Fan's View 19/20 - Burton away

Thanks Paul. We didn't go this season despite having pencilled this fixture into our calendar. Fate had other thoughts. Like JM we had a bereavement, not totally unexpected but still a surprise. Anyway, we saw this as a chance to work off some of the sadness and watch the boys put Burton to the sword. Well, that worked out well.
Saturday will see us in our usual seats and expectant of, well, something I suppose. Who knows how things will turn out. Maybe the weather will be so bad as to postpone the game and we can all relax and let the physios etc do their thing. Not overly confident that we can get the result needed.

Good write up, did anyone else notice when play had stopped think Kelly, that Taylor spoke to Easty where he wanted the ball from goal kicks ? And what followed ball straight to Taylor who miss controlled resulting in Burtons goal. Just an observation.

Good write up, did anyone else notice when play had stopped think Kelly, that Taylor spoke to Easty where he wanted the ball from goal kicks ? And what followed ball straight to Taylor who miss controlled resulting in Burtons goal. Just an observation.
I'd not spotted that. You must have a keener eye than me.

Good write up as ever, I`ve been colder though! Notably Barnsley away, a long while ago and at Hull (Boothferry) which IIRC was horizontal sleet off the North Sea and about 40 of us huddled under the only bit of shelter like Emperor Penguins on a nature programme. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

The coldest I’ve been was at Port Vale (old ground) in the late 80s standing on the open terrace with my five year old, while everyone else was in the pub keeping warm. The guy next to me was turning blue with the cold. I even wrote an article about it for the old Raging Bull fanzine.

The coldest I’ve been was at Port Vale (old ground) in the late 80s standing on the open terrace with my five year old, while everyone else was in the pub keeping warm. The guy next to me was turning blue with the cold. I even wrote an article about it for the old Raging Bull fanzine.
Probably in the archives somewhere.

Away at Histon in the Conf for me. I couldn't feel my feet after about 20 minutes, and the cold just seeped up my legs... Makes me shiver thinking about it even now!

Cold is relative though.

I went to Exeter away a couple of years ago (evening game, can’t remember when but it wasn’t summer) only had a tshirt, thin jacket and trousers on... I’ve never been so cold in my life, thought I was going to have to leave or die... managed to stick it out though! Think Jordan Bowery may have scored

Further to Boothferry, it was when the away end was the overhang from a supermarket.
Just stole this from the web for younger viewers!
1581596083721.png

Cold is relative though.

I went to Exeter away a couple of years ago (evening game, can’t remember when but it wasn’t summer) only had a tshirt, thin jacket and trousers on...
Yes, I think we've all been caught out like that a few times - not least at Grenoble Road, where it sometimes seems to have its own Arctic micro-climate. The thing about Histon was that I knew it was going to be cold, so I had Martens, two pairs of socks, long johns, thick jeans and multiple layers on the top half plus gloves, scarf and hat. Didn't help!

Further to Boothferry, it was when the away end was the overhang from a supermarket.
View attachment 2915
The one and only time I went to Boothferry it wasn't cold but there were just as many Sunderland fans there as there were Oxford cos David Rush was playing for us. Oh, and it was the game when they brought on the sub goalie as an outfield player and in typical f*****g Oxford fashion, he scored.

I remember being f*****g cold on a Tuesday night in Woking some years ago.

Notts County is always cold. It can be a heatwave everywhere else but it will be freezing there.

View attachment 2915
Ah, memory of Hull away in 1983/84, Tuesday night in late February, we won 1-0 with a Mick Vintner goal.
We played 3 away games, Hull, Bradford, Sheffield United in 7 days on our march to the Div 3 title.

Ah, memory of Hull away in 1983/84, Tuesday night in late February, we won 1-0 with a Mick Vintner goal.
We played 3 away games, Hull, Bradford, Sheffield United in 7 days on our march to the Div 3 title.
Remember those three. Was at them all. We won at Sheff Utd but think we drew 2-2 at Bradford.

Coldest I remember Fulham away. I think Jeremy Charles made his debut, it was a night game other games were called off

Pretty sure I have been at each of these games people are quoting as their coldest. I still vote for Gateshead though.

Back
Top Bottom