Fan's View - 19/20 - Wimbledon at home

“Fair play to Jamie Mackie for not receiving a yellow”. ?. That’s all you can say about him really. A wasted opportunity to bring on the promising young striker on the bench - Some of KR’s decisions really are strange. But what a great performance; you are right to point out the “fluidity” and the confidence is returning. But yes, as far as the league table is concerned, there is still a long way to go....

“Fair play to Jamie Mackie for not receiving a yellow”. ?. That’s all you can say about him really. A wasted opportunity to bring on the promising young striker on the bench - Some of KR’s decisions really are strange. But what a great performance; you are right to point out the “fluidity” and the confidence is returning. But yes, as far as the league table is concerned, there is still a long way to go....
I think Mackie was much more of an asset at one time than many gave him credit for. But times have changed and we've moved on.
I also think most of KR's decisions are sound but wonder, as Taylor played all 90 mins, whether he might actually start with Mackie at Ipswich.

Rotational fouling - I like that phraseology, do we need a ruling on this, bookable offence for this, definitely.
But even if the authorities drafted some legislation could the referees interpret and enforce it correctly. At the moment the refs can't cope with the basics and easy offences:-
Booking a player for kicking the ball away at a free kick
GK taking more than 6 seconds with ball in hand
Players retreating 10 yards at free kick

A "must win" game, "missing out" on play off place or auto promotion, lets put it in perspective …. One year ago, Tues 19th Feb 2019 we lost 4-2 at Accrington, Mous had a shocker, we were stuck in relegation zone, PAYE/NI going unpaid, more threatened CCJs than away wins.
Perhaps we should reflect and appreciate the progress made over the last 12 months, playing style, quality of the squad, club infrastructure and realise it was not a must win game and we continue to consolidate as a club and improve as a team ready to launch a serious promotion bid in 2020/21.
Old age has mellowed my expectations with mature realism!

Thank you Paul.
I agree on the rotational fouling which seems to be the norm against Browne. I remember Sunderland kicking him in the air last season and apparently Peterborough's treatment of him was terrible.
I see that a lot of people said after Sunderland that we just dont score. I thought some were too critical of the team after the Sunderland game. The way that we played (particularly Brannagan and Henry) made me think that we could well be on our way back. Taylor is always a key to us scoring as he is a natural goalscorer.
We need a draw minimum at Ipswich and are capable of winning. Bring it on!

A "must win" game, "missing out" on play off place or auto promotion, lets put it in perspective …. One year ago, Tues 19th Feb 2019 we lost 4-2 at Accrington, Mous had a shocker, we were stuck in relegation zone, PAYE/NI going unpaid, more threatened CCJs than away wins.
Perhaps we should reflect and appreciate the progress made over the last 12 months, playing style, quality of the squad, club infrastructure and realise it was not a must win game and we continue to consolidate as a club and improve as a team ready to launch a serious promotion bid in 2020/21.
This

Don't recall criticism of the team but some posters spent months taking the rise out of Sunderland and their fans and after they beat us and were 9pts ahead whilst we sat mid table some still kept on that we would make the play offs 100% and had nothing to fear from a side that just beat us whilst forgetting other sides up there who had beaten us also..
The problem is on here if you merely point out that 7/8 teams would need to have a blip whilst we went on a winning run you get accused of being negative or a defeatist when all you're doing is suggesting to think things through.
Tuesday was a great result and kept the season alive nothing more, There is plenty more work to be done and we cannot afford to drop many points from here on in, i still think we'll need 33 more pts and hope that those above start dropping points..
However positive you look at things we would rather have the pts than be chasing with the added pressure that comes with that.

Problem is we were in the best position to do that this season and these opportunities are not a given, we had 2 players who apparently didn't believe and come the summer we face yet another turnover and rebuild.
Given what happened in January, why would next season be different? we struggled down the bottom end partly because we keep letting players move on and making them promises of not standing in their way..
What's to say come next jan if we're fortunate to be in with a shout that the board wont again decide to cash in?

Problem is we were in the best position to do that this season and these opportunities are not a given, we had 2 players who apparently didn't believe and come the summer we face yet another turnover and rebuild.
Given what happened in January, why would next season be different? we struggled down the bottom end partly because we keep letting players move on and making them promises of not standing in their way..
What's to say come next jan if we're fortunate to be in with a shout that the board wont again decide to cash in?
Who knows what the board will say in the summer or come next January because at the end of the day it's their money and if they cut and run without another buyer coming in there is no club. If they do manage to improve the club's financial position and maintain or improve the league status that is a plus for me. If it happens whilst giving me good entertainment along the way happy days.

"Given what happened in January" & "Cut and run" - Tiger on 5 min forum today. Seems we were rather unlucky with what we were trying to do in the transfer market. Bloody Shrewsbury. I felt very positive having heard it.

Putting things into perspective is obviously sensible. But we got ourselves into such a good position then set about making a good fist of throwing it all away. Let's not forget that this is our 4th season at this level and it is about time we had a genuine crack at getting into the play-offs.
For me the Wimbledon game was a "must win" to prove that we're still in with a shout of the play-offs. Now, the manner of that win was something else. It brought back genuine belief. Until ...... ?

Back
Top Bottom