Home Match Day Thread +++ FAC 4th Replay - OUFC v Newcastle United MDT +++

Always seen him as a "Head up" player to be honest and his link up play with Sykes is excellent (Whitehead and Hackett) when i first saw him at centre half he was always comfortable with the ball and often stepped into midfield and reminded me at the time of Rio Ferdinand and thought he would go on to better things...I think he is like many players who given time on the ball finds the pass but Newcastle had done their homework and he often found 2-3 on him and often had no outlet.
Have to agree to disagree. In my view he gives the ball away at times in games due to a lack of composure.

But if you read some of the comments on here... Long was outpaced,
Mackie was rubbish and Dickie was too slow!
Against £270 million of football talent!?
Saint Maximin was one of the quickest players I have ever seen. Seriously!

I wonder what people are thinking when they say certain players are lacking when Newcastle have spent just shy of £300 million making sure that they are considerably better.
And yet, we gave them a hell of a game.

But if you read some of the comments on here... Long was outpaced,
Mackie was rubbish and Dickie was too slow!
Against £270 million of football talent!?
Saint Maximin was one of the quickest players I have ever seen. Seriously!

I wonder what people are thinking when they say certain players are lacking when Newcastle have spent just shy of £300 million making sure that they are considerably better.
And yet, we gave them a hell of a game.

It depends how you look at it though. If we played Barcelona and only lost 2-0, giving it a right good go, I and many others would be rightly thrilled and proud of our team. However if say Mousinho was skinned for both goals and someone posted saying ‘Mousinho absolutely had Messi in his pocket, best defensive display the game has ever seen’ I would probably say no, he made some errors and was at fault for the goal.

The point is every player played well and we battered Newcastle at times, and I think deserved to at least take it to penalties - and I’m proud of every single Oxford player. However, the level of opposition or transfer fee doesn’t mean that you can’t possibly point out when someone showed a lack of pace, or if someone made a mistake - especially if others have perhaps gone over the top and said ‘wow, X player was absolutely brilliant, untouchable’ etc

I’m sorry but there is no way I’m going to criticise KR. The guys work ethic is unrivalled and some of our performances this season have been out of this league.

I didn’t think we would find another Manager to compare with Appleton, but in KR, I think we might well have.

KR knows we need another option up front. Unfortunately the Board didn’t want to rise to the challenge he set them in January. Whether that means he goes sooner rather than later is to be seen. I hope not.

Agyei looks a good prospect. However it was clear from his goal mouth indecision in extra time, that he isn’t the solution right now. Taylor is coming back from injury so time limited.

Browne looked good up front on Saturday and might well have started there last night. Unfortunately our wing options were limited with Henry having a relapse and the Board selling our other winger, after we had loaned out Hall!

That leaves Mackie.
Totally agree. Some of the criticism of KR is just unbelievable after last night and the season we are having.

I’m surprised about the praise of Dickie, he’s usually immense but I thought he looked slow last night, his lack of pace was brutally exposed at times

He’s never been the quickest, but he was exceptional last night looking very composed at times making multi million strikers look very ordinary. Thought him and Moore were fantastic e.g. Dickie with the ball at his feet and Moore being immense with no nonsense defending. Both won virtually every aerial battle.

Firstly, some real moments of individual brilliance to get us back in that game but I think ultimately it will be a blessing in disguise, just pleased it was a half decent spectacle in the end

Now for an observation on our favourite player...

I’m sorry but anyone that suggests that Mackie is anything but totally ineffective must be watching different games of football to me. When you’re playing one up top, at the very least they need to be good at one of two things, either someone who can bring balls down to the midfield running on and generally hold the ball up (especially important when playing teams “better” than you, if only to give the defence a breather and time to get their shape) or have some pace to be able to run the channels, and stretch and pull the opposition defence out of position as your midfield join the attack, they can then find those pockets of space vacated by the defender now out of position

Mackie displays neither of the above qualities, he is too slow and cumbersome to run the channels, and is really quite poor in the air, especially for someone who is by no means small, let’s also not forget he quite often fouls defenders when attempting to challenge for the ball.

Agyei I think proved to most fans at least, not only tonight, but previously, that he at least has some of the characteristics above

To suggest Mackie starts because he is a leader or experienced is also nonsense as far as I’m concerned, if the wider group of players need a 34 year old donkey, whom they’ve had to carry for most of the game, to give them a lift because they’re having a bad game then I have a couple of questions, 1. What is the purpose of Gary Bloom if not to instil some mental toughness in our younger players, 2. Has anyone heard Mousinho speak... this guy oozes class and intelligence, I have no doubt he can do all of the above on the pitch

Also, the people that say oh you need to stop “picking” on Mackie, I, and I’m sure everyone else have no issues with the guy personally... he just cannot compete in the lone striker role and there is clearly better options from multiple different players at the club
Mackie has been a great servant of football wherever he has played, but now surely this is his last season. But for you to be so belligerent to someone who could do what you can’t do on a football pitch is just wrong.

Yes I agree with you over the lone striker role that is plain and obvious.

you could have just said thanks but no thanks Mackie your days as a professional are now over but calling him a donkey, behave!

Mackie has been a great servant of football wherever he has played, but now surely this is his last season. But for you to be so belligerent to someone who could do what you can’t do on a football pitch is just wrong.

Yes I agree with you over the lone striker role that is plain and obvious.

you could have just said thanks but no thanks Mackie your days as a professional are now over but calling him a donkey, behave!
The last time I checked, the whole point of a fans forum is for a load of people who couldn't have ever hoped to play professional football to share an opinion.

And at 34 years old playing in a team of genuinely talented footballers, Mackie does indeed look like a bit of a donkey. Great for 20 minute cameos to run around up top but nothing more.

8. Unpopular opinion but Almiron , punchable face , but he didn’t dive in the area, Dickie caught him inadvertently. It wasnt cheating, ref called it correctly and it shouldn’t have been a yellow either

Even if he was clipped his reaction from it was cheating. The scream when he went down was louder than the Jim Smith Stand at the time, I've made less noise when the pain meds weren't working after major surgery. His rolling around like he was hurt but no treatment was needed. He wasn't unique in this last aspect tbf.

It wasn't the only time he went down either with no contact.

The last time I checked, the whole point of a fans forum is for a load of people who couldn't have ever hoped to play professional football to share an opinion.

And at 34 years old playing in a team of genuinely talented footballers, Mackie does indeed look like a bit of a donkey. Great for 20 minute cameos to run around up top but nothing more.
You can’t put it any other way but slag of a player. This will be Mackies last season of football and with Agyei playing like he did last night that should give KR food for thought and like most other OUFC fans would be very surprised if he started Mackie again.
Food for thought......players read these forums...turd

You can’t put it any other way but slag of a player. This will be Mackies last season of football and with Agyei playing like he did last night that should give KR food for thought and like most other OUFC fans would be very surprised if he started Mackie again.
Food for thought......players read these forums...turd
If I was Mackie reading these forums, highly, highly unlikely though that is, I'd be disappointed to know that you're retiring me to be honest... I still think I have a few years left in me!?

I’m sorry but there is no way I’m going to criticise KR. The guys work ethic is unrivalled and some of our performances this season have been out of this league.

I didn’t think we would find another Manager to compare with Appleton, but in KR, I think we might well have.

KR knows we need another option up front. Unfortunately the Board didn’t want to rise to the challenge he set them in January. Whether that means he goes sooner rather than later is to be seen. I hope not.

Agyei looks a good prospect. However it was clear from his goal mouth indecision in extra time, that he isn’t the solution right now. Taylor is coming back from injury so time limited.

Browne looked good up front on Saturday and might well have started there last night. Unfortunately our wing options were limited with Henry having a relapse and the Board selling our other winger, after we had loaned out Hall!

That leaves Mackie.
I think you have completely missed the point...

Well done Yellows last night. An amazing come back with two incredible goals.

We had them on the ropes at points for sure.

Peterborough now.

Back
Top Bottom