Fan's View Fan's View 20/21 No.17 - Pompey away

Good work as always Paul. I think you are being a bit harsh on Agyei he never gets a decent run in the team and did many good things today. Shodipo after a bright start got frustrated and faded but he could come good. Clare showed what he can do I think as a front three they could gel into a very exciting unit. And the defence so much better Atkinson looks like he could slalom through an entire team and score a worldy .

Another fine read, thanks Paul. Nice to enjoy the game all over again.
Some others commented that Shodipo was ineffective and even that he didn't try enough but, like you, I thought he fought hard in the midst of being battered to bits, often with two or three defenders on him.

Strikes me that one of the reasons that players like Shodipo go out on loan, particularly to our level is to gain experience of just what the lad experienced yesterday evening - a battering at the hands of experienced defenders. Old fashioned hands on, full blooded football. If they can learn to take a few knocks and find a way to turn those knocks to their advantage and how to spot the challenges coming, they will shine. I just hope that this lad learns quickly!

Top Fv @Paul B

Agree with @Manorlounger re Shopido, would add maybe longer studs couldve been a better choice

I thought Dan Agyei did a decentish job often on his own up top

Top Fv @Paul B

Agree with @Manorlounger re Shopido, would add maybe longer studs couldve been a better choice

I thought Dan Agyei did a decentish job often on his own up top
Same here, if we are to be without Winnall for several weeks, then we have a decent substitute in Agyei. He has some upper body strength and will draw those fouls in the box as per yesterday.

Glad people have faith in Agyei and also Shodipo too. Whenever I write anything critical I nearly always think am I being rather harsh here. But I can only put down what I think.
With Agyei yes I am perhaps being unfair. It is a thankless task up front on your own against most L1 defences. Matty T knows that. That Agyei hasn't played much is probably largely down to him not being deemed quite good enough. He's been here long enough now for me to be a bit disappointed. Still only 23 though so perhaps there is time to develop and becoming a genuine L1 level threat although I wouldn't put any money on it.
Shodipo is also 23 - hope he learns quickly enough for us to get real benefit from his time with us on loan and that it's not just QPR who reap any rewards. At present I can't see him as ever regularly getting into the QPR first team 18.

Thanks for the report, when the penalty was firmly first thought was who's left to take it, pleasantly surprised how well gorrin took it, from the radio commentary it seemed to a hard flight justifiable point,

Glad people have faith in Agyei and also Shodipo too. Whenever I write anything critical I nearly always think am I being rather harsh here. But I can only put down what I think.
With Agyei yes I am perhaps being unfair. It is a thankless task up front on your own against most L1 defences. Matty T knows that. That Agyei hasn't played much is probably largely down to him not being deemed quite good enough. He's been here long enough now for me to be a bit disappointed. Still only 23 though so perhaps there is time to develop and becoming a genuine L1 level threat although I wouldn't put any money on it.
Shodipo is also 23 - hope he learns quickly enough for us to get real benefit from his time with us on loan and that it's not just QPR who reap any rewards. At present I can't see him as ever regularly getting into the QPR first team 18.
Agyei is one of those players who seems to totally divide opinion for some reason.
I am with you in so far as overall I have been frustrated/ disappointed with him and I thought he did OK at best yesterday (I appreciate that some seem to think that he was excellent)
He and Shodipo really have to start being far more consistent to really make it although both add something if we are chasing the game in the last 20 minutes.

Agyei is one of those players who seems to totally divide opinion for some reason.
I am with you in so far as overall I have been frustrated/ disappointed with him and I thought he did OK at best yesterday (I appreciate that some seem to think that he was excellent)
He and Shodipo really have to start being far more consistent to really make it although both add something if we are chasing the game in the last 20 minutes.

For me, Agyei has the attributes to be a very good player at this level but he can't just seem to put it together on a regular basis. He'll have moments when he does something special then nothing follows, even in games. He isn't 19/20 anymore and he really needs to push on and stake a claim by being good far more consistently.

He is big enough that he should be dominating most opposition players physically (and from the extended highlights he appears to have done so yesterday) but he doesn't do it anywhere near enough. I wish jamie Mackie's attitude had inspired him in this regard with regards the shithousery/physicality but it doesn't seem like it comes naturally to him. As said, he clearly has the attributes to be a very good regular starter in L1 for us but he needs to find a way to utilise them regularly to earn that starting spot.

Good read as usual Paul, but Gorrin was my man of the match by s country mile.

We need to be careful with Agyei because we could really regret letting him go or not giving him sufficient playing time. He’s come from Burnley where, by all accounts, they wanted to keep him and that sort of indicates his potential. He’s a bit hit and miss consistency wise but hasn’t really had a proper run yet, we often look far more dangerous when he’s out there.

Robbo seems to be trying everything to eke that bit more from him but I don't think he’s ever going to be your 7/10 week in week out footballer. He is what he is and will blow hot and cold but I’d say worth the gamble.

Back
Top Bottom