National News Family/friends worries?

Are you worried about the health of a family member or friend?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Northstandboy

Owner
Staff member
Hey

Do you have any friends/family members you are worried about getting Covid-19?

My nan is over 90 and until last week, still was going shopping.

Seeing her later, will advise her to not go out, but ask family to stock up for her.

We were visiting friends last weekend who are both over 70. They don't use computers, don't have a car and live more than 10 miles from a shop. They are usually well looked after by local friends and neighbours but, with the impending isolation of ALL over 70, they will be without any help.
I would hope that reassurance follows from the government that proper measures will be put in place to support all that are isolated, not just with food etc but also contact with others. It can get very lonely on one's own. This is what kills so many elderly, despair and lonliness.
Now is the time for everyone to offer help whenever you see someone in need. They will not be the ones pushing a big trolley around the supermarket, they will have a basket or just a wheeled shopping bag. I think of my Mum who passed a few weeks ago, she wouldn't have understood any of this and then to deprive her of any contact would have been unthinkable. Thankfully she will not have to go through this.

My mother in law in late 80s is staying to get forgetful , my wife has to repeatedly tell to try to restrict her jaunts outside,and the reason why,and daughter works on the nhs frontline so very concerned for her, just feel helpless to be honest as there's nothing I can do to help her

My parents are in their mid 80's.
However much they are told to self isolate, I would doubt if they will!

My mum is in her 80s and my mother-in-law just coming up to 80, and they are the ones I worry about. Both of them have all their marbles thankfully and will heed advice. Unfortunately both live much too far away from us for us to be much help, but they both have a lot of local friends. Fingers are very much crossed.

my Dad was 86 a few days ago.... despite his age he's still quite active and independent ( albeit slow motion compared to how he was even a few years ago) , he lives around the corner from my sister, who will be keeping a close(r) eye on him

I really dont see him self isolating for a few days, never mind four weeks or four months

We are at the top end our 70's in the most vulnerable group and
, touch wood, are in pretty good health. Did the usual shop on Friday and didn't buy bog rolls, pasta, rice or tinned stuff but was astounded by what was in other people's trolleys. Is there a siege coming? What are people panicking about. I am well aware of how serious this is getting and how long it could last, but really, is it really necessary to clear out the shops?
Roll on the football season.

• React
Reactions: Ian
Gran is 89 with a lot of existing health issues including heart failure, diabetes, high blood pressure and so on. She generally does pretty well living on her own in a bungalow down the road with support from me and family.

If she were to get it I think it’s fair to say she’d be a statistic pretty quickly.

We are at the top end our 70's in the most vulnerable group and
, touch wood, are in pretty good health. Did the usual shop on Friday and didn't buy bog rolls, pasta, rice or tinned stuff but was astounded by what was in other people's trolleys. Is there a siege coming? What are people panicking about. I am well aware of how serious this is getting and how long it could last, but really, is it really necessary to clear out the shops?
Roll on the football season.
Received an email this morning from the CEO of Sainsbury's (not personal just a blanket sending to all nectar card holders) He explained that the supply chain was fine, nothing to worry about and that folk should buy just what they needed, think of others etc. etc.
Just been into my local store to see empty shelves all over the place! Have to add that my local is not the most efficient at ordering or shelf filling but, still not quite the reassurance we were looking for!

Received an email this morning from the CEO of Sainsbury's (not personal just a blanket sending to all nectar card holders) He explained that the supply chain was fine, nothing to worry about and that folk should buy just what they needed, think of others etc. etc.
Just been into my local store to see empty shelves all over the place! Have to add that my local is not the most efficient at ordering or shelf filling but, still not quite the reassurance we were looking for!

Had the unfortunate luck of going out to pick stuff up for later. Gave up queuing at Heyford Hill Sainsbury’s and headed to Abingdon Tesco. Bare shelves ranging from bottled water, tinned food, pasta, baby formula, meat, frozen food etc. etc.

Came away wondering whether it’s unfortunate timing and they’ll be restocking tonight or whether demand (panic buying) is outstripping supply.

I also came away wondering whether a pandemic was such a bad thing after witnessing ‘humanity’ at its finest. Off to self isolate from supermarkets for the rest of 2020 that’s for sure!

On a slightly different part of this Covid-19 with the suspension of fixtures would it not be a great gesture by the Premier league to donate 25% of the money they get and put it towards the Lower leagues especially L1/2 due to f
The financial issues that will surround a majority of the clubs in L1/2 the championship should be relatively ok but no doubt want some help.
Now with British Airways asking the government for money for airlines due to the lack of income coming in which may affect the airlines then surely the Premiership should be asked at least by the FA to make a contribution......unfortunately I think the premiership will stick 2 fingers up and tell us to do one.

Had the unfortunate luck of going out to pick stuff up for later. Gave up queuing at Heyford Hill Sainsbury’s and headed to Abingdon Tesco. Bare shelves ranging from bottled water, tinned food, pasta, baby formula, meat, frozen food etc. etc.

Came away wondering whether it’s unfortunate timing and they’ll be restocking tonight or whether demand (panic buying) is outstripping supply.

I also came away wondering whether a pandemic was such a bad thing after witnessing ‘humanity’ at its finest. Off to self isolate from supermarkets for the rest of 2020 that’s for sure!
I went to Heyford Hill as well.
There were some young families upset / angry about the empty shelves.
The selfish attitude of some is extraordinary

I went to Heyford Hill as well.
There were some young families upset / angry about the empty shelves.
The selfish attitude of some is extraordinary
I had the same thing yesterday. The rude and aggressive attitude from a few people was very disappointing by not unsurprising to see. Far too many took too much rather than thinking about others needs over their own growing stockpile. Heaven forbid that 2 packets of dried pasta is enough per shopper - are they going to wipe their backsides with Lasagna sheets or something?

We were forced to "go shopping" on Friday as there were no delivery slots available. :rolleyes:

I hate shopping, in fact we both do, so normally only do it once a month or so ........or longer if we can get away with it.

I readied myself for full on warfare having seen videos etc on social media.
Got to Asda bought what we needed and went home in about 45 minutes, all rather disappointing. No empty shelves.
Saturday morning went to Costco for the "bulk stuff" got everything we needed the only difference there were notices about certain lines being limited to one per customer.

We were forced to "go shopping" on Friday as there were no delivery slots available. :rolleyes:

I hate shopping, in fact we both do, so normally only do it once a month or so ........or longer if we can get away with it.

I readied myself for full on warfare having seen videos etc on social media.
Got to Asda bought what we needed and went home in about 45 minutes, all rather disappointing. No empty shelves.
Saturday morning went to Costco for the "bulk stuff" got everything we needed the only difference there were notices about certain lines being limited to one per customer.

I appreciate things may change over the next days, weeks and months, but for me personally at the moment If I didn’t have access to social media and news outlets I’d barely notice that anything was amiss.

It’s almost like living in two separate worlds.

In Ireland the Iceland chain have , as from today, introduced first hour of their opening hours daily for senior citizens to shop.... be a good move if ALL UK supermarket chains adopted a similar policy?

• React
Reactions: m
In Ireland the Iceland chain have , as from today, introduced first hour of their opening hours daily for senior citizens to shop.... be a good move if ALL UK supermarket chains adopted a similar policy?
It would've been good but probably getting a bit late now as (I suspect over 70's) will be advised to self-isolate pretty soon....

I would advocate it as an ongoing policy of allowing over 70's specific times during weekdays. If nothing else, it should prevent them from unnecessarily going shopping on a weekend if they don't really need to and when much of the working population don't have a choice other than weekends ?

Back
Top Bottom