+++ FACup 3rd Round 4/1/2020 OUFC V Hartlepool Utd +++

We had a comedy Grumpy old bloke in front of us sitting in the South Stand Upper just for a change. The 1st half, he actually provided the entertainment rather than the game. He clearly didn't seem to grasp how we now play the game.

I won't make the mistake of watching from there again though as I felt detached from the game. Tbf, that might be due to having watched from the East Stand, and the London Road before that, for so many years that it is just wrong for me.

By the look of things many of the SSU regulars were missing today. Certainly many unfamiliar faces around us.

I just assumed many had come across from the North Stand ??.

The quintessential game of two halves IMO.

I thought we were terrible in the first half. Sloppy, slow and uninspired. Hall was one of the few to actually look like a L1 player - Sykes did OK and Baptiste wasn't awful but generally I was wondering exactly what I was watching. Difficult to tell who were the conference team.

Second half was as different as could be. We were quicker to the ball, quicker to move it on, looking to go forwards with the ball rather than give the responsibility to a team mate. Whatever Robinson said at half time, please can he say it before kickoff next weekend! Some excellent goals, well worked chances and a couple of great individual performances made us pretty irresistible.

However, I thought Fosu was consistently pretty average (despite his goal). He really needs to take a player on sometimes when one on one rather than turning back or turning around in little circles and he was too selfish (or unaware of where his team mates were) many times. I also thought Mackie was a bit of a waste of space. He won't actually ever challenge for a wall in the air, just being content to jump into his man, and does not look likely to score - I know that's never been his strength, but I really think we need someone on the pitch to put the ball in the net. Or is that old-fashioned? Agyei looked a far better bet when he came on and I'd like Robinson to give him a run out playing centrally sometime soon. Lopez also looked lively - one to watch.

I thought Hartlepool played the game the right way, trying to play football properly rather than lumping the ball forward or hacking our players down all the time - the score flattered us a bit. And well done to a decent amount of their supporters for making the long trip and making a decent noise - they made more, more consistently than the Man City lot the other week, and well done to them for joining in with the prematch and 77th minute applause - classy. Good luck to Hartlepool and their support for the rest of the season.

The ref was (as seems so more often than not) pretty poor. Indecisive, inconsistent and missed quite a lot.

Still, job done - let's hope for a decent draw on Monday.

I hope the owners see the bigger picture in this transfer window.

If we have any ambition whatsoever, we hold all players and provide funds from TV and cup runs to bring others in to strengthen.

Any player worth £x million now will still be worth the same or even more in the summer (and be able to command better personal terms) if they continue to play as they are and we end up with a promotion winning season.

The key turning point was when Michael Raines was subbed. Hartlepool fell apart after that.

The end result flattered us, but did rather highlight the gap between us and them - the same gap that was present at times in the City cup game. I did reflect in the game at how far we have come at OUFC in the past 10 years and how none of us should take it for granted. We were Hartlepool not long ago.

Happy for Baptiste, it's like seeing a player continue to evolve in front of our eyes as he realises his talent - only his body will let him down in terms of where he can go. Moore showed some more and good to see Lopez get some game time, even if he had a moment of panic with his first shot.

It was funny seeing lots of put out people in the East Stand not sat in their usual seats - it did affect the atmosphere but the performance didn't help early doors! Onto the 4th round and another home game against Man City

By the look of things many of the SSU regulars were missing today. Certainly many unfamiliar faces around us.

I just assumed many had come across from the North Stand ??.
Yes I came across from the north and couldn't believe how many Roy Cropper's there are who frequent this stand.They had the canvas bag over their arm located at right angles and the patterned jumper peeping out underneath the anorak. I couldn't take my eyes off them...weird.The game in the first half became secondary to people watching. I will never again think anyone in the north stand are strange buds. Happy New Year fellow yellows including the 'Roys'.

Oh the second half I did take my eyes off of you (ss uppers) as the action was decent and we are into round four.

Coyy's.

For a change and the others wanted to change for a game. Won't do it again mind. Got the benefit of the comedy Grumpy old bloke though.
The grumpy old fella might also have gone for a change of seat for this one, so you could well come across him somewhere else for a league match?

The end result flattered us, but did rather highlight the gap between us and them - the same gap that was present at times in the City cup game. I did reflect in the game at how far we have come at OUFC in the past 10 years and how none of us should take it for granted. We were Hartlepool not long ago.

Happy for Baptiste, it's like seeing a player continue to evolve in front of our eyes as he realises his talent - only his body will let him down in terms of where he can go. Moore showed some more and good to see Lopez get some game time, even if he had a moment of panic with his first shot.

It was funny seeing lots of put out people in the East Stand not sat in their usual seats - it did affect the atmosphere but the performance didn't help early doors! Onto the 4th round and another home game against Man City

His first shot was a cracker, forcing a good save from their goalie. I think it was the second one, for which he got the assist, that could have been a little better!

Thought the Hartlepool fans were fantastic today. We could learn quite a bit to build an atmosphere from them or do we not care enough !

Yes I came across from the north and couldn't believe how many Roy Cropper's there are who frequent this stand.They had the canvas bag over their arm located at right angles and the patterned jumper peeping out underneath the anorak. I couldn't take my eyes off them...weird.The game in the first half became secondary to people watching. I will never again think anyone in the north stand are strange buds. Happy New Year fellow yellows including the 'Roys'.

Oh the second half I did take my eyes off of you (ss uppers) as the action was decent and we are into round four.

Coyy's.

Haha, yeah, we’re all Oxford supporters at the end of the day.

The grumpy old fella might also have gone for a change of seat for this one, so you could well come across him somewhere else for a league match?

Fortunately not in the East Stand around us. He was amusing but it would have rapidly got old for more than a game!

I remember meeting a Chesterfield fan on holiday in Kos in the summer of 2013, and us talking about the upcoming season and he was very hopeful....

....in the end they won it but didn't run away with it, and we finished 8th just outside the play offs....now they are 22nd in the National League and we're challenging at the top of League One.....

It's funny how things can change quite quickly.

The quintessential game of two halves IMO.

I thought we were terrible in the first half. Sloppy, slow and uninspired. Hall was one of the few to actually look like a L1 player - Sykes did OK and Baptiste wasn't awful but generally I was wondering exactly what I was watching. Difficult to tell who were the conference team.

Second half was as different as could be. We were quicker to the ball, quicker to move it on, looking to go forwards with the ball rather than give the responsibility to a team mate. Whatever Robinson said at half time, please can he say it before kickoff next weekend! Some excellent goals, well worked chances and a couple of great individual performances made us pretty irresistible.

However, I thought Fosu was consistently pretty average (despite his goal). He really needs to take a player on sometimes when one on one rather than turning back or turning around in little circles and he was too selfish (or unaware of where his team mates were) many times. I also thought Mackie was a bit of a waste of space. He won't actually ever challenge for a wall in the air, just being content to jump into his man, and does not look likely to score - I know that's never been his strength, but I really think we need someone on the pitch to put the ball in the net. Or is that old-fashioned? Agyei looked a far better bet when he came on and I'd like Robinson to give him a run out playing centrally sometime soon. Lopez also looked lively - one to watch.

I thought Hartlepool played the game the right way, trying to play football properly rather than lumping the ball forward or hacking our players down all the time - the score flattered us a bit. And well done to a decent amount of their supporters for making the long trip and making a decent noise - they made more, more consistently than the Man City lot the other week, and well done to them for joining in with the prematch and 77th minute applause - classy. Good luck to Hartlepool and their support for the rest of the season.

The ref was (as seems so more often than not) pretty poor. Indecisive, inconsistent and missed quite a lot.

Still, job done - let's hope for a decent draw on Monday.
So harsh

God knows what was going on for their goal. What a mess. Seemed to knock the confidence out of us for half an hour. Once again we were troubled by direct physical tactics.
Second half we sussed them and played very well. Taylor several notches in quality up from old shithouse.
As for Baptiste you rarely see players who glide through from midfield, dribble past opponents and then score wonder goals. The last player I remember doing this regularly was Gazza. Shandon could with a fair wind play for England.
Gorrin again tremendous and a shout out for Hall who had a lot more impact today.
Watched from a different angle today and we were outsung by the Poolies. Thought they were committed and spirited like their team.
COYY

Back
Top Bottom