Matches Fake rivalry (wycombe)

Royalstandard74

Anyone else feeling a little dislike or maybe an irritation for wycombe, they've never bothered me before because of their irrelevance, but after the Wembley defeat, I wouldn't mind beating them Saturday.

Anyone else feeling a little dislike or maybe an irritation for wycombe, they've never bothered me before because of their irrelevance, but after the Wembley defeat, I wouldn't mind beating them Saturday.
It's a temporary but hot rivalry, based not so much on proximity and old history as recent results and their style of play. Their proximity does mean that a lot of us will know Wycombe fans, as I do.

There's no edge to our games with them. When we were in the conference with Luton I felt we had a proper rivalry with them as both sets of fans played their part. You can't do that with Wycombe because they don't really have that fire in their fans, and I don't think many Oxford fans care about them either. I want us to beat them like any other League 1 side.

There's no edge to our games with them. When we were in the conference with Luton I felt we had a proper rivalry with them as both sets of fans played their part. You can't do that with Wycombe because they don't really have that fire in their fans, and I don't think many Oxford fans care about them either. I want us to beat them like any other League 1 side.
To be honest I have a begrudging respect for Luton, their fans are "lively" to say the least, our games against them were pretty mental. Wycombe are obviously a small "family" club so it's not going to be the same.

Surely no Wycombe fans actually see us as rivals do they? I guess it has built up a bit after Wembley.

Being from Thame originally, I know more Wycombe fans than Swindon. Always been a bit of banter when we play them but, honestly, don't mind them and quite like a smaller team like that getting into the Championship. Fair play to them.

It's Slough who are their rivals.
I can remember a couple of times in my very early teens , the U's were playing away, along way away- too young to travel on me own to away games, went to the Whitehouse ground to watch City v Wycombe, both times they bought a fair sized travelling support

though, geographically, Slough makes sense .... though isnt there some long running 'beef' between them and Colchester?
something to do with a playoff final maybe?

Back
Top Bottom