Fans Forum on Good Friday

For me the problem with the forum was that the fans were not organised in their questioning It would be good next time if we submit our questions to oxvox in advance. A Representative of oxvox can make sure these questions (or the top 5 as voted for by the members) are all asked an answered in the first part of the forum. Then we can go to open floor questions in the second part. Its a fans forum so its up to us to get organised and make the most out of the time, after all the owner/manager are just there to answer whatever we throw at them so a bit of management on our side would make it more effective.

For me the problem with the forum was that the fans were not organised in their questioning It would be good next time if we submit our questions to oxvox in advance. A Representative of oxvox can make sure these questions (or the top 5 as voted for by the members) are all asked an answered in the first part of the forum. Then we can go to open floor questions in the second part. Its a fans forum so its up to us to get organised and make the most out of the time, after all the owner/manager are just there to answer whatever we throw at them so a bit of management on our side would make it more effective.

Yet there was plenty of time to ask any questions u liked. Didn’t need organising. If people wanted a question answered then they should have put their hand up, plenty of occasions where there was only sarge’s arm in the air.

Somebody posted a guide to international business etiquette on this forum a while back - apparently challenging Thai's in front of a room full of others is considered something of a cultural faux-pas so you are probably a marked man.

But fairplay to you for a asking a meaningful and searching question!

Oh I'm a marked man already I'm well aware of that.

I'm "bloody annoying" "not doing myself or my involvement with organisations I work with any favours by discussing and bringing up topics in public" ..... but then that comment didnt come from OUFC but certain sports operators in the City...

Frankly, any body who tells me that "this isnt for public discussion" when I'm acting as a fan/supporter or guardian for something that's for the people , well they can go screw themselves :)

I know there's etiquette but there's also openess and I'm not accusing OUFC of anything here, they know how I work.

Once FOUL, always FOUL ;-)

Yet there was plenty of time to ask any questions u liked. Didn’t need organising. If people wanted a question answered then they should have put their hand up, plenty of occasions where there was only sarge’s arm in the air.

Yes fair enough, i guess some people would prefer a spokesperson for them though as they are not comfortable speaking out in that environment, hence why only sarge had his hand in the air at times! Like on Question Time when some people write down their question and read it out even though they know it off by heart they still need help in public situations.

Theres many reasons against holding a fans forum,arranged at short notice a) before a match & b) limited to just 60 mins, c) on a public and religious holiday with limited public transport at silly o clock in the morning.. . Your suggestions are reasonable ones, however, fans forums ought to be held on non matchdays &preferably of an evening which would allow 2 hours for your suggested format...Plus a half hour informal session after the official fans forum.....perhaps it'd be worth raising at ox vox agm 28th April @AscotYellow ?

Not sure if it's been mentioned but Eales was at the Wild Pig (Brooklands Hotel) before the Shrewsbury match, and before any smart alec pops up, no he wasn't behind the bar pouring pints with free snacks.

Anyway, it's interesting that he's still there at away games and in the away fans pre-match pub too, presumably representing the club at board level if Tiger isn't there / being a bit of a buffer between Tiger and the away directors? Or just trying to keep a watch on his remaining investment in the club?

Not sure if it's been mentioned but Eales was at the Wild Pig (Brooklands Hotel) before the Shrewsbury match, and before any smart alec pops up, no he wasn't behind the bar pouring pints with free snacks.

Anyway, it's interesting that he's still there at away games and in the away fans pre-match pub too, presumably representing the club at board level if Tiger isn't there / being a bit of a buffer between Tiger and the away directors? Or just trying to keep a watch on his remaining investment in the club?

This is the bit that doesn’t add up with Charlie’s points. If the nasty Darryl has all along been looking at just getting the most from his investment, selling to the highest bidder and stripping £11m (still no confirmation on that question) then surely he would just fade into the background. Avoid having to answer fans questions or explain himself. Yet here he is, backing the new majority shareholder, putting himself up to answer questions at a fans forum he didn’t need to attended, and admitting that ultimately this season has been a disaster and that stops with him.

Theres many reasons against holding a fans forum,arranged at short notice a) before a match & b) limited to just 60 mins, c) on a public and religious holiday with limited public transport at silly o clock in the morning.. . Your suggestions are reasonable ones, however, fans forums ought to be held on non matchdays &preferably of an evening which would allow 2 hours for your suggested format...Plus a half hour informal session after the official fans forum.....perhaps it'd be worth raising at ox vox agm 28th April @AscotYellow ?

I agree on a few of these, but the forum was packed - at times the club were struggling to find anyone to ask any questions. You can never get the perfect day or time for these. I struggle with evenings.

You keep mentioning the time of day and pre match sarge that makes it difficult for fans to attend but fans were able to ask questions even if they weren’t in attendance however no one took that opportunity.

At the end of the day I think we need to accept that we have a small section of the fan base who are only happy if they are knocking the club no matter what or looking for negatives. Me personally don’t understand why if you constantly moaned about your hobbie that you’d carry on with that hobbie but each to their own.

I don’t put you in that group of moaning fans btw Sarge. Although I’m sure you do like a good moan from time to time :)

You keep mentioning the time of day and pre match sarge that makes it difficult for fans to attend but fans were able to ask questions even if they weren’t in attendance however no one took that opportunity.

At the end of the day I think we need to accept that we have a small section of the fan base who are only happy if they are knocking the club no matter what or looking for negatives. Me personally don’t understand why if you constantly moaned about your hobbie that you’d carry on with that hobbie but each to their own.

I don’t put you in that group of moaning fans btw Sarge. Although I’m sure you do like a good moan from time to time :)

How was it possible to ask questions if you weren’t in attendance?

I agree on a few of these, but the forum was packed - at times the club were struggling to find anyone to ask any questions. You can never get the perfect day or time for these. I struggle with evenings.
Understandably as it is a bit of hike from Finland ;)
I had plenty of unasked questions left ...1 hour limit sadly meant time ran out

Last edited:
How was it possible to ask questions if you weren’t in attendance?
Via people who were there! Anyone reading this forum knew Sarge and Dave T - at least - were going. Easy enough to message them and ask them to raise an issue. Not being able to attend in person is no reason for not getting a question asked.

Couldn’t get a word in edge ways [emoji6] sarge’s hand goes up more often than andy Murray in a Wimbledon final. I spoke to Niall afterwards and he was a little surprised that questioning focused on things like toilets and stewards. (All of which he’s happy to deal with if u just email the club with specifics) yet not one person asked about season tickets for next season. Which btw will be announced soon and won’t be going up. (I don’t think that was a secret[emoji87])

Couldn’t get a word in edge ways [emoji6] sarge’s hand goes up more often than andy Murray in a Wimbledon final. I spoke to Niall afterwards and he was a little surprised that questioning focused on things like toilets and stewards. (All of which he’s happy to deal with if u just email the club with specifics) yet not one person asked about season tickets for next season. Which btw will be announced soon and won’t be going up. (I don’t think that was a secret[emoji87])

Will they be coming down?!

The clubs wage budget is massive. Pep put this squad together and squanderedassive wages on has been that he has known years ago.

Couldn't compete with Wigan, Bury, Fleetwood or Scunny over the summer. But yeah, must be mahoosive.

Yes it is massive considering the squad we have.

I'm sure we have a competitive budget and the players we have to show for it represent terrible value. It highlights just how important good recruitment and squad management skills when it comes to management - something which Pep clearly lacked. I just don't buy that we have a Top 4 Budget.

Don’t u start on relegation [emoji16]. He had a poker face on for that bit, wait and see I guess

I think it’s understandable - fans wanted questions that impact their match day experience every single game, like toilets, stewards and atmosphere etc. And these are things that have been raised before, but not properly addressed in my opinion, so it shouldn’t be too much of a surprise that some fans wanted to give them a gentle reminder in public.

While on the subject of toilets, when I went to the Youth Cup Final, I entered the toilets and to my surprise my nose was greeted with a faint smell of lemon!

I don’t suppose he could have given too much detail on season tickets at that time, other than saying they’ll be on sale soon and they won’t go up (thankfully). Can’t sell something or provide too many details when they don’t know what they’re selling quite yet.

Back
Top Bottom