Fan's View - 19/20 - Ipswich at home

Agree with much of this though I will say the pitch surface didn’t look as bad from the Jim Smith stand as it did from your position. It clearly was worse than we could see. I think the booing was partly disappointment; many of us had travelled some distance in appalling conditions to get there and a trip home again after twenty minutes would have been disappointing in the extreme.
Yes, you’re right: Dickie’s body language has been strangely negative for three games now. Only he will know the reason, but we can probably guess. In his defence, dribbling out of his own half was not an option on that surface.
Baptiste is an interesting one; he does the showy things well but maybe not the less obvious ones you mention. It is frustrating that he doesn’t know when to pass after a successful dribble, a criticism that could also be aimed at Fosu on occasions. I can’t understand anyone suggesting Gorrin doesn’t need to play: he holds us together in midfield. Most important player of the season so far, and just gets on with the job and does it well.
We are now part of a large group of teams eyeing promotion and a couple more defeats will see us midtable. We’re off to Gillingham Saturday but not expecting too much entertainment. A 1-0 win in the current circumstances will be priceless.

Agree with much of this though I will say the pitch surface didn’t look as bad from the Jim Smith stand as it did from your position. It clearly was worse than we could see. I think the booing was partly disappointment; many of us had travelled some distance in appalling conditions to get there and a trip home again after twenty minutes would have been disappointing in the extreme.
Yes, you’re right: Dickie’s body language has been strangely negative for three games now. Only he will know the reason, but we can probably guess. In his defence, dribbling out of his own half was not an option on that surface.
Baptiste is an interesting one; he does the showy things well but maybe not the less obvious ones you mention. It is frustrating that he doesn’t know when to pass after a successful dribble, a criticism that could also be aimed at Fosu on occasions. I can’t understand anyone suggesting Gorrin doesn’t need to play: he holds us together in midfield. Most important player of the season so far, and just gets on with the job and does it well.
We are now part of a large group of teams eyeing promotion and a couple more defeats will see us midtable. We’re off to Gillingham Saturday but not expecting too much entertainment. A 1-0 win in the current circumstances will be priceless.
I did say to my wife at the time it is easy for us to think it should be called off because we only live just down the road (ish) and there are lots that have travelled a long way, especially the Tractor Boys. But as it turned out I think the ref got it totally right. Also I was told that the forecast was for more heavy rain a bit later that thankfully did not materialise.

I was in the East Stand (about half way up) and couldn't see the standing water in the middle of the pitch. However you COULD see the ball splashing and not rolling properly, so it was quite obvious that the ref needed to look at it. Those booing weren't watching closely enough! Having seen brief highlights on my local TV station (Anglia) it was quite amazing how much water there was. The ref was entirely right, made the right call and did well to get the match finished. Quite disappointing that last night was dry and virtually wind-free - I wonder what type of game we'd have seen if those had been the conditions on Tuesday? A much better one, I suspect!

Although I wasn’t one of those booing, I would also echo that you simply couldn’t see the puddles in the middle of the pitch from the East Stand.

The ref got it absolutely right.

Mouse /Moore worked ok at Rotherham IMO. Fosu, Dickie and Ruffs need a rest I think, although I did also think Dickies body language was not great. Head turned but refused? But then he has signed an extension so possibly just mentally fatigued. Ruffs still bloody tries though, that tackle first half and a shot that could won it.
Anyway a point out of a lottery so I'm ok with that.

Re Dickie there's a big difference between being willing and able to dribble into relatively open grass and doing so when an opponent is fairly close by.

Although I wasn’t one of those booing, I would also echo that you simply couldn’t see the puddles in the middle of the pitch from the East Stand.

The ref got it absolutely right.
A great example of seeing different things / not being able to see certain things depending on where you are situated in a football ground.

The Met Office forecast is far more reliable than the BBC, Paul.

• React
Reactions: m
From the south stand you could see the full amount of the rain against the lights in the North Stand, but from the Jim Smith stand we were looking out to a black sky above the fence and consequently the rain, whilst looked bad, it didn't look as bad as the photo you had in your report.
From JS stand we couldn't see the puddles on the pitch.

Will the Mous/Moore combo work?
I think we will find out at Newcastle as I think Dickie may be suspended, he was booked at Walsall and v H'pool.

No it's four bookings before suspension

From the FA website:

This Season will see the addition of Competition Specific Sanctioning for yellow cards in the following Competitions:

FA Premier League, EFL League, National League, FA Challenge Cup, EFL Cup, FA Trophy

(Please note Discipline in the EFL Trophy is Competition specific for all Discipline and remains unchanged from last season.)

Therefore, the accumulation of 5/10/15 Yellow cards in the table above apply only to League matches (and League Cup matches at Steps 2-4).

The remaining Competitions will carry suspensions in those Competitions only when a player has received 2 yellow cards in that Competition

From the FA website:

This Season will see the addition of Competition Specific Sanctioning for yellow cards in the following Competitions:

FA Premier League, EFL League, National League, FA Challenge Cup, EFL Cup, FA Trophy

(Please note Discipline in the EFL Trophy is Competition specific for all Discipline and remains unchanged from last season.)

Therefore, the accumulation of 5/10/15 Yellow cards in the table above apply only to League matches (and League Cup matches at Steps 2-4).

The remaining Competitions will carry suspensions in those Competitions only when a player has received 2 yellow cards in that Competition
So the guidance for players is wrong or misleading, anyway this one's going round and round in circles so I'll just wait till the 25th and see what happens

I’m not ready to suggest we will slip back into mid table quite yet Paul.
Our personnel is better now than at the start of the season so I think another period of good/excellent form is likely just as soon as the new guys bed in and our injury situation continues to improve..(it’s still quite a list!)
Brannigan
Henry
Forde
Woodburn
Thorne
Hanson

Back
Top Bottom