apply for tickets in the ballot? Happy to accept that not everyone would be able to attend but 60% still seems a figure on the low side.

As an OxVox life member (along with Mrs Lounger) we assisted with comments to the report presented to the club regarding this matter and were pleased that the club made some clarification later with an article on the club website. It has not completely mitigated the decision nor did it explain fully but we had hoped that it had drawn a line under the situation. And now, none of us get to attend and it becomes academic.

I have a vague notion that 50 was the number of 1893 members who actually went to the Northampton game but could be wrong.

Great to have a positive result but, as you suggest, a number of things which need to be improved. We are certainly not promotion contenders on this performance (thank goodness the visitors were only mid-table and on a poor run of form).
KR continues to be inflexible- and somewhat stubborn - in his approach and in his tactics. He wants to play 4-2-3-1 and that’s what he’s going to do. Whatever the players he has available or the form they are in. The reluctance to replace a right back and a goalkeeper clearly out of form earlier in the season has cost us a bucket-load of points. I almost think he is sometimes just being deliberately contrary, rather than admit to misjudgments. I fear the same with Ruffels; it’s clear we will need a new left back (as well as centre back) soon to give us more solidity. But, as we all know, the priority in January will be to add more midfielders to a department where we already have plenty of talent. I love KR’s enthusiasm and his passion for the club, but boy is he frustrating!

Thanks for these comments and some hitherto missing information. Just like to reiterate that "I don’t blame the men and women who pay a couple of hundred quid (my guess) extra."
What I don't get is the logic when it has pissed off many people. That's down to the club to answer if they want to.
Anyway at the moment we'd all settle for 1 in 3 wouldn't we.

Thanks for these comments and some hitherto missing information. Just like to reiterate that "I don’t blame the men and women who pay a couple of hundred quid (my guess) extra."
What I don't get is the logic when it has pissed off many people. That's down to the club to answer if they want to.
Anyway at the moment we'd all settle for 1 in 3 wouldn't we.
I hold a theory that because the 1893 club is considered a part of the "Corporate" attendance we get dealt with as such. I believe ( I have no proof of this) that to facilitate the catering and staffing of the corporate clientele and to get the best return for the small fortune paid to Stadco (AKA Kassam) the tea/coffee provision for the 1893 club is "lumped" in with the general catering bill. Putting us in with all the others who frequent the bar and lounge area also makes it easier to manage numbers. Looking after the sponsors, boxes, guests of the club and the officials entourage along with visiting Directors etc. is something of a headache for the club. Certainly on match days it is not uncommon to see Rosie scurrying from one end of the club to another ably assisted by Adam Harris. Both lovely people ( watch out for Rosie's barbed comments if you upset him) and both always trying to please everyone. I can well envisage the ticketing folk being asked to assign a number of tickets to "Corporate" to look after those who financially support the club throughout the season and rightly or wrongly, the 1893 tickets fell into that number. Thereafter, it seems that nobody thought about the repercussion of that decision until it became public knowledge and too late to mitigate the reaction from other season ticket holders.

I hold a theory that because the 1893 club is considered a part of the "Corporate" attendance we get dealt with as such. I believe ( I have no proof of this) that to facilitate the catering and staffing of the corporate clientele and to get the best return for the small fortune paid to Stadco (AKA Kassam) the tea/coffee provision for the 1893 club is "lumped" in with the general catering bill. Putting us in with all the others who frequent the bar and lounge area also makes it easier to manage numbers. Looking after the sponsors, boxes, guests of the club and the officials entourage along with visiting Directors etc. is something of a headache for the club. Certainly on match days it is not uncommon to see Rosie scurrying from one end of the club to another ably assisted by Adam Harris. Both lovely people ( watch out for Rosie's barbed comments if you upset him) and both always trying to please everyone. I can well envisage the ticketing folk being asked to assign a number of tickets to "Corporate" to look after those who financially support the club throughout the season and rightly or wrongly, the 1893 tickets fell into that number. Thereafter, it seems that nobody thought about the repercussion of that decision until it became public knowledge and too late to mitigate the reaction from other season ticket holders.
Exactly that, which screams lack of professionalism and I think long term damage may have been done here. Hope not though, obviously. But for now there's a bit of a wedge in the eyes of some between 1893 and the rest of us. Totally unfair in my view when you never asked for any favours. For me the wedge is more between fans and club. Whatever way you look at this it is hard not to conclude a bit of a feeling of being second class citizens. Such a shame.

1893 and priority for tickets - am I alone in the "I really couldn't care less" category....

1893 and priority for tickets - am I alone in the "I really couldn't care less" category....
No. Personally I think the club have messed up the ticket allocation process, partly because of the lack of communication and partly because of a lack off planning. Unfortunately the 1893 club are an easy target.
A lot has been written about sitting in your own seat, being fair to non season ticket holders etc. Again I think it just shows frustration
All season ticket holders went into the season not expecting to see many games. In hindsight I think whatever was done would be wrong but whatever is done must be transparent to all, if you fail to do that the next renewal will become a major problem.

Not alone but it has pissed many off. Well that's the vibe I've picked up. OxVox have taken views from members and have or will be feeding it back to the club. All about loyalty and being treated as equals. Whether you personally think it is an issue or not if it does put lots of current season ticket holders off renewing next time around then that is a big issue for OUFC finances.

Not alone. Still there's been some fine forum flouncing.

May I say it's 'reined in' (like a horse) not 'reigned in' (like Louis XIV and the eighteenth century).

It’s a bit catch-22, the club needs to make all fans valued, rather than take them for granted which makes building bridges very difficult, I have to be honest enough to say that the whole way ifollow is priced is annoying, the random fan pays less than the committed fan that poor communication seems too common concerning tickets, that the EFL has it appears no idea concerning match management in last minute cancellations, all of these no doubt will have an effect on season ticket renewal

Not alone. Still there's been some fine forum flouncing.

May I say it's 'reined in' (like a horse) not 'reigned in' (like Louis XIV and the eighteenth century).
I know that so why the **** I've written what I did I have not idea nor why my proof readers missed it. Correction will be forthcoming once the Liverpool game is over. Thank you again sir.

You're allowed one uncharacteristic slip every year, mate. Long old wait for it, though.

i wonder if anyone gave a flying fig what other fans paid or benefits they got when going for promotion and in the Play Off final .strikes me a lot of this nonsense is more to do with current league position than any monetary or preferential treatment.
i find it hard to believe that someone was thinking about their future attendance based solely on perceived "unfairness"

on another point raised about once out of the habit of going etc, this is something i spoke and warned about many seasons ago, Peoples lives change for various reasons and the leisure pound is being stretched in many directions.
let's be blunt there are many ways to watch various sports of your choice without the cost of travel and attending, when people buy or bought their subscriptions to Sky etc did anyone care or even think about the fraction they had paid compared to those in attendance?

Back
Top Bottom