Home Match Day Thread +++ FAC 4th Replay - OUFC v Newcastle United MDT +++

Watched Steve Bruce on NUFC. He thinks they deserved it! he then goes on to say they need a break. FFS they’ve played 29 games, we’ve played 39 with a much smaller squad, what a snowflake.

Did they not deserve the win overall? they controlled the game and were pretty comfortable for 80 minutes, Jolinton missed an absolute sitter to put them 3 up..I would not say Bruce was wrong in his thought.

I certainly see him as a true professional who gets on with the job asked of him and works tremendously hard. I can imagine him being great for a manager to work with.

I can only recall one ball he put in last night that sailed over the bar but for the most part I felt the rest were pretty good.. Happy to be corrected.
On the whole he did pretty good last night. When I talk about composure, he sometimes just gets rid of it but with a little more composure he would find a pass.

It’s very fair to comment that Agyei’s replacement of Mackie made an enormous difference. It remains very strange that KR is so reluctant to play the young man from the start. Has he given the reason why not? It must be pretty convincing! I don’t think Mackie has worried an opposition defence for some time. A very entertaining match and disappointing not to win; however, we were outplayed for the first hour and gave them too much respect. The last twenty minutes particularly shows how we CAN play. Peterborough is massive.

I’ve not finished reading thru all the pages but why does everyone keep saying Agyei replaces Mackie? Taylor replaces Mackie and Agyei played wide right??
I also think Agyei wouldn’t have been as effective if he’d started! Looks very raw and definitely more comfortable with the ball at his feet running at defences so not really a number 9 yet

Did not sleep well , about 4 hours , l expect many of you was the same. And l am angry that we did not take it to pens , all KR had to do was close it down the last 15 minutes of the 2nd period , and then it would have been us with a great chance, we was playing a high line, when park the bus which was needed.
But still a great come back , to get there in the first place.

A broken clock is right twice a day! Happy for you to feel differently, just really cannot understand it myself

I hear you.... but I am just emphasising the blind negativity that can surround someone when in fact they do also have their moments.

FWIW, I agree I would prefer Mackie to come on late in a game to be a pain in the arsenal when seeing out a win, rather than start.

Hopefully any tiredness will be offset by confidence from having more than matched Newcastle. It took a superb individual goal to beat us in the end.
It's been said many times already but it needs repeating until KR gets over his blind spot: Mackie offers absolutely nothing and is now a liability. Our game was transformed once he was off the pitch.
I’m sorry but there is no way I’m going to criticise KR. The guys work ethic is unrivalled and some of our performances this season have been out of this league.

I didn’t think we would find another Manager to compare with Appleton, but in KR, I think we might well have.

KR knows we need another option up front. Unfortunately the Board didn’t want to rise to the challenge he set them in January. Whether that means he goes sooner rather than later is to be seen. I hope not.

Agyei looks a good prospect. However it was clear from his goal mouth indecision in extra time, that he isn’t the solution right now. Taylor is coming back from injury so time limited.

Browne looked good up front on Saturday and might well have started there last night. Unfortunately our wing options were limited with Henry having a relapse and the Board selling our other winger, after we had loaned out Hall!

That leaves Mackie.

Agyei did NOT not miss a sitter, Ritchie was on the ground covering the ball.
I was amazed when he came on with 20 minutes instead of 2 or 3, then to get an extra 30 minutes of extra time. It showed us he is capable, he is ready and he is good enough to replace Mackie. Put him in.

the problem with Agyei is that he does not have a football brain. yes, he has all of the raw attributes to be a great player (pace, power etc). His movement off the ball is generally poor. if you want an example, check out Kelly's free kick......look at matty taylor's reaction (spinning in prepared for a rebound). compare that to agyei who is like a statue next to the newcastle wall.

im actually one of Agyei's admirers. but i can completely see why he isn't getting as much game time as some believe he should be.

Immensely proud of the team performance last night. A friend of mine said “at last a proper cup tie on the TV”. I bet the BBC are pleased they choose our game over Liverpool.

A special mention for Karl Robinson and the backroom team. The team are so fit, well done Chris Short, the team are well organised with some very talented individuals.

For those supporters who were with us just for the cup run, sorry your leaving, there are however four more home matches in February to show your appreciation to the team.

On the whole he did pretty good last night. When I talk about composure, he sometimes just gets rid of it but with a little more composure he would find a pass.

Always seen him as a "Head up" player to be honest and his link up play with Sykes is excellent (Whitehead and Hackett) when i first saw him at centre half he was always comfortable with the ball and often stepped into midfield and reminded me at the time of Rio Ferdinand and thought he would go on to better things...I think he is like many players who given time on the ball finds the pass but Newcastle had done their homework and he often found 2-3 on him and often had no outlet.

Reading various forums and comments on newspaper reports there are so many mentions of us playing fantastically well for a league 1 side and more than matching Newcastle. Comments like 'Oxford would give any premiership team a game at home and 'Oxford play better than most mid table premiership teams'. 'How are Oxford in League 1' It would be an absolute travesty if we dont go up thsi season with the talent we have in at the club now and the likelihood it will all broken up in the summer if we dont go up.. Its makes it even more annoying that we sold Baptiste and Fosu. We should be in the automatics, no question.

I’m sorry but there is no way I’m going to criticise KR. The guys work ethic is unrivalled and some of our performances this season have been out of this league.

I didn’t think we would find another Manager to compare with Appleton, but in KR, I think we might well have.

KR knows we need another option up front. Unfortunately the Board didn’t want to rise to the challenge he set them in January. Whether that means he goes sooner rather than later is to be seen. I hope not.

Agyei looks a good prospect. However it was clear from his goal mouth indecision in extra time, that he isn’t the solution right now. Taylor is coming back from injury so time limited.

Browne looked good up front on Saturday and might well have started there last night. Unfortunately our wing options were limited with Henry having a relapse and the Board selling our other winger, after we had loaned out Hall!

That leaves Mackie.

was actual a good block by the scummer and in fairness he held the ball well after the block with his back to goal.

if he had the same chance as their 2nd goal do you think he would miss?

There is a decent player and Goalscorer there imho and as i said in another thread after failing to get a striker the answer may already be with us

Did they not deserve the win overall? they controlled the game and were pretty comfortable for 80 minutes, Jolinton missed an absolute sitter to put them 3 up..I would not say Bruce was wrong in his thought.
Yep, they did. Amongst the euphoria of the last 45 minutes (which was sensational) we were getting hammered. We looked vulnerable every time we were run at. Joelinton going off made a difference but our change of shape also made a big difference.

This team has a lot of heart. To say a large amount of the players on at the end were nowhere near match fit (Thorne, Kelly, Agyei, Taylor) it was a staggering effort.

Now we can switch it around and refresh it a bit for Saturday. Oh, no we cant, thanks Tiger and Zaki.

I’m surprised about the praise of Dickie, he’s usually immense but I thought he looked slow last night, his lack of pace was brutally exposed at times
Dickie was brilliant last night, god knows how many headers he won, they could see we played high up the pitch from the back and kept trying to put the ball over the top, he stopped nearly all of them.

Back
Top Bottom