Fan's View - 19/20 - FA Cup 4th Rd replay - Newcastle at home

Good report Paul. Captured what I believe many of us were thinking after the second goal went in. Hey ho, that's that then, never mind, good money for the club and we had a weekend away in Newcastle. - And then, Woo hoo!! we could win this! Next year, maybe?

As to that foul on Browne, I still hold that he was fouled, Shearer was categorical that it wasn't, other lad was just stronger. I'm not convinced, the position of the leg and body left me thinking he had deliberately stepped across Browne with his full weight and that he did so knowing he would push Browne away and over. Yes, he was stronger but through leverage not physicality.
As Keown said in the commentary (watched it all yesterday - apart from the winning goal!) "no VAR to worry about" would like to have seen that decision reviewed!

I think referees know Browne goes down easily and that counts against him in these cases. Foul ?? 50:50.
We will win at Peterborough and it’s rare for me to be optimistic.

I think referees know Browne goes down easily and that counts against him in these cases. Foul ?? 50:50.
We will win at Peterborough and it’s rare for me to be optimistic.
If we win at Peterborough it will be a fantastic result and will give us a real chance.

Thanks, Paul, as always. Only able to watch online, but my views and feelings were very similar to yours (though I wasn't that optimistic about Kelly's free kick going in). As for "the foul" I think it could have been given (though not by this ref) but at the time didn't think that it was much of a foul, if one at all. Of course, after Newcastle scored immediately after I because convinced that it absolutely was a foul (completely objective opininon, clearly).

My problem with the browne foul/non foul was that there were several free kicks given afterwards for the same contact or less.I think that wouldve been given 8 or 9 times out of 10 normally.

Good read again. Liam Kelly would seem to fit into the OUFC criteria for career rejuvenation. Hope we can make him our own player in the summer, of course if he does too well for us Feyenord may keep him.

As Keown said in the commentary (watched it all yesterday - apart from the winning goal!) "no VAR to worry about" would like to have seen that decision reviewed!

No,no,no. Sorry VAR has absolutely no place in the game.

The only reason they want VAR is that there is a lot of £££££`s riding on a fallible human`s decision!

VAR suits Cricket & Rugby because they are slower games with natural opportunities to review decisions.

Imagine........................... Holland`s goal hitting the net in the 93rd minute the crowd go wild ...................................................... and it gets chalked off for a bit of a shove in the box that made no difference to the end result.

The day VAR arrives at our games is the day I give it up.

No,no,no. Sorry VAR has absolutely no place in the game.

The only reason they want VAR is that there is a lot of £££££`s riding on a fallible human`s decision!

VAR suits Cricket & Rugby because they are slower games with natural opportunities to review decisions.

Imagine........................... Holland`s goal hitting the net in the 93rd minute the crowd go wild ...................................................... and it gets chalked off for a bit of a shove in the box that made no difference to the end result.

The day VAR arrives at our games is the day I give it up.
I think VAR does have a place in the game but has to be used very differently to how it is being used now. Some delays are ludicrous. But if the VAR spots something important / vital (and there's obviously a debate as to what constitutes such a thing) that the on field ref has missed they should be in their ear immediately. Fan's moan like mad when blatant errors are not spotted. Handballs leading up to goal, offsides etc. There are I believe fewer mistakes now that we have VAR. Another problem is that we have a human being the VAR hence still getting mistakes. And of course people still see and interpret the same incident very differently. I don't think VAR is going away. Nor the debate.

Back
Top Bottom