Fan's View 19/20 - Sunderland at home

Interesting that you barely mention the terrible weather. Thought both teams played excellently in the circumstances. Our style is hampered by poor pllaying conditions and is a big factor behind our current mediocre run of results . Think we will get our mojo back but will end up seventh.

Interesting that you barely mention the terrible weather. Thought both teams played excellently in the circumstances. Our style is hampered by poor pllaying conditions and is a big factor behind our current mediocre run of results . Think we will get our mojo back but will end up seventh.
But even if we regain our ‘mojo’ we’ve got to hope a few teams above us lose theirs. Won’t happen.

Good summary, as ever. Thank you.
The team seem to be almost too well drilled in possession play in the first two-thirds of the pitch. There doesn't seem to be a collective understanding of when to move the ball forwards, and we are simply too slow at doing so. Hence our tendency to lose the ball in the final third instead of swiftly building a threat.
The opposition are too well set by the time we venture forward.

Sorry, but you're wrong regarding this:

"I don’t know why Taylor, or any forward, bothers to hassle a goalkeeper who is about to clear ball from hand. It just wastes time but per se isn’t illegal as far as I know as long as they don’t barge into them or stand immediately in front of them. "

FA Law 12:

Indirect free kick

An indirect free kick is awarded if a player...
  • prevents the goalkeeper from releasing the ball from the hands or kicks or attempts to kick the ball when the goalkeeper is in the process of releasing it
Now you can argue the toss about how it's implemented, and whether Taylor actively prevented the kick, but most refs would whistle if an attacker was in any way deemed to be distracting them.

"I don’t know why Taylor, or any forward, bothers to hassle a goalkeeper who is about to clear ball from hand. It just wastes time but per se isn’t illegal as far as I know as long as they don’t barge into them or stand immediately in front of them. "

FA Law 12:

Indirect free kick

• prevents the goalkeeper from releasing the ball from the hands or kicks or attempts to kick the ball when the goalkeeper is in the process of releasing it
Now you can argue the toss about how it's implemented, and whether Taylor actively prevented the kick, but most refs would whistle if an attacker was in any way deemed to be distracting them.

Hassle is probably the wrong word but they often stand a yard or two away which i don't think is illegal. So I don't think I'm wrong. I don't think Taylor prevented the goalkeeper from releasing the ball from his hands or kicked or attempted to kick the ball when the goalkeeper was about to release it. The keeper eventually cheated by running towards Taylor is my take on it. (But I should have not been lazy and have bothered to look the law up myself).

I thought "yellow weather warnings for wind and rain with it being highly likely we won’t see much proper quality football", "hideous weather conditions" and "blowy conditions and driving precipitation" was enough Tim :) . I hope you are right about getting our mojo back.

Good report which highlights our main problem, the inability to move the ball forward with any degree of pace, playing 3 centre backs just increases the sideways movement, when the ball finally crosses the halfway line , the front players are completely marked up so they either play it back or lose possession as regards throw ins and free kicks , a waste of time for this team

Top report as always @Paul B ....I thought when Agyei was replaced by Browne ,the edge seemed to be blunted on our( rare )attacking moves....Browne seemed to be not fully recovered from his ankle injury

But even if we regain our ‘mojo’ we’ve got to hope a few teams above us lose theirs. Won’t happen.
Yes it will. There is no way that all of the teams above us will not have a dip in form between now and the end of the season. We do need to rediscover our pre-Christmas form, and quickly, but if we do then we will make the play-offs, 100%. 9 or 10 points from the next 4 games would help.

All aboard the positivity bus!!

The problem with that is you have to assume that
a) we will suddenly become the team we were in November (without a vial component or two)
b) we will win at least three more matches than Portsmouth upwards
c) we will also be better than all the teams Gillingham (how did they get above us!) upwards.
So while I agree that some of the teams above us will have a dip - and some of them are in one at the moment - the chances of enough of them doing so while we go on a storming run is unlikely. Not impossible by any means, but unlikely - the side looks a bit like a flat tyre at the moment, all the air has been let out. I guess all we can do is turn up and urge them on as much as possible.

All aboard the realism bus!! ;)

a) we will suddenly become the team we were in November (without a vial component or two)
c) we will also be better than all the teams Gillingham (how did they get above us!) upwards.
So while I agree that some of the teams above us will have a dip - and some of them are in one at the moment - the chances of enough of them doing so while we go on a storming run is unlikely. Not impossible by any means, but unlikely - the side looks a bit like a flat tyre at the moment, all the air has been let out. I guess all we can do is turn up and urge them on as much as possible.

Absolutely this.

At present can't see any of these things happening. What's going to change to make a) happen? Same with b). And for that to happen Pompey have to suddenly become crap. Even c) isn't that likely. But I'm just focusing on tomorrows game for starters. If we don't win that, forget it.

Spot on Paul, and I share your frustrations/anger re; referee, was surprised Robinson actually said he had a good game. Maybe that fine has had an effect!

Why the hell a referee doesn’t warn the captain of the team effectively trying to cheat that if this time wasting activity continues then he/she will book the next player (early on in the game, not last few minutes), beats me.

I'm not in it very often but whilst I am, a bit more from the positivity bus!

Specifically re Pompey they have still got the following away games:
-Fleetwood
-Posh
-Ipswich
-Us
-Rotherham

They are also likely going to have the EFL Trophy final on their minds if they get past Exeter. Also the small matter of Arsenal at home in the FA Cup.

Our home record is decent and we have 8 of our remaining 14 fixtures at home, win 6 of those plus pompey and that would put us on 66 points, meaning we'd need 4 points from our remaining away games to probably sneak a play-off spot, as most people seem to think 70 point will be enough, 6 points or more and we'd be very unlucky to miss out. We've still got to go to Rochdale & Tranmere.

So come on, hop on, there is plenty of room on the bus at the moment it would seem.

FA Law 12:

Indirect free kick

But on Saturday, Taylor moved 5 yards to the right of the goalkeeper to enable him to kick the ball freely, the GK then moved 4 yards to be in front of Taylor. The GK still managed to have a clear kick of the ball. I was at back of JS stand directly above the incident. Total incompetence from the ref.

But on Saturday, Taylor moved 5 yards to the right of the goalkeeper to enable him to kick the ball freely, the GK then moved 4 yards to be in front of Taylor. The GK still managed to have a clear kick of the ball. I was at back of JS stand directly above the incident. Total incompetence from the ref.
It was even that bloody obvious from the back of the SSU so how the knob of a referee couldn't work that out is beyond my understanding.

-Fleetwood
-Posh
-Ipswich
-Us
-Rotherham

They are also likely going to have the EFL Trophy final on their minds if they get past Exeter. Also the small matter of Arsenal at home in the FA Cup.

Our home record is decent and we have 8 of our remaining 14 fixtures at home, win 6 of those plus pompey and that would put us on 66 points, meaning we'd need 4 points from our remaining away games to probably sneak a play-off spot, as most people seem to think 70 point will be enough, 6 points or more and we'd be very unlucky to miss out. We've still got to go to Rochdale & Tranmere.

So come on, hop on, there is plenty of room on the bus at the moment it would seem.

I have a sneaky one or two today but b****r it, I’m on!

-Fleetwood
-Posh
-Ipswich
-Us
-Rotherham

Wish I had your optimism. If we play like we did against Lincoln, West Ham etc. from here to the end of the season we would get promoted. But I can’t see any evidence that this is going to happen.

As for our home record being decent – it will not continue to be decent if we continue to play as we are. And even as it we’ve averaged 1.928571 (I love a lengthy decimal number) points per game played at the Kassam but that’s bettered by seven clubs: Portsmouth, Wycombe, Coventry, Peterborough, Sunderland, Fleetwood and Lincoln (Yes, Mapp’s team). Interestingly not Rotherham or Ipswich. The Tractor Boys have only won six of their 14 home games so far. So a chance on Saturday perhaps. Thing is though, past performance does not guarantee future performance. Good or bad.

If we play well against Wimbledon I will obviously reassess. To me well isn’t just having a lot of possession but also attacking with intent, scoring goals and being better defensively than we have been in the last few games. Easy.

Thank you for the report. Along with your positives, I'd emphasize Fordes performance, I thought he played well in what I assume is an unusual starting position for him. What I liked especially were his deliveries into the box from set-pieces or otherwise. A pity of course that no one was able to get on the end of them, unlike at Burton for our late equalizer in the previous game. Much better than anything I've seen Long deliver from open play.

Yes, agreed about the ref. being poor - again! Having checked the timing, from the injury to when Wright was substituted was over three minutes, but I just knew this ref. was not going to add say seven minutes at the end.

Back
Top Bottom