Fan's View 19/20 - Tranmere at home

Good as usual Paul.
I slightly disagree that Fosu is the only starter with genuine pace? Cadden is pretty sharp I would say.
The Tranmere supporter suggesting certain relegation based on that performance needs to look at the league table.
Bury gone
Bolton almost certs for relegation
Southend 1 point in 7
Wimbledon no wins in 8
Accrington 5 points in 7 (the same as Tranmere)
Tranmere could be in trouble but I think that avoiding relegation could be easier than for many a year.

On the sustainability thing you mention I think Exeter are as they have to be being supporter owned as I would assume Wimbledon are as well. Struggling on others though.

Also, with the foul on but given against Ruffels, it was the lino who gave it and the Ref went with him.

Last edited:
Good as usual Paul.
I slightly disagree that Fosu is the only starter with genuine pace? Cadden is pretty sharp I would say.
The Tranmere supporter suggesting certain relegation based on that performance needs to look at the league table.
Bury gone
Bolton almost certs for relegation
Southend 1 point in 7
Wimbledon no wins in 8
Accrington 5 points in 7 (the same as Tranmere)
Tranmere could be in trouble but I think that avoiding relegation could be easier than for many a year.
Way to early to write a team off but if I supported Tranmere I would feel very gloomy at the moment.
Cadden is pretty quick but I've lazily used the term "genuine pace" to mean even quicker than that.

Without having seen Wimbledon, Southend or Accrington this season it's difficult to compare - but I find it hard to believe that two of those are worse than Tranmere were for vast stretches of the game on Saturday. Early days of course (does anyone think Portsmouth will be 18th or Wycombe 3rd at the end of the season!) but if I were a Tranmere supporter I'd be very worried.

On the sustainability thing you mention I think Exeter are as they have to be being supporter owned as I would assume Wimbledon are as well. Struggling on others though.

Also, with the foul on but given against Ruffels, it was the lino who gave it and the Ref went with him.
To y/e June 2018 Exeter were £2.6m in the black. Profit on the year £2.4m. Wimbledon made a loss of half a million putting then £360k in the red.
So given the right circumstances it can be done but how far can this approach take these clubs. Not down the Bury route, obviously.

Without having seen Wimbledon, Southend or Accrington this season it's difficult to compare - but I find it hard to believe that two of those are worse than Tranmere were for vast stretches of the game on Saturday. Early days of course (does anyone think Portsmouth will be 18th or Wycombe 3rd at the end of the season!) but if I were a Tranmere supporter I'd be very worried.
Early days but the table rarely lies and we saw Tranmere on one day.
Their last two results were draws against Rotherham and Gillingham.
Southend had lost their first 6 games (and got a draw yesterday)
If I was a Trannere supporter I would think that there are other very poor teams down there and getting a draw at Rotherham means that they could do it!
At least it is only 2 down as opposed to the normal 4.

To y/e June 2018 Exeter were £2.6m in the black. Profit on the year £2.4m. Wimbledon made a loss of half a million putting then £360k in the red.
So given the right circumstances it can be done but how far can this approach take these clubs. Not down the Bury route, obviously.

Exeter with their focus on youth development will go up and down between L1 and L2 I reckon like they have since getting back into the league but then it probably is their natural level (mainly L2 with spells in L1). Wimbledon will be interesting to see when they move into their new stadium and whether it helps them develop as currently they are I would suggest at their peak for their resources as they are currently. Obviously with the caveat that with the right manager etc etc both could make the Championship. Frankly, maybe if there were more clubs like the above then the lower leagues would be in a better place long term.

As an aside, I think with football as it is now (not 80s/90s), while we should strive for the Championship were are realistically at our natural level.

As a further aside, Boreham Wood and Barnet are funded through their sports as well as Leisure/Conference/Hotel facilities so maybe as part of any development we should include these if we can.

Early days but the table rarely lies and we saw Tranmere on one day.
Their last two results were draws against Rotherham and Gillingham.
Southend had lost their first 6 games (and got a draw yesterday)
If I was a Trannere supporter I would think that there are other very poor teams down there and getting a draw at Rotherham means that they could do it!
At least it is only 2 down as opposed to the normal 4.
A friend of mine knows the AFCW Board quite well. Their priority is funding the new stadium. They know that relegation this season is quite likely

A friend of mine knows the AFCW Board quite well. Their priority is funding the new stadium. They know that relegation this season is quite likely

That is a dangerous game to play IMO. Wimbledon don't get the biggest of attendances as it is. A year fighting relegation will turn some fans away and even a brand new stadium might not bring them back.

For me it's a balancing act. We are a good example of this. Robinson has been quite open that some of the transfer money that we get should go to building the foundations of the club rather than spending it on a player that might only be here for 2 - 3 years max. This season I'd expect us to finish top half of the table and have a couple of good cup runs. For me that is a good season if the off field financial business improves along side it.

Tranmere were terrible but I would expect they have a very modest budget for League 1. It will be a case of just scrapping away and hoping for the best I suppose.

Thank you Paul. We had looked forward to watching this game on iFollow but, there is being abroad and being abroad! To have your take on the match is a good insight.
Some way to go then before we have a "team" playing out there, no surprise really, what we have seen this season so far still leaves a nagging concern. Hopefully home in time to listen to the Bolton away game and then tickets ready for West Ham.

"This makes us look like a middling L1 club at best" To be honest , we are not even that at the moment , below average would be the words!

"This makes us look like a middling L1 club at best" To be honest , we are not even that at the moment , below average would be the words!
We've currently got the 13th average highest gates in L1.
But based on performances on the pitch I am in agreement.

Back
Top Bottom