General FA chairman resigns

Yep, I'm waiting for the moment when a radio DJ gets sacked for referring to Sam Smith as "he" instead of "they".

I just wonder how far this Marxist stuff is going to go.
I think some of this stuff is a bit silly, yes, and what really matters is the intent behind the words, not using terms that are just a bit dated. But it’s got nothing to do with Marxists!

In general, I'm very much against cancel culture. Misspeaking shouldn't lose you your job.....and in general, in a free society, the right to offend should supersede the right to not be offended.

That being said, in one single session on the subject of diversity for crying out loud, Greg Clarke used an offensive racial epithet, made stereotypical comments about women and South Asians, and made an offensive generalization about homosexuality.

To me that frankly makes him come across as a bit of a thicko.....it shouldn't be that hard to hold a single Zoom call without saying something to potentially offend every single minority that you're supposed to represent.....and if I was the FA, I would want someone in the position who has a little more smarts and diplomacy.

Agreed. I was ready to read about another over the top witch hunt and then ended up face palming.

He’s right about girls. They don’t like being hit hard if it’s going to hurt, I’m a girls “soccer” coach. But no more than boys don’t like being hit. So a dumb statement with loaded inference. I had a post match discussion a few weeks back with the ref who said my team were too physical. I explained that I thought that was patronizing to girls football and that the same fouls wouldn’t have been called in a boys game,

The gay choice comment is just absurd. Unless he’s gay how could he possibly know. Just really outdated nonsense.

The one comment I could kind of get less agitated about is the Asian interest in IT. Without a shadow of a doubt the majority of good candidates that I recruit at work seem to come from that background but his wording was again clumsy. But there is clearly a cultural or structural appetite in that part of the world tat drives towards that industry.

Back
Top Bottom