Fan's View 19/20 - FA Cup Rd 1 - Hayes & Yeading

We had 67% possession but if the figure were split into the two halves I’d wager the second session would come out quite even.

It was either 78% or 76% at half-time according to the phone of a friend, so your wager would be a winner.

Re: The parking on the corner at the country park. I drove in there but read the notices which claimed that in November, the car park gates were shut and padlocked at 4pm in November. Since that was before the match would have finished, I went elsewhere.

You were very lucky with the Minet Country Park car park Paul. We arrived early and seeing cones everywhere decided to investigate this option. Reading the signage in the car park we noticed that it was due to be closed at 16:00 throughout November and seeing the sign also indicated "locked" we decided to be cautious and went elsewhere. Coming out after the game we were somewhat displeased to see that the gate was still wide open and no sign of any "locking up" "bloody typical" I think was my response! Still, we did find parking on the opposite side of the traffic lights so no harm done.

We gambled. And came out on top. I wasn't the driver so didn't make the decision. If they had actually locked it at 4 there would have been lots of disgruntled Oxford fans. If I had been driving with my risk averse approach I would almost certainly have left my car elsewhere.

It was either 78% or 76% at half-time according to the phone of a friend, so your wager would be a winner.
77% Paul had to look as I couldn’t wonder how we were only leading 1- 0 and I thought 2nd half they clawed Some possession back

The pitch had stood up well after the torrential rain on Saturday although the linesman on the opposite side to the stand did have to run up and down a very gloopy muddy touchline. From what I remember of the old ground, apart from the two stands, it did have an oval of stepped concrete terracing which made views a bit easier. I reckon if the people who had bought seat tickets had stayed in the seats, that the ground would have fitted one person deep around the perimiter, rather than restricted views if you weren't on the barrier. I had some 6ft guy keep putting his arm up to shield the sun, blocking my view of half the pitch. It reminded me a bit of Barnet's new ground, and I guess if they ever need to expand putting up new temporary terracing like Barnet had wouldn't be too difficult (I think that has gone to Exeter away terrace now?)

This did also remind me of AFC Sudbury away for a cup game with no terrace at all and just a handful of small stands.

Also good to see that H&Y didn't play a rough game. Their team looked pretty youthful and skilful, rather than a load of journeymen old pros reduced to hacking us down.

Back
Top Bottom