General FA Cup replays scrapped next season

Good decision. Especially with the likelihood of no gate receipts.

absolute B*****s from the FA ... devaluing/ watering down the worlds oldest cup competition even more than it already has been... shame on the FA

different cup competition I know, but those 3 cup games (under lights) at The Manor, Old Trafford ( replay inc extra time) and then back at the Manor (again a replay, which went to extra time) with Jim Smiths OUFC against Big Ron's Man U
were a trio of brilliant cup matches, eventually won during extra time by a Biggins Header. Football authorities FA, EFL are evidently fellating PL chairmen constantly, given every decision they (FA/ EFL) take, favours the mega monied 'elite' to the detriment of lower league, non league and grass roots football clubs. Bunch of incompetent cocksmokers IMO

BREAKING: This season's Carabao Cup will begin on the weekend of Saturday, September 5. The EFL Trophy starts on 8/9 Sept, with both draws this coming Tuesday.

The worry isn't the coming season - I can see why they've done it.
The worry is the inevitable 'It worked well this season so we have decided to retain it permanently' rubbish they will come out with this time next year. Thus further diluting our football heritage in favour of the Prem clubs.

Slightly off topic, but the mini end of season tournament for the Champions League and Europa League into a straight knock-out instead of two legged ties, and at neutral venues seems popular.

Slightly off topic, but the mini end of season tournament for the Champions League and Europa League into a straight knock-out instead of two legged ties, and at neutral venues seems popular.
First round of the Carabao - us vs Reading at Didcot Town?

Ahhhh, many memories of Thames Valley Royals there.. in that one sentence

absolute B*****s from the FA ... devaluing/ watering down the worlds oldest cup competition even more than it already has been... shame on the FA

different cup competition I know, but those 3 cup games (under lights) at The Manor, Old Trafford ( replay inc extra time) and then back at the Manor (again a replay, which went to extra time) with Jim Smiths OUFC against Big Ron's Man U
were a trio of brilliant cup matches, eventually won during extra time by a Biggins Header. Football authorities FA, EFL are evidently fellating PL chairmen constantly, given every decision they (FA/ EFL) take, favours the mega monied 'elite' to the detriment of lower league, non league and grass roots football clubs. Bunch of incompetent cocksmokers IMO

Understand your sentiment, but if this is only for this season only fair enough. But if they continue it next season or whenever things are "normal" again then shame on the FA

I think it's great. Less teams sitting back trying to defend against an away goal. Hope it stays

The cup replays being scrapped was happening regardless of covid.Are they still planning these to be midweek games?, if so have they considered some games may not end much before 10:30-11pm what with extra times and penalties..Why not bow further to the Prem league and have Golden Goal from the kick off and save them even more game time.
So games like the newcastle replay with excitement,drama and what cup football is all about will never happen again then.

i've said this many times,if the poor lovies play too many games contact Eufa and ask them to scrap the League format in their competitions and have straight Knockout like it once was.

I think that's all slightly unfair. We're going into a season where the future of many clubs are at stake and something, starting 6 weeks later and have the possibility of a second spike to cause further disruption. The removal of replays, that have a very small impact, is not unreasonable. In fact, it may give smaller teams more opportunities to progress with the lottery of extra time/penalties coming earlier.

Also to note first four rounds of league cup are all in September. Lots of games in September. Season to finish usual May date and there will be 11 mid week league games.

Understand your sentiment, but if this is only for this season only fair enough. But if they continue it next season or whenever things are "normal" again then shame on the FA
thin end of the wedge I fear,I hope my fears are unfounded, but...... PL U23s entering into the lower league football league trophy competition was supposed to be a trial , & look how that is/was currently ( CV19 situ may see it shelved, the competition) I don't trust the FA or EFL to 'look after' anyone but PL clubs interests

I think that's all slightly unfair. We're going into a season where the future of many clubs are at stake and something, starting 6 weeks later and have the possibility of a second spike to cause further disruption. The removal of replays, that have a very small impact, is not unreasonable. In fact, it may give smaller teams more opportunities to progress with the lottery of extra time/penalties coming earlier.
as @Concretebob points out above on this thread, if its only for one season, then reluctantly Id say fair enough (through gritted teeth), but the likelihood is it will become imposed permanently (to accommodate PL clubs European adventures/ aspirations).... most of us know the FA are untrustworthy to say the least, and EFL are not fit for purpose IMO

Tell that to Karl and the lads after a battling and griity 90 minutes at the likes of man City Spurs Arsenal etc when the Elite can bring on their superstars for extra time and we're faced with a late end,journey home and a couple of days to recover whilst another possible journey to fleetwood for a league game on the Saturday and they can rotate their squad for Super Sunday or Monday night.Also not forgetting possible lost tv revenue with home replays and potential money spinner at certain away replays.

This is the beginning of the end of football as we know it and was in the pipeline long before covid and people are swallowing it hook line and sinker

The worry isn't the coming season - I can see why they've done it.
The worry is the inevitable 'It worked well this season so we have decided to retain it permanently' rubbish they will come out with this time next year. Thus further diluting our football heritage in favour of the Prem clubs.
They already had Premier League grounds being allowed to use VAR in the FA Cup but the rest of us not last season, which created multiple sets of rules for the same competition. So they’ve already binned the ‘integrity’ of the competition as it is, meaning that canning replays permanently to cut fixtures and potentially denying small clubs money-spinning replays is probably inevitable. It’s all being swayed towards the top level to the detriment of the rest of us.

I was talking to my brother about the VAR discrepancies when we left St James’ Park and were walking back to the car in January, and mentioned that actually, you could argue it’s a clear advantage for the PL sides. That one moment in a game that the lower league sides might have at a PL ground now need to be spot on - even a 1cm stray from somebody’s armpit could wipe out a famous win or prevent a replay that generates six figures. Now, you could argue that it’s a good thing that any goals are disallowed if they’re technically off, and you could say it’s the same for both teams etc, but that would be knowingly and willingly ignoring the handicap. Because the PL side can still get the rub of the green at your place, but you can’t get it at theirs. They can be a toe offside on your pitch or the ball flicking off someone’s pinky in the lead up to the ball going in can be missed, but on their turf it’s getting ruled out. And yes, that applies to them as well, but they’ve already got the home advantage as well as the increased quality. They’re a better team, they’re at home, and anything you do to them has to be perfect when put under a microscope. That they can come to you and get a goal that you wouldn’t be allowed to have on their pitch is an indisputable slant in their favour, because their home advantage weighs a lot more than yours does.

It makes perfect sense given the short season to scrap replays, but it would also make sense to shorten the EFL trophy for the rest of us lower downs, and not invite Academy sides, so we can only play each other and in turn play less fixtures to complete the competition. That’s not happening though, is it? Because the PL clubs want their first teams to play less games, but they still want their kids to play against us even though we don’t get any sort of reprieve congestion wise. Given everything is leaning more and more in their favour, and has been before now even if people didn’t clock it, it’s only logical that the Trojan horse technique be applied here.

Guess we’ll find out in a year after they’ve already got the precedent to lean on, eh?

Tell that to Karl and the lads after a battling and griity 90 minutes at the likes of man City Spurs Arsenal etc when the Elite can bring on their superstars for extra time and we're faced with a late end,journey home and a couple of days to recover whilst another possible journey to fleetwood for a league game on the Saturday and they can rotate their squad for Super Sunday or Monday night.Also not forgetting possible lost tv revenue with home replays and potential money spinner at certain away replays.

This is the beginning of the end of football as we know it and was in the pipeline long before covid and people are swallowing it hook line and sinker
The money isn't there this year. Prize money is halved. No gate receipts. Does not make sense to have replays this season.

Are people forgetting Eufa have plans to extend the number of teams in their competitions so you really think this is a one off !

Back
Top Bottom