Fans Forum on Good Friday

The poster suggested Charlie could hardly have been worse than Eales in the last 12-18 months. This forum provides plenty of evidence of how Charlie communicates with supporters, I would take no communication over his name calling any day thanks.

I'm not saying the last year has been all good, we have regressed on and off the pitch, there are many reasons for that but we regressed after much progress, a point often forgotten by many.

Yes, but you weren’t addressing the point made about Charlie, you were disputing that things have regressed under Eales for the last 12-18 months by pointing out we played at Wembley.

Based on the fact that the team of four have only been together for 10 days and we have up to 8 games to go before we know where we will be in 18/19, what did we really expect to gleam from there first forum ?

If that’s the case then it probably wasn’t worth having one I guess.

When I replied to the posters comment about Tiger’s comments being to the point, I merely questioned as to whether they were actually to the point in terms of information, detail or even a plan e.g. when asked what the plan was for the next 5 years etc, Tiger responded about a new Puma kit!

Last edited:
SO, our former erstwhile chairman confirmed that a Top 4 Budget playing budget has been squandered this season by the Catalan.

Fair to assume Wigan, Blackburn & Rotherham have the biggest budgets despite reductions following relegation from the Championship. So on that basis, OUFC has the next biggest budget?

Seems that all of our budget got spunked on our international stars from Netherlands, Sweden and err... Curacao. Meaning that we didn't quite have enough leftover to attract the likes of Maguire (went to Bury), McAllen (Fleetwood) & Toney (Scunthorpe). Right?

SO, our former erstwhile chairman confirmed that a Top 4 Budget playing budget has been squandered this season by the Catalan.

Fair to assume Wigan, Blackburn & Rotherham have the biggest budgets despite reductions following relegation from the Championship. So on that basis, OUFC has the next biggest budget?

Seems that all of our budget got spunked on our international stars from Netherlands, Sweden and err... Curacao. Meaning that we didn't quite have enough leftover to attract the likes of Maguire (went to Bury), McAllen (Fleetwood) & Toney (Scunthorpe). Right?

Umm, wrong! Maguire went to Bury long before we signed anyone else as did McAleny (Fleetwood) who I guess you are referring to?

And what exactly was our playing budget? What did others spend? How can we be both top 4 budget and penny pinching?

KR said Maguireis past his best so no big loss especially as reports from Bury he is on 5-8k a week. I also regard our head coach as a better judge of a player than us. McAlleny wasn’t unfortunately going to stay here once a northern club was in for him

Umm, wrong! Maguire went to Bury long before we signed anyone else as did McAleny (Fleetwood) who I guess you are referring to?

And what exactly was our playing budget? What did others spend? How can we be both top 4 budget and penny pinching?

My point is that we weren't able to compete on wages against numerous other clubs over the summer.

Yet, according to DE, we had/have the 4th biggest budget on the league? Doesn't stack up to me.

Or perhaps I'm struggling to accept that we flushed so much cash down the pan on aging foreign never-beens.

• React
Reactions: m
There has understandably been a lot of focus on what questions were asked, why certain people didn't attend and ask questions they have posted on here etc. I get that and I appreciate that this was a fans forum so the emphasis should have been on us asking the questions, but I think Tiger missed a trick and it was the same trick he missed way his first press conference.

It would have been great if he could have given a short presentation detailing a little more about his strategy for taking us forward. If he is not going to present this then he needs to be more specific in some of his answers to questions raised. Apart from 'Oxford is a globally known city' and pointing out that our merchandise isn't up to scratch, what else do we know about how he intends to take us forward.

Conversely whilst KR understandably hasn't given us any snazzy presentations I feel that he has clearly outlined some of his strategies, the focus on U23 team / has always had a good number of wingers / his signalling out of Napa (indicates a push on youth etc). He has been quite explicit in some of the key things he see some so being important, and it hasn't been the usual sound bytes so you get from new managers.

Maybe more detail will come from Tiger in the coming weeks, I just feel he could have communicated more clearly in a couple of his big early opportunities and I don't think the language barrier has prevented him from doing this.

Ultimately like most I'll always ultimately judge on actions, but effective communication from the start can buy you time and get the buy in from any of your more cynical / questioning / doubting client base.

I fail to understand how a promotion, two good FA cup runs ans 2 visits to Wembley even in a tin pot cup can be called regression.
I am disappointed as anyone with the last year but at the same time find the attitude of some fans who expect owners to turn a large private fortune into a small private fortune whilst moaning that the average ticket price at the Kassam is increased to bring it in line to the division average are delusional at best.
There are people who sell a vision for our club based on nothing but meaningless words which are backed up by foundations based on dry sand.
At the same time they preach as gospel facts based on nothing more substantial than the arguments they use against others but tell us we are all fools.
Actions speak larger than words and DE delivered us a period of success whether individuals like it or not. Tiger has also acted and put in place actions to take us forward. Everyone will watch with interest what happens in the future but he deserves the chance to do it before being shot down by unsubstantiated ‘facts’.
I’m sure someone will say this is only a forum and people can express ‘opinions’ which I totally agree with but at some stage if it looks like bulls**t and smells like bulls**t then the majority of people will realise it is bulls**t.
If certain individuals become leaders of Oxvox I for one will cancel my membership as these individuals opinions do not in many manner reflect my own and reading this forum I suspect I will not be alone.

Tbh, I'm worried Chas will get Cambridge Analytica on the case regarding the forthcoming OxVox elections.

Was going to Wembley in the ex paintpot about a year ago that big of a deal? We were embarrassed in the final of a competition no one cares about. I would rather have lost to Luton and not had this shambles of a season, a day trip to Wembley wasn’t worth this.

Well f*****g ask him then - or are you going to wait for "the right time"?

What, ask him why he’s led the foundation for a calamitous season when he supposedly gave us a top 4 budget? I will let him know what for when I get the chance, but not sure he’ll want to hear it or like a few fans actually believe he has to hold any blame!

Round of applause for Darryl!

When I asked the Tax question (Which had to be mentioned) It caused a certain amount of panic in my opinion, I wasnt overly comfortable with the silence and then "don't worry about it, its just an administrative thing" answer.

The silence was telling and a bit of a surprise. You'd have surley to goodness planned for the most difficult questions, running any sort of public forum you have to try and guess worst case and plan for it.

KR did well in his bits, but we're told he excels at press and communication so it was to be expected.

Tiger - There's an underlying calmness and also passion here for sure, but I have a niggling feeling that communcation within the club is going to have tiptop with him travelling so much.

DE - Didn't expect to be there and was all very admirable with the lets all be positive and stop moaning speech but it felt a little bit defensive to me

NM - Tiger got his name wrong a few times and leaving him to be the voice for the Tax q felt a bit wrong. Talks a good game for sure, but is the power there

Fans - did we use the time to ask the right Questions, nope - first questions were a bit bland and asking about the toilets (sorry Sarge) set the tone and sucked the seriousness from the room.

Even when he admitted the mistakes, and said the blame ultimately lies with him

Yep! but I guess he did it in the best interest of the club! He tried to push the blame on Pep which I admit should shoulder some of the blame, but when I asked Pep was he going to use the money promised to bring in players with transfer fees at the previous fans forum Pep said, what money, I’d like to see it if true! So I wonder if Darryl also managed to hood wink him in under false pretences. I mean, let’s face it, I wouldn’t have thought Darryl would have wanted to pump thousands of additional pounds on a club that he was hoping to sell!

Last edited:
That is exactly what happened. Glad someone else has said as people don't believe me. Pep was lied to and was about to walk before Eales pulled the trigger.

The clubs wage budget is massive. Pep put this squad together and squanderedassive wages on has been that he has known years ago.

When I asked the Tax question (Which had to be mentioned) It caused a certain amount of panic in my opinion, I wasnt overly comfortable with the silence and then "don't worry about it, its just an administrative thing" answer.

The silence was telling and a bit of a surprise. You'd have surley to goodness planned for the most difficult questions, running any sort of public forum you have to try and guess worst case and plan for it.

Somebody posted a guide to international business etiquette on this forum a while back - apparently challenging Thai's in front of a room full of others is considered something of a cultural faux-pas so you are probably a marked man.

But fairplay to you for a asking a meaningful and searching question!

What, ask him why he’s led the foundation for a calamitous season when he supposedly gave us a top 4 budget? I will let him know what for when I get the chance, but not sure he’ll want to hear it or like a few fans actually believe he has to hold any blame!

Round of applause for Darryl!
Will you like the answer you get! more to the point why is he "going to get it", do you not think a civil question will get a more reasoned answer?
That's not defending DE, that's having a bit of courtesy for a man who has taken this club forward from where it was.

Back
Top Bottom