General Fan-led review of English football

Left Wing Cross

Various recommendations have been tabled to "protect" the game include:

• A new independent regulator to address issues that are most relevant to the risks to the game, especially financial regulation, corporate governance and ownership.
  • Greater protection for important club assets such as badges, location and colours, through a 'golden share' for supporters that provides them with veto powers.
  • Further investigation over the summer on revenue flows within the football pyramid, including 'parachute payments'.
  • Allowing clubs to operate all-weather pitches in League 2 to help with generation of revenue in lower leagues.
  • Suggestion that the English Football League (EFL) enter discussions to absorb the National League top division into the EFL structure.

Will this "save" football in England?

Some club executives seem to be losing their minds over this

Some club executives seem to be losing their minds over this
Vested interest by any chance?
10% transfer fees would really weaken English PL teams?
Exactly why there is a need for an independent regulator.

Just read that Mansfield will get around £3 million over 3 years from the PL "fund".

Wonder how much we get?

Think some of the PL executives are worried that they would lose a fortune, they need to get a grip the greedy bastards

I would argue is how does our Football pyramid differ from any of the other Big Leagues across the World? I am hardly aware of any of the leagues or teams below Serie A, La Liga, Bundesliga, etc.

I hold the view that clubs and even people should live within their means. They shouldnt have to rely on subsidies from others.

I would argue is how does our Football pyramid differ from any of the other Big Leagues across the World? I am hardly aware of any of the leagues or teams below Serie A, La Liga, Bundesliga, etc.

I hold the view that clubs and even people should live within their means. They shouldnt have to rely on subsidies from others.
Yes that’s right. Let’s start with removing the TV subsidies from the PL, which distort the whole game.

TV money.
Pay to view.
Sponsorship.
Financial support from shell companies.

They are all subsidies and, at the top end of the pyramid, far more than ticket money on the gate.

A long time ago, back in the early days of satellite TV, some wise folk said the unleashing of a torrent of money would make the rich much richer at the cost of the poor.
They also suggested that fans in stadiums would be a minor inconvenience to be "priced out" with ever-increasing ticket costs. Again replacing the poor working class with the "prawn sandwich" brigade.

They weren't far wrong.

TV money.
Pay to view.
Sponsorship.
Financial support from shell companies.

They are all subsidies and, at the top end of the pyramid, far more than ticket money on the gate.

A long time ago, back in the early days of satellite TV, some wise folk said the unleashing of a torrent of money would make the rich much richer at the cost of the poor.
They also suggested that fans in stadiums would be a minor inconvenience to be "priced out" with ever-increasing ticket costs. Again replacing the poor working class with the "prawn sandwich" brigade.

They weren't far wrong.
Oh I agree with you. Here in Asia, the EPL is by the far the biggest league in the world of any sport, it is huge. Personally I cant stand the EPL or indeed any Top Flight League/Club. So when they know I am British I am always asked which team I support (Liverpool, Man U, Arsenal) of which I proudly say I support my "local club" Oxford United.

Its very easy to blame the EPL, etc. But the demand is there. 2 billion for NBC to show EPL in the US is obscene in my view.

I believe the total figure paid for EPL right globally is around 9.2 billion of which 4.2 billion comes from abroad. Other sources of income come from abroad, so you could argue they are not subsidies, but revenue which customers are prepared to pay.

Back
Top Bottom