Fan's View Fan's View 20/21 - No.22 - Northampton at home

Nice to read the report as always.

I do hope that Clare's appearance in the second half doesn't herald another few games of that particular experiment. As always he was good going forward, but Northampton were offering so little in attack that he wasn't examined as a right back. Hopefully, Atkinson will be back on Boxing Day and Long will move to the right. I wouldn't complain if Clare appeared in the starting lineup at right midfield - not only is he an attacking threat, but he does know enough about defending to drop back if the RW is up the pitch.

And I agree with WolvercoteYellow - Kelly looked much better, the acid test will be when we come up against someone less passive than Northampton though.

"Nor can I recall any last ditch blocks..."
Clare in the second half? May very well have ended in a goal were he not awake...
That was when I'd been distracted by looking at our two players who had been substituted walking off.

Nice to read the report as always.

I do hope that Clare's appearance in the second half doesn't herald another few games of that particular experiment. As always he was good going forward, but Northampton were offering so little in attack that he wasn't examined as a right back. Hopefully, Atkinson will be back on Boxing Day and Long will move to the right. I wouldn't complain if Clare appeared in the starting lineup at right midfield - not only is he an attacking threat, but he does know enough about defending to drop back if the RW is up the pitch.

And I agree with WolvercoteYellow - Kelly looked much better, the acid test will be when we come up against someone less passive than Northampton though.
I think that acid test probably applies to many of them - can we turn those draws against the best sides into wins?

With regards Agyei, "Whether he’s got it in him to do the same in a top of the table clash when we’re a goal down or it’s a draw and we desperately need to score to keep promotion hopes alive, is another matter." Ok so granted not top of the table clash, but how about the last away game any of our fans were at? It was a similarly spectacular goal he scored at Shrewsbury and an important one at that, helping us maintain that winning run and of course ending up one game from the Championship.

With regards Agyei, "Whether he’s got it in him to do the same in a top of the table clash when we’re a goal down or it’s a draw and we desperately need to score to keep promotion hopes alive, is another matter." Ok so granted not top of the table clash, but how about the last away game any of our fans were at? It was a similarly spectacular goal he scored at Shrewsbury and an important one at that, helping us maintain that winning run and of course ending up one game from the Championship.
Good point. So long ago almost forgotten except for the Josh Ruffels goal. Perhaps I should have said whether he has got it in him to do .... consistently.

Harry Smith (1.96m) is by no means 'the tallest of men', Paul. The alleged tallest man ever was Robert Wadlow who was in fact pieced together by the evil twins Ross & Norris McWhirter from a giraffe and a merman, consequently dying as the transplant was rejected by both 'halves' at the age of 22. He was 2.72m tall. Even the tallest living man (Sultan Kösen) at a mere 2.51m towers over Harry Smith - if Liam Kelly stood on his (Harry Smith's) shoulders he (Liam Kelly) who would only reach his (Sultan Kösen's) eyebrows .

A bit more attention to veracity in future please.

It seems just as we look like we might build some momentum this season we have a game postponed
that has happened more than a few times this season, start getting going then a game is postponed so any chance of building momentum / putting a good run of results together has been confounded , in the main, but not exclusively, down to covid ( Crewe, Crewe again, Sw*nd*n- Doncaster ( international call ups), and now Bristol Rovers)

It seems just as we look like we might build some momentum this season we have a game postponed
I wonder if this delay might, for the first time, actually be to our benefit. Gives us more time to get Atkinson and Brannagan up to speed and gives the players a bit of a rest after an intense spell of matches. Also, different to earlier in the season because we have already built momentum - before, it was a case of being cut short as we were starting to build momentum.

that has happened more than a few times this season, start getting going then a game is postponed so any chance of building momentum / putting a good run of results together has been confounded , in the main, but not exclusively, down to covid ( Crewe, Crewe again, Sw*nd*n- Doncaster ( international call ups), and now Bristol Rovers)
Indeed, so frustrating.

I wonder if this delay might, for the first time, actually be to our benefit. Gives us more time to get Atkinson and Brannagan up to speed and gives the players a bit of a rest after an intense spell of matches. Also, different to earlier in the season because we have already built momentum - before, it was a case of being cut short as we were starting to build momentum.
Good point. I still think this squad should have more than enough to avoid relegation, we've played a few really poor teams this season. Swindon beat us, but they looked dire. Also signs other sides like Northampton and Burton don't have much about them.

Harry Smith (1.96m) is by no means 'the tallest of men', Paul. The alleged tallest man ever was Robert Wadlow who was in fact pieced together by the evil twins Ross & Norris McWhirter from a giraffe and a merman, consequently dying as the transplant was rejected by both 'halves' at the age of 22. He was 2.72m tall. Even the tallest living man (Sultan Kösen) at a mere 2.51m towers over Harry Smith - if Liam Kelly stood on his (Harry Smith's) shoulders he (Liam Kelly) who would only reach his (Sultan Kösen's) eyebrows .

A bit more attention to veracity in future please.
I'll try, sir.

Thank you as always Paul.
Interesting regarding Stevens. He generally looks assured, but has had the benefit of a fit Gorrin in front if the back 4 and a steady defence in front if him that seem to be getting better and better.
At Blackpool just before half time he rushed out rashly and they really should have scored. Had Eastwood been in goal, I am convinced that it would have gone in ( probably the 2 that hit the woodwork as well)
It is great to see 'one of our own' young keepers do do well but there are inevitably going to be much tougher tests to come.

At half time I thought surely, it has to be Anthony Forde at right back (SL to CH) I was still moaning, when we scored the first goal, about Clare coming on as RB, a defensive calamity waiting to happen, thinking well we are not going to win this now, what is KR thinking etc.
Has Anthony Forde upset KR? I really rate AF, good footballer, can play in a few positions, great dead ball taker, appears to understand the game. A solid average-good League 1 player that is perfect for a club like Oxford on a long term basis. Not a super star that will be sold, but just a solid member of a squad. It would be a shame if he decides to move on at end of his two year contract.

Back
Top Bottom