Fan's View 19/20 - Ipswich away

Another good read Paul. An interesting thought regarding ticket sales, just what some of us would like, being able to choose where we sit/stand!

Should definitely ask fans if the want to sit in singing section which invariably means standing area.

Should definitely ask fans if the want to sit in singing section which invariably means standing area.
It is a debate which will never go away until terraces are brought back. Seems a sensible suggestion. Sitting in the allocated seat wasn't enforced at Portman Road.

Paul, I actually thought Robinson adopted something akin to a 'Plan B' on Saturday - we seemed happy on occasion to put the ball in space behind the wingbacks, rather than trying to always play neat triangles and dominate the possession stats.

Paul, I actually thought Robinson adopted something akin to a 'Plan B' on Saturday - we seemed happy on occasion to put the ball in space behind the wingbacks, rather than trying to always play neat triangles and dominate the possession stats.
If that is so then we've got more chance of making the play-offs.

It is a debate which will never go away until terraces are brought back. Seems a sensible suggestion. Sitting in the allocated seat wasn't enforced at Portman Road.

But some fans still insist that they sit in their seat indicated on their ticket!! When you tell them that most are not sitting in their ticketed seat they respond by saying that’s not their problem!! They then shout for the steward to get fellow fans removed/moved on! This happened on Saturday and at Newcastle.

It tends to happen when the not so regular away supporters go to the away games.

For the Wembley games there was a singing section, so just think the club could nominate certain areas at away grounds as singing sections and fans can choose appropriately.

I’m sure it won’t work in some cases, but at least give it a go.

This should improve most fans experiences and hopefully generate a better away atmosphere.

But some fans still insist that they sit in their seat indicated on their ticket!! When you tell them that most are not sitting in their ticketed seat they respond by saying that’s not their problem!! They then shout for the steward to get fellow fans removed/moved on! This happened on Saturday and at Newcastle.

It tends to happen when the not so regular away supporters go to the away games.

For the Wembley games there was a singing section, so just think the club could nominate certain areas at away grounds as singing sections and fans can choose appropriately.

I’m sure it won’t work in some cases, but at least give it a go.

This should improve most fans experiences and hopefully generate a better away atmosphere.

The way to deal with that is. Say to the steward fine but insist that they then take you to your allocated seat and remove the person sat (or more likely stood in front of) in that. That person should then to the same. And on and on.
At Wycombe a few years back I asked a steward what was what. He said we had to sit in our allocated seats. As that was what I was told I thought ok, give it a go. I was told twice to ****off. I then explained to the steward what had happened and also said look this isn't going to work and can't work because there are other stewards here telling people to sit anywhere. They seemed too thick to me to understand how the two didn't sit (pun intended) together well.

The way to deal with that is. Say to the steward fine but insist that they then take you to your allocated seat and remove the person sat (or more likely stood in front of) in that. That person should then to the same. And on and on.
At Wycombe a few years back I asked a steward what was what. He said we had to sit in our allocated seats. As that was what I was told I thought ok, give it a go. I was told twice to ****off. I then explained to the steward what had happened and also said look this isn't going to work and can't work because there are other stewards here telling people to sit anywhere. They seemed too thick to me to understand how the two didn't sit (pun intended) together well.

We did what you said e.g. asked the stewards to then move the people in our seats and so on and do on, but as you say it’s like pissing in the wind as it’s a domino effect. In the end we just moved elsewhere, but why our fans insist on sitting in a seat they never even chose is beyond me.

We did what you said e.g. asked the stewards to then move the people in our seats and so on and do on, but as you say it’s like pissing in the wind as it’s a domino effect. In the end we just moved elsewhere, but why our fans insist on sitting in a seat they never even chose is beyond me.
Some seem to think they have the right to do so.

Some seem to think they have the right to do so.
As a bit of a newbie to regular away games it's been a bit confusing for me, I'm on the coaches so usually early. Most stewards just say sit where you like mate, that's what I like to hear. Others Ipswich was one told I had to sit in allocated asked why was just offered to show where allocated seat was, Portsmouth is another where they tell you to sit in allocated, MK Dons another. So I assume from what's being said in here that I should just ignore instruction and choose where I think best suits me?

As a bit of a newbie to regular away games it's been a bit confusing for me, I'm on the coaches so usually early. Most stewards just say sit where you like mate, that's what I like to hear. Others Ipswich was one told I had to sit in allocated asked why was just offered to show where allocated seat was, Portsmouth is another where they tell you to sit in allocated, MK Dons another. So I assume from what's being said in here that I should just ignore instruction and choose where I think best suits me?
Yes. Or play it by ear.

Yes. Or play it by ear.
It's is stupid you cannot choose the ticket location and the steward has been instructed to tell you something they can't enforce as the rest of the crowd arrives. Much better to do as Peterborough I think it was and print unallocated in the ticket. I think I'll ignore them where possible and let them deal with it if there is a problem. The last thing I'm looking for is a confrontation with another OUFC fan.

It's is stupid you cannot choose the ticket location and the steward has been instructed to tell you something they can't enforce as the rest of the crowd arrives. Much better to do as Peterborough I think it was and print unallocated in the ticket. I think I'll ignore them where possible and let them deal with it if there is a problem. The last thing I'm looking for is a confrontation with another OUFC fan.
And there are a few you are happy for a confrontation to happen!

I believe there is a law / rule / regulation that states if seats are unallocated a club cannot sell the full capacity of tickets for a particular area. If a specific seat is shown on each ticket then they can.

I believe there is a law / rule / regulation that states if seats are unallocated a club cannot sell the full capacity of tickets for a particular area. If a specific seat is shown on each ticket then they can.

There is.

Pedantic I know, but we had three home games in 6 days after the defeat at Ipswich in 1986. After beating Everton on the Wednesday night we lost to Forest on the Saturday - the same day that Ipswich played their last game of the season. Our last match was home to Arsenal on the Bank Holiday Monday which we won 3-0 to stay up. This is only worth mentioning because quite a few Ipswich were in the Arsenal end that day (karma for coining us at Portman Road) and the everlasting memory of Billy Hamilton's Irish jig in front of the London Road after he had smashed home the third goal. Absolute "limbs" that glorious sunny day.

Pedantic I know, but we had three home games in 6 days after the defeat at Ipswich in 1986. After beating Everton on the Wednesday night we lost to Forest on the Saturday - the same day that Ipswich played their last game of the season. Our last match was home to Arsenal on the Bank Holiday Monday which we won 3-0 to stay up. This is only worth mentioning because quite a few Ipswich were in the Arsenal end that day (karma for coining us at Portman Road) and the everlasting memory of Billy Hamilton's Irish jig in front of the London Road after he had smashed home the third goal. Absolute "limbs" that glorious sunny day.

Was an awesome day.

Back
Top Bottom