FA Cup draw

These games against Forest Green are ringing bells now especially the 5-1..ah the Conference years seem light years ago now

Rob Duffy scored a very nice goal in that 5-1 IIRC...scissor kick into the corner.

I think I went to all (or nearly all) of the FGR away games. The first time was I think a Friday night when we had first got relegated to the Conference, and as this was just going to be a short one season visit, everyone was keen to visit these funny little grounds. I parked at the bottom of the hill in Nailsworth, not realising how far up the hill the ground was. I think the ground was still being built and we packed out a long terrace opposite what is now their main stand, with the home fans and some STFC in a stand behind the goal to our left?

I think I went to all (or nearly all) of the FGR away games. The first time was I think a Friday night when we had first got relegated to the Conference, and as this was just going to be a short one season visit, everyone was keen to visit these funny little grounds. I parked at the bottom of the hill in Nailsworth, not realising how far up the hill the ground was. I think the ground was still being built and we packed out a long terrace opposite what is now their main stand, with the home fans and some STFC in a stand behind the goal to our left?
The first time I have heard the home fans held back after the final whistle rather than the away fans. "5-1 and you can't go home.."

Also someone parked on a roundabout which the tannoy announcer did not find amusing.

Correct. We got there early and parked literally one street away
Resident: what are you doing parking there?
Us: we'll only be a couple of hours we are here for the footbal
Resident: football? What football?

We likewise parked at the bottom of the hill, certainly tested the fitness!

That side terrace is still the same iirc but one end stand was only half built.

Yes dull game, they were beefy and dirty, finally Roofe got a slightly flukey breakthrough. I’ve avoided the bloke’s green electricity company ever since.

Somewhat ironic given the plant-based ethos of their owner!

They transported the stands from the old ground (The Lawn) and rebuild them at the new ground (The New Lawn). We had tickets for the seating stand (if you see what I mean). The problem was that at 6.45pm Stan had not turned up with the keys to open the stand. The match was not all ticket and they had no idea how many yellows would be there. The PAS announcer was a real laugh. Examples 1) Here the teams for tonights game if anyone is interested and 2) We have run out of hot water for the hot drinks in the shed. The shed was exactly that a large garden shed with two serving hatches one for the home fans and one for away supporters and was situated at one corner. The last announcement before kickoff was "That's it we are all out of pies and things. Those queing cant have anything". Such memories..... Oh and a 5-1 away win.

I knew the 1-5 game was knocking around on YouTube. Here it is.

Lining up for them was our former left back Matt Robinson and Simon Clist who would go on to be an important player for us.

Plymouth Argyle v Oxford United or Forest Green Rovers - eek

Back
Top Bottom