FA Youth Cup 3rd Round

Really hope a decent chunk of this crop of youngsters make it through to the first team. Also hope that none of them are snapped up by clubs higher up the pyramid whom the system undoubtedly favours.

Sounds like a great win tonight. The success of the u18s and u23s is definitely something that we can be proud of.

Damn battery died as it went to pens. Which we won thanks to Evans. Heads didn't drop when Lofthouse missed the pen in ET and only one team was going to win it. MOM Owen James. Off for a pint in the Royal Dyche (yes really), Considered report tomorrow. COYY

Last edited:
Report 1 The Match. Well what a great game! Away from home on a bitterly cold night at a PL stadium with a sizable partizan crowd and we matched them despite the poor corners. Once Crooks came on to take the set pieces we got well on top. No complaint from Burnley coaches or fans about either sending off. The first lad decked Crooks as he was picking up the ball to run back to the centre circle after the goal and the second one was on the near post and punched the ball out with the keeper beaten, saved a certain goal. Both right in front of the ref. Which got them to pens with 9 men. And we won on pens! All I can say is if you can get to the next round match (CPF?) then do go. You will enjoy it.

Report 2. The Players. Keeper Evans had a good game despite gifting them their goal. Seemed to be the leader on the pitch rather than McCreadie. But the Burnley keeper was a class better so hard to see a future for Evans behind Stevens & Clayton. Jones is a big character. Maybe one-paced but kept going the whole 2 hours when the others were tiring. And he's a left-footed CB, could we finally have found someone to fill Jake Wright's boots? OJ and Elechi already look first team material., Crooks turned the game when he came on, Niblett had a good game at CB. But above all we played as a team. The Burnley lads were more skillfull and a bit fitter but played as individuals not as a team. Credit there to Leon B-S.

Report 2. The Players. Keeper Evans had a good game despite gifting them their goal. Seemed to be the leader on the pitch rather than McCreadie. But the Burnley keeper was a class better so hard to see a future for Evans behind Stevens & Clayton. Jones is a big character. Maybe one-paced but kept going the whole 2 hours when the others were tiring. And he's a left-footed CB, could we finally have found someone to fill Jake Wright's boots? OJ and Elechi already look first team material., Crooks turned the game when he came on, Niblett had a good game at CB. But above all we played as a team. The Burnley lads were more skillfull and a bit fitter but played as individuals not as a team. Credit there to Leon B-S.

Can I be the first to ask....but how tall is he?

EDIT: great report btw. I was 'watching' via Twitter. Will defo try and go to the R4 game.

Just realised that I am going to be in Burnley on the day of the U-18s cup match (11 Dec) so I have arranged to stay over and watch the game. According to the Burnley website it's a 7pm kick-off and entry is £2 (£4 for whipper-snappers). Might find myself as a crowd of 1 but definitely looking forward to it!
Worth the trip then?
GReat updates and report - thanks
Saw them in the earlier round against Hemel and was very impressed with the whole setup - the future looks in safe hands

How did Lofthouse play? I’ve been very impressed with him the times I’ve watched him this season. Could well see him at Rb soon with our injuries and with Norman’s development slowed.

Will try to add to the brilliant posts on here from Harrington’s on Saturday when Ill be at the Yeovil game .

Contender for thread of the year, this.

Pardon me - is Leon Blackmore-Such the U18 manager? And Dan Harris is his, Purse & Allen's boss, right? Sounds good, don't let Tiger find out about it.

Tiger is the one who has funded ( a fair whack it is as well ) all the development side of things and put into pace all the behind the scenes side of things that all the youth set up’s are benefitting from.

Have also been told that he’s also help fund / secure property’s for at least one of our youngsters from the u18’s in return for a signed pro deal ...

The Youth side seemed to fade away a little at the end of DEs tenure.
Tiger has definitely taken it a step further by growing the U23 team and bringing in the likes of Elechi who was previously at Man U.
This must be relatively the best youth set up we have had since the 1970s?

How did Lofthouse play? I’ve been very impressed with him the times I’ve watched him this season. Could well see him at Rb soon with our injuries and with Norman’s development slowed.

Will try to add to the brilliant posts on here from Harrington’s on Saturday when Ill be at the Yeovil game .

I didn’t watch the game but I listened in on the Burnley commentary. They were extremely complimentary about the team, our play in general and the one player they seemed most impressed by was Lofthouse

I didn’t watch the game but I listened in on the Burnley commentary. They were extremely complimentary about the team, our play in general and the one player they seemed most impressed by was Lofthouse

Although he did miss a penalty during normal time I believe?

Thanks so much, ghost of Harrington (my favourite player when I was a kid), for your remarks on the game, players, etc., and to Junior_1 for the information about Tiger's role. Very helpful and informative, both.

Back
Top Bottom