Fan's View 19/20 - Shrewsbury away

Our lack of European football through no fault of our still rankles decades later, I have no doubt that there would have been a huge away following wherever we had been drawn to , the Anglo Italian tournament was a taster , the Italians had no idea how to cope with Nigel Cassidy, god knows what they would have made of Briggs and shotten

As always, Paul, it's such a pleasure to ready your report of the game (and the pub adventures beforehand). Just one question--wasn't it Brannagan who produced that brilliant pass for Browne that led to our first goal. I thought that Gorrin had passed the ball to CB. For that vision alone I'd not have listed him as one who wasn't that influential.

Thank you Paul.
RO suggested that Brannagan and not Gorrin put the through ball for Browne to score?

As always, Paul, it's such a pleasure to ready your report of the game (and the pub adventures beforehand). Just one question--wasn't it Brannagan who produced that brilliant pass for Browne that led to our first goal. I thought that Gorrin had passed the ball to CB. For that vision alone I'd not have listed him as one who wasn't that influential.
Yes. I initially thought Gorrin then on closer inspection realised it was CB yet still wrote Gorrin. Thanks, I will correct it.

Your knee ligament sufferer went up the hill to the ground like a rocket on his Norwegian poles, poor ole agent was struggling and Tim was showing me a clean pair of heels.

Um, I thought their 23 (scored the first goal) was rather good; in a way Dickster did well to not foul him but left him with the opportunity, which he took well. Maybe playing the long game?

At 2 down I thought we could win it, when their bloke got sent off (I thought he was hard done by, too) I thought we'd win it. We won it. What it's all about - good days and that.

I'll have to get my ST back from the Farmer if this carries on :)

Thoroughly agree about Dan A. Sometimes he just looks lost and a little clueless about what to do/where to go. You feel he just needs to have a ball put at his feet, the goal pointed out, and be told to ‘run with it till you get there, and then stick it between the posts.’ I’m sure, as others have said, he’s got potential but I’m not sure at the moment how much of a ‘football brain’ he has.... Having said that, I love watching him!

Upon inspecting the replay several times, it shows that the second yellow card was given after consultation with the assistant referee on the touch line. Not just the foul but, also the continued dissent led to the foul being given more of a serious nature than first perceived. The first yellow was awarded also for dissent and so, it would appear, Mr Stockbridge was more inclined to card again following a foul when the player firstly, feigned injury, and secondly, voiced his disaproval of the decision to award a foul at all. I have no sympathy for the belief that Shrewsbury were hard done by.
Rob Dickie, first goal against, was seen to be indicating a handball by the Shrewsbury player, a view I would concur with. Not, I would add, a view held by many or even seen by either referee or assistant, that's football.
We should have maybe had 2 penalties but didn't. We did win.
At 2-0 Shrewsbury went into spoiling mode and thought they could hold out until full time, big mistake.

Upon inspecting the replay several times, it shows that the second yellow card was given after consultation with the assistant referee on the touch line. Not just the foul but, also the continued dissent led to the foul being given more of a serious nature than first perceived. The first yellow was awarded also for dissent and so, it would appear, Mr Stockbridge was more inclined to card again following a foul when the player firstly, feigned injury, and secondly, voiced his disaproval of the decision to award a foul at all. I have no sympathy for the belief that Shrewsbury were hard done by.
Rob Dickie, first goal against, was seen to be indicating a handball by the Shrewsbury player, a view I would concur with. Not, I would add, a view held by many or even seen by either referee or assistant, that's football.
We should have maybe had 2 penalties but didn't. We did win.
At 2-0 Shrewsbury went into spoiling mode and thought they could hold out until full time, big mistake.

After writing the FV I had a look on a Shrews fans forum and they’re not happy with Sam Ricketts. Generally think he puts out boring negative teams. Other than Bolton they’ve scored fewer goals than any other L1 side, just 31 in 34 games. And their games have featured the fewest goals 73 so defensively they’ve not been bad. Against us they were really pleased that he went with three up front and were being really positive until the sending off which most of them blamed the ref for. This, and then the substitutions Ricketts made making them more defensive with little outlet up front was in many of their opinions the cause of them going from 2 up to losing the game. No mention of the wind which I also thought was a factor.

And here’s a few quotes which just go to illustrate how blinkered fans of all clubs can be. I honestly can’t see any of that. I did think Rob Dickie should have been carded though but Stockbridge let a lot go early on. Of course none of them have picked up on the feigned injury or dissent.

“Oxford were the most dishonest team I can recall seeing. Petulance, appeals to the referee even when a player clearly fell over himself, the most ridiculous slow motion dive for a penalty that should have seen a card for simulation. I hope they get nowhere and we have a team to batter the hell out of them next season.”

“it felt like the ref was Oxford's twelfth man , his inconsistent decision making was a major factor in town losing.”

“Genuinely wouldn't be happy if we'd won like that. I thought Oxford's antics were cringeworthy”

This is football fans for you. Don't we just love it. Nothing like a good moan.

After writing the FV I had a look on a Shrews fans forum and they’re not happy with Sam Ricketts. Generally think he puts out boring negative teams. Other than Bolton they’ve scored fewer goals than any other L1 side, just 31 in 34 games. And their games have featured the fewest goals 73 so defensively they’ve not been bad. Against us they were really pleased that he went with three up front and were being really positive until the sending off which most of them blamed the ref for. This, and then the substitutions Ricketts made making them more defensive with little outlet up front was in many of their opinions the cause of them going from 2 up to losing the game. No mention of the wind which I also thought was a factor.

And here’s a few quotes which just go to illustrate how blinkered fans of all clubs can be. I honestly can’t see any of that. I did think Rob Dickie should have been carded though but Stockbridge let a lot go early on. Of course none of them have picked up on the feigned injury or dissent.

“Oxford were the most dishonest team I can recall seeing. Petulance, appeals to the referee even when a player clearly fell over himself, the most ridiculous slow motion dive for a penalty that should have seen a card for simulation. I hope they get nowhere and we have a team to batter the hell out of them next season.”

“it felt like the ref was Oxford's twelfth man , his inconsistent decision making was a major factor in town losing.”

“Genuinely wouldn't be happy if we'd won like that. I thought Oxford's antics were cringeworthy”

Echoed a lot of what we overheard on the way out and back to the car park. Some of it directed at us was quite vociferous others managed a reasonable conversation but, yes, Ricketts is not a popular chap in those parts!

They gave the ref dog's abuse after the red, tried to make out Holland dived when he didn't and thereafter every 50/50 was met with howls of derision if the decision didn't go their way. Thought the ref stood up to it and did fairly well in the circumstances.

Yes, I travelled in on the North Shropshire Shrews coach with my OUFC scarf in their faces. Had to endure bitter complaints about the ref all the way home!
I do think that Warnock and Colin Murray got it right on Quest about the red card: the guy had no idea that Browne was so close.
BUT...as I pointed out to the moaning Shrews fans: we came from behind to beat them at their place 2-3 last season as well, with 10 men for most of the game!

Yes, I travelled in on the North Shropshire Shrews coach my OUFC scarf in their faces. Had to endure bitter complaints about the ref all the way home!
I do think that Warnock and Colin Murray got it right on Quest about the red card: the guy had no idea that Browne was so close.
BUT...as I pointed out to the moaning Shrews fans: we came from behind to beat them at their place 2-3 last season as well, with 10 men for most of the game!

brave that, as shouldnt you have worn your OUFC scarf across your face, in the current (covid 19) climate? ;)

“Genuinely wouldn't be happy if we'd won like that. I thought Oxford's antics were cringeworthy

I'll tell you what's cringeworthy - throwing a flare onto the Anfield pitch celebrating a disallowed goal against Liverpool's U-18s ?

• React
Reactions: m
Back
Top Bottom